Game framing due to card damage?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by garyofcourse, Dec 26, 2010.

1. garyofcourse

garyofcourse New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT 130M
    I have a GeForce GT 130 M graphics card on my HP HDX16 laptop (core 2 duo P7550 @ 2.26GHz, 6 gb ram tho only 3 gb usable due to 32bit windows 7)

I play a game called Team Fortress 2 a lot and it used to run smoothly. After all my specs exceed requirements of this 3 yr old game by a fair amount. But off late it began to lag/frame a lot. My ping is very good so I figured that maybe its time to clean up my system. I formatted hard drive and reinstalled windows and everything. However I am still framing a lot in the game, getting 10-12 fps which is pretty awful.

I was wondering if this may be a graphics card issue. My laptop tends to get very hot when gaming. In fact it is a little too hot for my lap even when just using microsoft word. So Im starting to wonder if the high temperatures have fried my graphics card. Is framing in games a possible sign of damaged graphics card? I do not have any other graphics issues or artifacts on screen etc otherwise that would have made me confident it was a graphics card issue.

Also if it is a graphics card issue, what does one do with a laptop in this situation? Im pretty sure HP will charge a lot to repair something like this (Im beyond my 1yr warranty) so does that mean I gotta dump this laptop in the trash/recycling bin? The laptop is still great for surfing web, word processig, watching movies... its only the games .. at least so far.

2. bouf0010

bouf0010 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 DCII SLI - H2O

the cause of the low FPS could be your graphics card down clocking due to the high heat... try getting yourself a laptop cooling pad, they are pretty cheap and it made a difference for me when i was gaming on a laptop!

3. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    better is to clean the fans and heatsinks of your laptop. Get yourself a can of compressed air and clean that mess out.

4. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    +1 for cooling pad, try get one with fans in. Some versions of drivers also give issues with mobile gpus, my laptop's radeon card performed terribly with the 10.11 drivers and was perfect again when I reverted to the 9.8 drivers.