Game has suddenly stopped allowing me to save

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Halloween Jack, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Ti AMP!
    Hi guys,

I have Skyrim VR and Oculus Rift. I played for 3 hours and could save normally. After a break of a week and the last patch of the game I can no longer save.
    I get the message:

The Save/Load operation failed.

I can load saves but not save.

I have tried:

Deleting all the save files and starting again
    Running Skyrim as Admin
    Reinstalling skyrim
    Reinstalling Steam on a different drive and then Skyrim too.
    Checking Security on the save folder (it's C:\Users\Dan\Documents\My Games\Skyrim VR\Saves) and set to Everyone - Full permission.
    Disabling Bitdefender AV.

And I still get the same problem.

Nothing else has changed on my system.

I've googled it a lot and it seems people have had the issue on standard Skyrim and even the PS4 version, mostly fixing by one of the methods above.

One thing I read is a bit of a long shot. English was not his first language so I didn't really understand, but it was to do with another app using a cloud to save stuff and this clashed with Skyrim somehow.

And I have recently changed to SafeinCloud password manager.

But I disabled cloud saves and still had same issue.

I have no idea what else to try. I thought it's probably more of a clash somewhere so kinda a general software issue and one of you clever chaps might be able to help...

Any ideas?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You can use a program like procmon.exe to spy after a file operations in game process to see what is gong on under the hood. It can be a stupid bug like saving into strange absent folder or saving to read-only file.
    Are there variables in config file(s) for a file stuff?

3. Halloween Jack

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Ti AMP!
    Thanks, I gave that a try but it lists 1000s of reg entries every second. I have no idea what's going on or what to look for :(

Can't see which is the attempt to save.

I can confirm that Skyrim also cannot save new settings like shadow distance. I think these are in the SkyrimPrefs.ini. which still shows the date 07/04/18, the the day I could last save.

So I guess Skyrim as a whole cannot save to that folder.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by this...

Cheers

4. Halloween Jack

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Ti AMP!
    Sorted! OMG I'm so happy now.

It was actually Bitdefender blocking it :mad:

Even though one of the first things I did was to add Skyrim VR to its AV exclusion list. And then when that didn't work I disabled the AV, it still managed to block it.

I checked its logs and found a mention that it had blocked Skyrim. Following the note it gave me the option to 'Allow' this sorted the issue.

Must be slightly different to the AV section or something. Very annoying. Never had the issue before with any other game.

Maybe someone at Bitdefender had an issue with Bethesda charging £40 for a 6 year old game... who knows?

Anyway. Thought I'd mention it in case someone else had the issue.

Like I say, it was fine at first, must have been some confusion with either prog having an update.

Cheers

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

There are several buttons (and menu items) in procmon.exe to switch spying after registry operations, file operations, process and thread events and iirc network operations. All of these can be spied in any combination. Sorry, I forgot to mention it.

I meant some ini- or cfg-file with settings used by game. Sometimes folder and file options are there too.

Congratulations for solving the problem (so quick).

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah this is why i have my "games" folder and "saves" folder set to exculde in my AV, of coarse this only matter exception rule is working

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Bitdefender is utter rubbish and doesn't do what you tell it to do, still blocks apps you whitelisted etc. My biggest fail to get it as an AV. Glad you got it sorted out, wanted to post to check with your AV's permissions before I read you solved it.