Game Playing Sadness

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DerSchniffles, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Gaming should not be a chore. People are gaming becouse they want to not becouse they have to.

2. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Im 43 and have gamed all my life from before atari 2600 to ps4 since playing racing games other than the improvements over time im bored of them the same with all genres i just cut back and buy the odd game insted of practically every highly rated game, last game i completed was resident evil 7 next game i will probably get is horizon zero dawn one of my favourite games was dead space 1 then for me it went a bit meh

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Thanks guys/gals. I figured this would be a normal thing of getting older, its just...new to me. I have put some much time into it in the past that it feels weird not having it such a huge part of my interest. Im pretty much the only one of my core group of friends who still games with any intensity or gets excited for new releases haha. At least my lady pretends to care ;).

@Task, I actually downloaded the Beta of For Honor to try tonight. Will let you know how I like it

@Kiss, I love the witcher 3, got the dlc for christmas from my lady but after putting tons of time into it on 2 playthroughs, I kinda need a break from it. I will absolutely finish the dlc, but need to play a few other games first.

Too many to respond to individually, but tons of good ideas. You guys get me ;)
    Good to have this community.

I will add you TJ.

I do have other hobbies, I love fitness, do a lot of mountain biking in the spring summer, hiking, movies, music. Gaming just has always been my favorite, ye old faithful if you will.
    Its just getting harder to get excited. Just like most of you, ive been playing since I was 5; Ive slayed so many dragons, zombies, monsters, demons, humans, vikings, warriors, wizards etc. Ive been in a billion spacecraft. Had a trillion jump scares, platformed 50 million platforms, chased a billion scores, created cities, destroyed empries, explored tombs and treasures, and found out a million times that the princess is in another castle. Its getting so hard to keep my imagination going when Ive done everything time and time again.

Now games are getting so expensive to develop, everything is getting really "samey" and jack of all trades but master of none. It makes me sad. Even hardware is getting streamlined so much. I remember when overclocking was a challenge and actually took some math and some brain power.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips, I will try some of these games and find some new ones to give a go.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    To me modern developers are concentrated too hard on graphical aspect - realism, special effects, leaving game design, dialogs, story on the background.

I am sure that the more realistic picture the less imagination is involved in viewer`s head. Compare book and movie. When you read a book your imagination is 100% involved and you act like co-author. When you see a movie you look at result of crew`s imagination and you just passively receive.

I am reluctant to play old games when they lack the story. Back then Doom, Quake were all new so we were absorbed into gameplay and poor details on screen just ignited our imagination to compensate. Now I will not play old Doom and Quake because they are not new anymore and there is not story in them. But for example I replayed first Deus Ex two or three years ago, and again good story maintained my interest and poor graphic was just invitation to my imagination. I was in shock when after I finished the game I discovered that I could even save Paul (brother of main character) - what a magnificent tree of choices guys implemented in that game.

5. Kono

Kono Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    I think I know where your issue is after giving some more thoughts. In fact, you already found the issue without realizing it. :)

^ FPS, that's where your problem, you are technically have been playing the same linear game over and over and over and over and over etc... As soon as you switched to ROTTR, "that was really fun". You see? I remember same thing happened to me. I got stagger and sick of FPS. Then I try out Bloodborne, it got me hook back to gaming again, then, I play Dark Souls, have a purpose, have an item I want to get, have a commitment to do something rather than just follow the same brain dead trail, aka FPS. Playing game like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, The Division, Nioh etc.. actually required more thinking than FPS games, which is more fun. As it question you rather than just reflect, reflect, reflect, and get pissy at 12yo kids. lol. Anyway, try other genre, and have a goal, aka, build the best armor, or weapon or farm for the ultimate legendary super rare items, or build a GOD, whatever, have a goal.. :D FPS is pretty boring, good for short burst, definitely not the long run like the way you have played.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    My interest in gaming is also diminishing drastically.

So far I'm practically only playing The Division and occasionally dabble in BF1.

I consider it a good thing and I hope it dies out further over time so I will finally focus on other things in life.

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Same is happening here. While I love the thought of gaming when coming home from work, I can't find myself starting up a game. Mostly it will be browsing and Netflix (Star Trek galore).

Maybe it's my age (36), but a few weeks ago I finished Life is Strange. I really loved that game. It really captivated me. Maybe I should try some of the Telltale games (WD season 1 and 2, The wolf among us etc.)

I have a fondness towards the Civilization series, but Civ 6 was greatly disappointing. I have great hopes for ME: Andromeda.

8. ayakaza

ayakaza Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 AORUS
    Same here when i am at work i want to game and when i come back i have no idea what to play even tho i have hundreds of choices.

Same things happen with movie sometimes.

9. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Definitely age related.
    As others mention, take a break and come back.

10. kaingr

kaingr Member Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    gta v ,witcher 3,bioshock series,....but maybe you should try some indies or good old school games like legacy of kain series also some strategy like c&c and warhammer dawn of war...mix it up .Thats my suggestion good luck....gaming scene has become shovelware games that you wont remember in a month.

11. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    That's because you play every shi*ty game that is out. You have mentioned some, and especially those MMOs!

12. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    There are First Person Puzzle Games if you want to try them. I played with these in the past: Portal 1-2, Quantum Conundrum, Qube, Magrunner, Talos Principle, Antichamber (couldn't really figure out), Magnetic: Cage Closed <-- left this after a few puzzles, it was meh. I'm gonna try Turing Test at some point.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    I don't, I'm very selective.

I pick maybe 1 or 2 shooters that are somewhat fun to wreck stuff in on public servers these days (my competitive days are over) and the rest is mostly immersive games.

Next on the list is probably ME:A and... well after that I don't even know.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I have the same often, idea of gaming appeals more than gaming itself.

If you like storytelling games I can really recommend Firewatch.

15. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I've experienced the same thing and I actually nailed it down not long ago. When I was younger, up until about my mid-twenties, games would just captivate me, no effort required. I would sit back and get sucked in.

Then as my life started to get busier, and I started to have more responsibilities, work and family, on my mind, I realized games no longer did this of their own accord.

I had to actually engage to get any desired enjoyment out of a game.

This means paying attention to the story, reading the lore in-world, etc. If you don't put in the effort to get yourself invested, then of course you're not going to get invested.

I'm not sure why it's happened exactly, but I figure it's a combination of there being more in general on my mind at this age versus when I was still in university or just out of it.

Speaking of which, I find it's actually the same way with a lot of media and even books. Before I could get into a TV series pretty easily but now I have to try and if it still doesn't hook me, then I know it's not for me. I don't watch as many films as I used to. I am more choosy with the books I buy than I used to be. Before I'd read any old dreck, but now I find I can't do that anymore.

*shrug*

16. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Let us know how it goes with ESO if you try it. For me, just over 60, I'm still mainly into graphics with lookers like Witcher 3, Deus Ex MD and others. But sometimes I got hooked on action like America's Army and rpg style such as Guild Wars 1 & 2 and a little of ESO. And all of those happen to look good too or did in their time.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I can get easily bored playing modern games, but for some reason playing old games never gets boring for me (nes/snes, emulators like neogeo, PC 1996-2006 era games, xbox classic, xbox 360, ps2, psx, ps3). For example Need For Speed 2015 bored me after 15 minutes, while I can play need for speed 2,3,4,5,6 (ps2 version) again and again (I dont even remember how many times I have played these games).

I feel developers are trying to reinvent the wheel in modern games. For example in old need for speed gameplay was simple, but enjoyable there were many amazing tracks with beautiful sceneries, while NFS 2015 is big open world game that feels empty (and that one scenery gets easily bored).

Yesterday I have run unreal 1 just for a second in order to see what moders done to this game, and you know what? 4 hours later, and I was still playing that old game :). I still have so many old games that I would like to play (around 200 if not more), but I dont have time for that.

And BTW- I think games should be just a part of your life, not all your life. IMO there is something wrong with guys, who spend time only playing games and cant enjoy real life (and there are so many things to do in life besides games).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    A lot of older games, even though their visuals lacked, had a lot of atmosphere.

It's one of the reasons imo why the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro games were so great imo, the atmosphere sucks you right in.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yea Metro games are very strong in atmosphere and have great graphics too. Haven't gotten into Stalker games so far for some reason.

Need to give them another shot, maybe they would click now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  20. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Thanks for all the responses. I suppose I just need a break and to try some new types of games. Immersion for me is king right now, I want to be captivated and have been trying genres I typically dont play. It helps.

@S.T.A.R.A.C. Haha! I have always liked fps games and like the frantic action. Its not like I only play those types of games, they are just my favorite. I have over 200 games in steam and not all of them are twitch fps games ;)

I will say that I recently saw John Wick 2 in theaters and the first thing I said to my lady after we left the theater was "why is there not a game about this right now?" First game that popped into my head was Max Payne 3 so I started playing that. Having a blast.

@MikeG Yes! Graphics are fun for me, I love making games look crazy awesome, makes everything more immersive and to me is part of the pc hardware hobby.

@netnexus I think you hit the nail on the head man. I have been realizing that taking it slower in games has made it much more enjoyable. Like the witcher 3 for example. I used to just run everywhere and do quests and hack up monsters. But then I decided that every new place I went to, I would make geralt walk instead of run and guess what? I started noticing the world around me 10x more, the lore started making sense and I was blown away.