Games/apps run fine - but browsing speed at a halt?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Faux_x, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Faux_x

Faux_x Member

GPU:
    Radeon 3870 x2 1 GB PCI-E
    I moved to a new apartment about 2 months ago and got RoadRunner internet. Ever since then my browsing speed is ungodly slow - I usually have to try refreshing a page 5-6 times to get it to load, YouTube videos will buffer for a minute even on low quality. The issue persists between all my machines (old PC, new PC after replacing every part and reformatting, laptop). Running speedtests usually shows fine speeds (~30 ms ping, 20 mbps up, 2 mbps down), that is, when I can load speedtest.net.

I have had a tech guy come out several times now. They've replaced the ends on all the wiring and run tests on my router (said it looks fine and that there's nothing else they can do). I know it's not my machine because my browsing speed is blazing when I'm at my parents house. They say the connection looks stable from their end and the techs say it's not my router. If it makes any difference my modem/router is a Netgear CGD24G.

I'm at a loss for what the problem could be...any ideas?

2. Tequila

Tequila Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Hi,

1) Look in event viewer for DNS related issues.
    2) Change your DNS in your router to googles 'free' DNS servers
    3) Update flash to the latest version (added this as most parents don't update software)
    4) Try a speedtest that checks for packetloss

Also,

Try opening a cmd prompt and doing a tracert to see how your connection is routed.

3. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Sounds like it could be an upstream routing issue,

Ping www.yahoo.co.uk - this will test you have a DNS that is resolving

Tracert to the IP the above test has resolved to, see if the trace completes, if it does sometimes and doesn't other times see where the packets die away or if it takes a different route when it works than when it doesn't

Also worth trying a pathping to the same address - this will show you if there is packetloss mid route where it is.

If the packets always reach the 2nd hop (as in have left your router + the next hop) then the problem is probably an ISP routing issue

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011