1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Games as a service" is fraud

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RealNC, Apr 27, 2019.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    In one hour and 15 minutes, Scott Ross lays out a very strong argument on why "games as a service" is fraud. Lots of things covered, including the false assumption of many people that you don't own the games you buy digitally because you "agreed" to some arbitrary EULA.

Yes, it's long, but 100% worth a watch.

Backstabak, Kolt, Keitosha and 3 others like this.
  2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Oh, thats very long, thanks tho, starting to watch... My experience/opinion about "games as a service" also changed over the past months...

BetA likes this.
  3. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    If it gives me the entertainment value for what I'm paying to pay for, then I'll pay for it. That's all I care about.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    And what if you decide to play it later, havent finished or decide to play it again and cant? Will you still be entertained or you just dont care, again? And thats only one thing of many reasons....

Also sounds like completely ignorant to me. Just loving these "i dont care" comments. And maybe, just maybe, thats one of those reasons "games as a service" is even a thing now to begin with!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Backstabak, BetA, Dragam1337 and 2 others like this.

5. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Monetization beyond cosmetics needs to go no matter the game.

Paying for in-game currency, experience, weapons, etc. is p2w and they're doing this with $60 games.

I was disappointed when I found out you can pretty much buy 100,000 gold in WoW for only $20. That's more then you'll ever need for leveling 1-120 and the future.

Ah, let's not forget Battlefront 2.

Looking back at older games this like paying for cheat codes when it comes to singleplayer.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    is there a list of these service games ?

7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    That's probably one of the most important videos on this subject out there. I'd go as far as to say that all video gamers should watch it entirely at least once. The more informed we are, the less companies bend us over with their "business practices" (at least that one in particular; 'As a Service').

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    This development is far far worse than store exclusives.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Any example of goods as a service?

Only watched about 15mins so far, but wish it was an article as could have read it in about 20mins.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Man how gaming is deteriorating very fast.

It started with small DLCs, more DLC, patch 1 day to unfinished game, In Game microtransactions(even though you f***** paid 60$ at least), Early Access games that being sold with the full price, exclusives on PC that can potentially divide or limit the reach-ability of the games to players, due to how many launcher you need for each game...

The recent game would be MK11, wanted to purchase it for the PC, but the port isn't all that fancy, and the grinding omg that's absurd(not talking about MTA).

Kolt and fantaskarsef like this.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I agree with you 100%. Gaming is for entertainment for me also.
    Gaming since gaming started back in the 1970's.
    Always been for the fun,yes gaming has changed over the years and now they have colour
    TV's and phones that fit in your pocket.

So I do not care where I get my gaming entertainment from as long as I can play once in awhile and years from now gaming services will be the normal way of gaming most likely,plug some stuff in your head and pay to play.

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    ....lol. the question is not if gaming is entertainment or not! You even provided a point which is spoken of in the video..

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It must be true if some random youtuber says so!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    TBF, it's a very well researched and presented. It's not just a rant.

When it comes to my gaming habits, i don't think it's something that is a cause for concern for me though as online gaming isn't something that i enjoy anymore.

Kolt and TheDeeGee like this.
  15. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    No, it started with people buying this crap, without even considering is it good idea. Brainwashed consumers.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    Well, it's part of the culture in which everyone has to be the first, even the media operates this way. Get it out the door even without fully doing the work.
    But it wasn't that fantastic early on either in the PC world. IRQ not functioning, poor and loud cooling, constant need for upgrades, different competing APIs etc..
    These days I wait a couple of months after release before I consider purchasing anything. Let a couple of patches come out... although I actually didn't do this for Arkham Knight, and I ended up being one of them who had very little problems with the early version.

17. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Finally got to watching the entire video.. was definitely worth a watch. Not a big fan of GAAS and never have been, but this clearly helps to show how negative the whole thing can really be (for the sake of preservation mostly).

TheDeeGee, BetA and ShadowDuke like this.
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    A lawyers take on OP's video:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Ross mentioned in his recent video chat that this is like the only guy who actually got his video meaning correctly. A lot of other "youtube" lawyers interpreted his video too literally and got sidetracked.

Kolt likes this.
  20. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    I noticed,..for a lawyer he often is using/saying "i think.."