Gamer's Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by the_mad_medic, Aug 30, 2008.

1. the_mad_medic

the_mad_medic Guest

GPU:
    cirrus logic isa, 512kb
    Greetings,
    I hope that I've posted this in the right section. :3eyes:

Stardock has recently announced a “Gamer's Bill of Rights” which they hope will "encourage the PC game industry to adopt standards that are more supportive of PC gamers".

The Gamer’s Bill of Rights are as follows:
    1.Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.
    2.Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
    3.Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.
    4.Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
    5.Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
    6.Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
    7.Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
    8.Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
    9.Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
    10.Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

What are your views on they above? Do you think it will work and gain support with pc gaming?

Source :
    http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=322522
    http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=1095

2. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    +1 Gets my vote

3. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I was hoping somebody would post this up! I think this is so needed and on there end we need to agree with a bill of rights for consuming their games. Also I hate to see that there wasn't anything said about demos! If I walk into a store I expect to see the product that I want on display to check it out why not my games?

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    +1

:thumbup:

5. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    +10, i agree, will it ever happen? .. no :(

6. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Very solid, especially number 8!

7. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Who wrote these rights? A game pirater? lol j/k

I strongly agree with this one:

2.Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.

I am fed up with buggy games released in a "beta" state. The worst offender I know of is Splinter Cell Double Agent... but even the patches didnt fix most of the problems. After that game, I will never by an Ubisoft game that was coded by Ubisoft Shanghai. Thank goodness the next Splinter cell will be made by Montreal like the first two :)

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i suggest we all copy and send it to each game publisher by email in mass
    the more gamers who send it, the more it will get their attention

unfortunatly, like most things of this nature, everyone will complain and do nothing.
    im sending a copy to each one here in a few....so which is it. complain or try?

9. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    Oh boy +1 from me too!

10. oscar8516

oscar8516 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640
    gets my vote!!!!

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    looks very good. If any devs and pubs gave a damn it might actually be something to look forward to!

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    +1 from me also

13. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Well I saw this on the AOC fourms today, and its kinda funny they are suporting this FunCom that is, and AOC had broken almost every ruel in it. lol

14. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Definitely agree on this one, since it should encourage higher standards when it comes to games being released on PC. (and I'm all for that since that'll create a better experience for everyone) :)

15. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I will add a new one:

11.Gamers shall have the right demand not pay to play online, and demand support for the smooth gameplay of the online game and with appropriate software, and updated, that ensures a fair play, free of hackers that can destroy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008

16. Postalisback

GPU:
    Good suggestion but difficult to implement.

17. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Let's see:

1.Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.

If retailers allowed this, many people would buy-copy-return, repeat. And many would would play-finish-return. Not going to happen, besides if the game doesn't work on your pc it's your own fault.

How is this even possible? Never mind that "Finished state" could mean many things to different people, since games are built by people they will never be bug free, not to mention that games just as everything else are driven by cash flow, there is only so much time and money. This "right" isn't even feasable.

3.Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.

What does this even mean? Big fixes, extra content, what? And what if developer feels the game is fine out of the box. Also, doesn't this contradict #2, if all games are released finished than why would we need updates?

4.Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.

What if developers feel this is the best way to approach patching? Besides, I can't think of one single player game that doesn't have patches avalible for download seperatly without using their patching program.

5.Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.

"Runing adequately" means many things to many people, some are fine with 20fps, some with low detail, some can't live without 60fps. This one makes no sense.

6.Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.

All license agreements mention hidden copy protection crap, gamers do consent to it. If you do not, you are entitled for refund as stated in any eula.

7.Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.

If publishers feel they can make more money by selling a newer version of the same game, it should be up to them if they want to give away a free update to those that got the old version. What are we, commies?

8.Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.

My car has a lock on it, those mother****er car makers are treating me like a criminal, this "right" has the same logic. We've always had copy protection, from "type in word from page xx in the manual" to cd keys, star force, and now popular online verification.

.Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.

Fair enough.

10.Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

This goes back to #8, and it isn't going to happen for a good reason.

People do really whine too much about copy protection, in all my years of gaming I've never had a game not work because of it. And publishers often remove the limited installs/cd key verification later when they no longer feel piracy is an issue to the succes of their game, such as 2K removing limited installs with Bioshock and ID removing cd check with Doom 3.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    THIS THIS THIS. Except, I'm basing it off another reason. I really don't know how you get your disks scratched, it's not hard to put away your disk, unless an accident happened, or you just are irresponsible with your disks, and just leave them out, but if you have a working serial of a game, you should be allowed to back up your game disk, or download it off the net if needed. You aren't pirating then, since when you buy games, you really just pay for the license for the game.

19. Postalisback

GPU:
    Yeah, but what about all those people who can't play MANY games that they purchased because of this copy protection? hmm? :rolleyes:

20. PistolGripPump

PistolGripPump Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 896MB
    WOW! This gets my +1