Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    Worth the risk

Unless they keep teleporting things tho

2. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080TI 11GB
    Its a great show. I don't care if they are in one place one minute and in another in a second mintue. It's still a good show and entertaining with good actors (majority).

To be fair teleportation is in every show. I mean what the hell do people want? Endless walking and climbing scenes with no dialogue?

I get they want it to be closer to the books or even just for the sake of realism, but even great shows like Rome which is one of my top ten had teleportation scenes.

The minute you watch could be an hour or a year in some cases on T.V. Try to think about it like that and not let it sour your viewing.

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    Teleporting is about "real" teleporting, idc if they teleport things from one minute to the other in my screen.

But I do care if they teleport things inside the show, you know, 1 day and everything happens like that...

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The last episode had a few scenes that were a bit cool, but the whole plot was just so stupid.

Regarding the teleportations, the time factor is always a problem in movies. But the problem in these episodes is that there barely are any scenes between the teleports.
    The part covering Gendry's run to the rescue scene was just ridicilous though.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX 1070 iChill x4
    I get what you mean with the teleports. I felt this season was rushed from the very first episodes. If they made 2 seasons out of it, they could have given extended scenes which would have felt more natural.

I totally loved this episode, will be even more epic next week :D

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    They condensed the show in order to be able to budget the dragons and increased CG and stuff. I read an article that just shortening it 3 episodes saved them $40M on casting alone, which makes sense given rumors that 5 actors are being paid $2M+ an episode. So those 5 alone save $30M that can be used elsewhere.

And while it sucks that there is some 'teleportation' stuff going on between scenes, I think they are making up for it with the epic battle sequences and stuff. And given the time constraints, I think they are making decent progress in order to get the show where it needs to be for a finale. I've said it before, I think the books are obviously much better, but the show is extremely entertaining on it's own. HBO could have phoned in the last two seasons, or worse dragged it on for 10 more - but they decided to go out with a bang and I think they're doing a decent job.

Solfaur likes this.
  7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    I've never had a problem with the 'teleportation' stuff going on in the show. Partly was because the early seasons had a lot of people doing a lot of things over quite a large area so the show could flip between their actions and give a sensible sense of time passage. Even now it's possible to explain stuff like Eurons magic fleet by simply saying that while RR Martin would have spent half a book explaining the goings on between two insignificant houses the show, simply for pacing can't waste an episode showing the passage of time. However the last episode stretched that to the limits, don't get me wrong it was a really great episode but the passage of time, specifically how long they were on that island for... was it days, weeks, minutes I saw the sun set and rise but what you're saying is Genrdy got to the wall, the Raven ot from the wall to Dragon Stone and then Dany flew all the way back in what appeared to be the space of about half a day?

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah I agree they didn't do a good time of showing how much time passed.

Some dedicated nerd (I say this in a loving way) on /r/gameofthrones did the math:

Regarding Gendry, The Raven, and the timing of it all, it makes sense. I'm going to assume since they were looking for a lone White that they were not going in a straight line from East watch, they were probably going back and forth in a zigzag (rip rickon) so Gendry running at full speed back to the wall, let's say that took about 4 hours. The trip from Castle black to Winterfell is about 600 miles (a little farther from East watch), a raven going full speed (28mph) could probably make that trip in a little over a day. From Winterfell to King's Landing is about A Thousand Miles according to Cersei in S5E6, so it would be about the same maybe a little more from Winterfell to Dragonstone. So let's say it takes the raven 4 days to get to Dragonstone. Dragons on the other hand, I couldn't find much info about how fast they can go. So for the sake of argument let's say they top out with a rider at about 175 mph. So that's about a 12-hour flight straight to Snow Team 6. So the overall time it takes Danny to get to Jon, is about 5 days. This makes sense considering that they had to wait for the ice to freeze over the lake again. Considering that the ice had to support a huge hoard of wights, the ice would have to be around 8 inches thick. Assuming an average temperature of 10 °F (they're not that far north) the ice would be growing at 1.5 inches per day. This works out to 7.5 inches of ice. Guys, the math works out.

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
    Watched it last night. Holy crap!!

10. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 980 GTX
    Anyone notice they are extending this series so they can get more $$$$$ into season 8?

11. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Huh? This season is shorter than any of the ones that came before it, including one of the shortest episodes in the entire run. Not really sure what it is you're trying to say here?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Season 8 is even shorter - only 6 episodes.

13. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 980 GTX
    You don't get it they are extending the series into 8 for one reason and one reason only the network is making billions since over 12 milion viewers are now watching.
    When they could have finished the series this year and finaly put it to bed.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Nah, it's you who doesn't get it. They have been rushing the story ever since season 5-6, to the point where in season 7 it got to be a teleportation fest. If they compressed it even more and put the content from 8 in 7 it would have been a disaster. They could EASILY have made 10+ seasons of quality content if they wanted to, but they chose the quick cash route. And after they'll make several spinoffs, where the story and dialogue will likely be even weaker.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    holy crap :eek:

That is all.

16. BoabyKenobi

BoabyKenobi New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700
    Wow. Just watched the finale of season 7.
    Just. Utterly. Epic.

17. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Insane finale! Can't believe we might have to wait 2 years for the final season.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Totally predictable and once again shows how stupid the wight plot was

19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    The Wight Plot had legs two potential decent routes to go.

The first was involving Brandon, we saw what happened to the magic barrier protecting the three eye raven's tree, the idea being that Brandon's encounter with the Wites had some sort of adverse effect on the magic, since his return, him passing through the barrier suddenly allowed them to get inside the protected area, now image if that same magic was in effect on The Wall, Brandon 'passed' through that earlier this season, what if this then had the same effect.

The second was a magic muguffin that the book mentions at least more than once and I believe the show mentioned in one episode way back when John Snow was boinking Mrs you don't know nothing John Snow.

The actual ending the way they got through was daft a total case of if things hadn't gone the way they did they literally had no plan.

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
    Up to date. Holy crap.