Game stuttering in HP Laptop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MDThomas, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM.

1. MDThomas

MDThomas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    I recently purchased an new HP "gaming" laptop and while playing Milestone's "Supercross 3" game, I noticed a pretty severe stutter while playing - very annoying. I am using a cooling pad so it doesn't seem to be getting more than warm while playing. I'm really new to all this so can anyone assist me with dealing with the stutter?

The video card I'm using is INVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti. Task Manager says it has 11.9 GB memory. If any other info is needed please let me know.

Thanks so much!
    Mike

2. Rapyer

Rapyer Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    how much ram does your laptop have?

when you check taskbar memory tab, does it say 12gb in use ? how much is cached?

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The recommended GPU for that game, minimum, is a GTX 760. That GPU is only slightly slower than a 1050 Ti.
    Also, seeing that your using a laptop variant, it's pretty likely you're cutting it very close for that game.
    Try lowering all graphics settings as low as they can go. Try setting your resolution to 720p.

4. MDThomas

MDThomas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    My reply…….

Ram is 16GB.

While the game is running (not in-game playing), task manager shows:

Intel graphics utilization = 39-41 percent; Shared GPU memory = 0.4/7.9 GB; GPU memory = 0.7/11.9 GB

GTX 1050 Ti utilization = 46-52 percent; Dedicated ram = 0.6/4.0 GB; GPU memory = 0.7/11.9 GB; Shared GPU memory = 0.0/7.9 GB

Hope that helps. :)

5. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Try using throttlestop and:
    Undervolt your laptop, increase Power limits for cpu
    Use speedshift at 0 instead of using speedstep
    Set iccmax to highest value in all option that are avalible.
    Maybe igpu is holding you as it is throttling for sure. If you have Optimus even If you are using Nvidia everything goes through igpu
    HP Laptops are throttled bitches in so many ways that you cant if think of

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    I would start with deleting what ever bloat you may be running in the background. Go through the installed programs and delete all of those you are not using.

Krzyslaw likes this.
  7. MDThomas

MDThomas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9

I downloaded throttlestop and when launching it, it displayed the message "CPU is not supported" and wouldn't open. Anything else I can try to deal with throttling?

Thanks again!
    mike

8. unclewebb

unclewebb Active Member

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
  9. MDThomas

MDThomas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    unclewebb - Must have been just the download. Tried it again and it works now. I'll get back and let you know how things go. Thanks again!

10. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Within the game, go to the Video Options menu.
    Change the In Window option to Yes.
    Choose the Refresh Rate to be at 60 frames.
    Otherwise, let it be Dynamic in which case it will depend on your monitor.
    Turn Vsync ON.
    -------------------------------------
    also may be there's (NON -ESSENTIAL) apps running in the background such as......

pc optimizing tools, hdd/ssd defrag tools
    -------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 5:16 PM

11. MDThomas

MDThomas New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    Krzyslaw: Where do I find iccmax? Also, do I make any changes to igpu, and if so, are they effected by changes I made to CPU, CPU Cache and GPU? Thanks!

12. unclewebb

unclewebb Active Member

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
    Press the ThrottleStop FIVR button and look in the middle column towards the bottom for the IccMax adjuster.

When troubleshooting, I would turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and then go play a game. When you are done, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be stored in your ThrottleStop / Logs directory with today's date in the file name. If you would like some suggestions, attach your log file and some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup to your next post.

The stutter might be GPU related but it is a good idea to make sure your CPU is running at its rated speed. Some gaming laptops have some major throttling issues. If that checks out OK, then you can try logging your GPU speed with something like GPU-Z.