Games freezing on W8.1 and newer drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bloodred217, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ochentay4

ochentay4 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 285 Dual-X OC
    Wow! I'm having a similar problem as you! Been reporting to Sapphire and AMD without response.

But my card crashes on both Win8.1 and Win10, fullscreen or windowed, and its not OC by me but from Sapphire. Driver 16.2.1 work perfect on both OSes. Also, my display doesnt have freesync.

My Sapphire R9 285 Dual-X OC is constantly crashing, and thanks to you I found that the only driver that DO NOT CRASH is 16.2.1. I'm on Win 10 x64 up to date.

To add more info, when the card crashes, I cant recover and have to hard-reset the CPU. This is terrible and this didnt happen on Win8.1. So I went for it and installed Win8.1 x64 on a new hard drive, installed 16.5.1, Dark Souls 3 and it crashed in 5 minutes of gameplay! But I could open task manager, kill the process, and try again. Used DDU, installed 16.2.1, all worked ok... Sigh.

So all in all, I think the card work ok, AMD drivers sucks real bad, Win10 do not play well with AMD drivers, and the only solution for me now is to use 16.2.1, which of course is far from ideal as I miss fixes that are on newer drivers (fixes for Quantum Break, Hitman, Fallout 3 and even Dark Souls 3).

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. Starfighter2

Starfighter2 Member

GPU:
    Club 3D R9 280 royalKing
    ochentay4@ Same here,only 16.2.1 and 15.11.1 are working drivers. With new Pascal green cards, Im considering to switch to the "dark side".

3. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    So that's what, 4 of us around here with this issue? Interesting, so there's clearly something wrong.

I've been using W10 which works fine for me on 16.5.1. On 8.1 I've been playing around with FreeSync. Despite this issue apparently popping up even without FS monitors, disabling it definitely changes things for me. With FS disabled games no longer seem to freeze during gameplay, but my PC does freeze entirely when I quit the game (tested on Dragon's Dogma, which had the most serious issues). With FreeSync enabled it freezes so quickly that most times I don't even get to see the main menu.

Eh, with new cards coming out in like a bit over a month I don't even know if I'll bother with nuking my W8.1 install and all that tedious business. I may go with NVIDIA this time too, the last green cards I had were a pair of 8800GTS. I've had 5850CF, 7970CF and was happy with them, but my current 290Xs have been quite disappointing with terrible, terrible CF support, iffy FreeSync and issues like this one. Not impressed. :puke2:

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Don't know if it is the same problem, but Dark Souls 2 will give me random blackscreen crashes with the sound still running and alt-tabbing back into mass effect 3 also causes black screens most of the time. However, skype is still working.

So far I don't have this issue with other games. I didn't do any heavy testing, so i'm not sure what is going on. It might be possible that we all have a different issue. I cannot rule out a faulty GPU just yet.

I'm running win 10 1511, CrossFireX and FreeSync.

Last edited: May 9, 2016

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I had a black screen with sound when tabbing back into Overwatch once, on W10. I haven't had that in games in W8.1 so I'm not too sure they're necessarily related.