Game keeps skipping and frames drop way too low

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Y0ka, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Y0ka

Y0ka Guest

GPU:
    Msi 1080 SeaHawk
    My Rig
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Stock
    • GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Sea hawk X)
    • MOBO: MSI ATX DDR4 AM4 AMD X370 Chipset SATA III (64bit/s) Motherboard (X370 SLI PLUS)
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz- actually running 2088MHz
    • Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms
    • Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver S Gaming Headset
    • Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    • Mousey: Corsair Gaming GLAIVE RGB
    • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W
    • Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB
    • Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver S Gaming Headset
    • Drive: *MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 SSD (120G
    So I've been playing player unknowns battle grounds (PUBG) for a while now and my computer just started dropping frame rate to an absurdly low number...I hit about 35 at lowest and jump up to around 100 SOMETIMES. The average is about 55-60. I had previously OC'ed my GPU, RAM, and CPU to a very safe number with my 1 click BIOS options. I switched everything back to default and even ran another Win 10 on my extra m.2 ssd with a fresh install of all my drivers, game, etc....still bad. Ran some benchmarks when I had my OC's and somehow had great scores.

Firestrike 1.1: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13816880
    3DMARK 11: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12423551

I double checked my download and upload speeds and they are right on par with my 30download and 10upload...the game also will act jumpy even during higher frames (90+). I've double checked with friends who have computers around my hardware criteria and they have smooth games 99% of the time. I do not 100% of the time haha. I double checked compatibility with all of my hardware and it all checks out. I'm baffled and hurting since I just started streaming on twitch ( twitch.tv/y0kalol ) this season and all of a sudden this happens.

P.s.- Since I stream, all of these tests were done with my applications closed. I opened up my OBS and started streaming and dropped to a constant 7 FRAMESSSS!!!! Here's the video of me trying to start my stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183061969 and here's from 2 days prior with no changes to my settings: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182549721please help meh! Thank you all!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Y0ka

Y0ka Guest

GPU:
    Msi 1080 SeaHawk
    And just a heads up since the forum isn't allowing me to edit for some reason...That second twitch video with the good frames has a "please" on the end that needs to be seperated haha.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Dropping frames mid games sounds like overheating. Make sure to monitor your GPU temperature in GPU-Z. Also check CPU temperature.

Does your game drop frames without streaming?

4. Y0ka

Y0ka Guest

GPU:
    Msi 1080 SeaHawk
    I double checked the temps as well and my gpu never goes past 55 in temp and the cpu sits low as well, but I cannot remember what the exact number was. The game does drop frames WITHOUT streaming. I will see about 25-40 frames happening a lot. While streaming, i hit 7 now.

Edit: Just double checked the cpu temp while playing for 15 mins and it was at 43

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think PUBG is just that unstable. Engine is still need to mature. Right now, it prefers high IPC, so it probably throttles specific cores and cause frame drop.

I can only suggest to check if you not running out of RAM (memory leak) during gaming and make sure you don't have frame drops in other games or benchmarks.
    Kinda sucks that game got famous so fast and devs unable to keep up with optimizing the engine.

6. Y0ka

Y0ka Guest

GPU:
    Msi 1080 SeaHawk
    Yeah it's a tough one to figure out. I did have some frame drops in CS:GO...which shouldn't happen either. I'll double check my memory though. Are you familiar with disabling cores? I thought i read once that most games run best on 4 cores right now.