Games crashing on HD 4850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by shloeb, Aug 2, 2008.

1. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    I bought a GeCube ATI HD 4850
    Now I am having a problem. Sometimes the DMC4 crashes while playing. Sometimes it even hangs and sound goes into a loop and PC restarts. when the pc restarts due to crashing of game then there is a windows message stating that "System has recovered from a serious error."
    When i check the temperatures. They are normal for GPU which is at 67 degrees. The proccy is at 50. Sometimes the PC doesn't restarts but the VPU Recover resets the Graphics Processor. Why does this happen?

This time i was at end of a mission and watching the cut scene and there was a sound of an error and the game crashed. When i checked the desktop there was no error message. Why does this happen so frequently? This has happened in a total of 6-7 times during the last 2 days.

This also happened during playing Splinter Cell Double Agent Demo. At one area the FPS came down from 100 to 25-30 and the artifacts were showing on the screen and then the PC restarted and the same old story that i said before.
    The artifacts didn't show up in any other game. Both the games were at MAX SETTINGS with AA 4X and 16X AF and all the settings set to Quality in Catalyst Control Center. The driver versions are 8.6. Please help me.

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Have you tried any other drivers? Iā€™d start there. Are those temps recorded while gaming or just what you see when checking from the desktop?

3. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    its driver related

4. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    I didn't try any other drivers. In DMC4 i have 200+ FPS in some missions. The temperatures were recorded from ATI Overdrive.

5. spanket

spanket Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770
    make sure your whole pc is at stock with no overclocks and try again. i dont care if your overclocks were stable with previous video card as a 4850 with more heat and higher power consumption can make a lot of difference

6. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    Will try the new Catalyst 8.7 Drivers. Do u think it can solve any problems?

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Install it and find out.

The CCC is only good for showing temps if you're watching it while stressing, such as rthdribl http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/#Glare. Run it, stretch it out to fill your monitor with CCC showing in the background. This will give you a decent idea of have your temps are doing while it's working.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I say PSU, it just might be , or faulty card.

Doesnt seem like drivers.

9. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    ^^ Buddy u r making me scared. I don't have any problems in COD4. Now what do u say? I have played GRID but not for long time.
    Besides the whole PC is at stock.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Can you run Furmark for an about hour ?

MAXed out, with 8xAA, and see what happens...

11. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
  12. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    I ran FurMark for an hour with everything maxed out and with 8x AA. I got 95963 o3 Marks.
    FPS Min-22
    FPS Avg-27
    FPS Max-42.
    It didn't cause any problems.
    Now what do u think?

13. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    PSU is prolly the problem here.

14. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    Why the PSU is the problem?? I think this is more than enough for this card. Isn't it?

15. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    You had on-board video before you installed the 4850; did you uninstall the on-board drivers before you installed it and then disable it in the BIOS?

If not, remove the ATi drivers, remove the 4850, boot back into windows, remove the on-board drivers, reboot, go into the BIOS and check options for disabling on-board video, shut down, install the 4850, boot back into windows and reinstall the latest ATi drivers.

16. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    Buddy i upgraded my pc. ABIT IP35-E doesn't have onboard graphics.
    One thing i just came across is that i saw the pillars and some background turn green in DMC4 during cutscenes. When i checked the temperatures of the card it was 67 degrees. The temperatures are after the hotfix. Do u think the GPU is faulty? Because it doesn't always crash games and show these kind of weird textures.

17. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
  18. tam123

tam123 Active Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon HD5870
    as much as i'de like to blame the temps, i'm gonna have to go with the others on this, it looks like your PSU is not giving it enough power, nor is 450W enough to run you system, but thats just my opinion

as for temps, quite simply, get the new 8.7 drivers, and set your own manual fan speed to about 60-65 percent using a ccc profile method, which should keep it cool enough in idle and enough in games, and try again with the games, if they still crash at that point....i'de again stress the psu :) or faulty card, which should still be under warranty at that point for u to check

19. Luxury

Luxury Member

GPU:
    2x HIS Radeon 4870 512MB
    I'm going to vote for powersupply also. Do you have a friend with a bigger one that you could borrow to test it out?

20. shloeb

shloeb Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    I tested using the new drivers. The games haven't crashed........yet. But who knows. By the way Corsair usually underrates its PSUs. This PSU can supply upto 570W. Check out its review. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/540
    Here is the quote
    It has 85% efficiency. Do u still think that way?