Game crash and codec question

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by shopcatch, Oct 13, 2019.

1. shopcatch

shopcatch Guest

GPU:
    660TI
    greetings.

ive been having an issue with msi afterburner/rtss causing a game (guildwars 2, directx9) to crash when trying to capture video. its a fairly recent issue, started maybe a month ago roughtly.
    best as i can tell, the crash has to do with C:\windows\system32\x264vfw64.dll as the thing thats actually causing the crash, but i cant figure out why.
    its been enough trouble that ive had to change to nvidia GFE/shadowplay to capture anything, but id rather not use that long-term, just as personal preference.

since it seems like the x264 codec was at fault, i started poking around in afterburner settings to try changing codecs. video capture format is set to "VFW compression : x264vfw -H.264/MPEG-4" with MKV container. this is what crashes. i can change the format to NV12 compression (nvidia's own encoder?), and that works, but the file size is huge (~100MB/second)
    the x264vfw compressor lists a build date of Feb 28 2015 (146 r2538bm 121396c), so that's clearly old. i installed the newest x264vfw i could find (July 2017) and restarted, but Afterburner still shows the 2015 version.
    next try was xvid. im not sure which version afterburner is trying to use, but i did update to the current version. i do notice xvid sems to use h.263, but i guess that doesnt matter because xvidvfw.dll also caused a crash, so that goes out the window.
    i also tried a x265vfw codec and installed that (and again restarted the pc) but afterburner doesnt list anything for it.
    specifically, under VFW compression i have Cinepack Codec, two instances of Intel IYUV, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1, Fraps Video Decompressor, Xvid MPEG-4 Codec, RivaTuner Video Codec, x264vfw -H.264/MPEG-4, and Full Frames (Uncompressed)

where does afterburner get it's codec info from, how can i go about properly updating whichever codecs it thinks its using?
    or, what codec do the cool kids use these days?

cheers.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.1069]
    Afterburner: 4.6.0.14820
    RTSS: 7.2.3.20686
    nvidia geforce driver: 436.48
    Xvid codec from https://www.xvid.com/download/ : 1.3.5-20171208
    x264vfw codec from https://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/ : x264vfw_full_44_2851bm_44825
    x265vfw codec from http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/#download : x265vfw_x64_v300_x265b169_12bit_20190226

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. shopcatch

shopcatch Guest

GPU:
    660TI
    probably just me being obtuse but i dont know what that's supposed to do. it claims theres 3 errors in BDA CA/CP filters (encrypt/tag, PTFilter, XDS Codec), and then tries to delete a bunch of plug & play filters associated with audio/speakers/headphones. the listed errors read #Error S02 - No InprocServer32, which seems to be a Visual Studio error.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Klite codec pack mega

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Why don't you use the NVENC plugin (hw accelerated encoding) and configure the quality/bitrate you like?
    1. select video format "external plugin" and click on the three dots to configure and test it.
    2. select encoder "NVIDIA NVENC H.264" and click on "Configure"
    3. set Preset and Target bitrate as you like them to be and hit OK
    4. You may want to hit "Benchmark" once to test if everything works as intended.
    5. close all settings, have fun recording.
    [​IMG]

6. shopcatch

shopcatch Guest

GPU:
    660TI
    i didnt know that was an option. but that works fine just fine so i'll use that

Andy_K and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  7. Yincognito

Yincognito Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7610M / 1GB
    I have the same problem now, having upgraded my laptop and installing everything again, it's just that it happens for a different game (i.e. Euro Truck Simulator 2, DX11). I also switched to the hardware accelerated NVIDIA NVENC H.264 as a workaround, but I'm interested to find out if you found a solution since you had this problem.

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks to the advice on this forum, I applied another workaround which involved checking to use the dedicated encoding server in MSI AB video capture settings, and it worked for my particular issue. Apparently this might be fixed in future MSI AB versions according to the developer, so it's all good.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    It's not a thing to be fixed in MSI AB.

If you don't enable dedicated encoding server the encoding is done in the App-Space and it's bit width. If Game is 64Bit and you don't have the x264 VfW Codec in 64Bit installed it can't encode. That's it.

If you enable dedicated encoder server in 32Bit and also enable 64Bit application support you are able to encode using the 32Bit version of x264 VfW codec because the encoder is running in it's own 32Bit environment.

If you install x264 VfW 32Bit and 64Bit versions you will be able to use it without enabling dedicated encoder... either way it works as intended.

PS: just read the other thread, well in case you were using the right bit-version of the codec and still got a crash my post here may target the wrong cause.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    -snip- didn't see the PS (should have refreshed thread)

Andy_K likes this.
  10. Yincognito

Yincognito Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7610M / 1GB
    You're perfectly right, but I did have both the x86 and x64 versions of the codec properly installed and configured though - that's why it was a bit strange to have this happen. Anyway, I'm not much of a label driven guy, so whether this will be called a "fix" or an "improvement" to MSI AB is not that important. Didn't mean to say that the program has flaws, after all, it's about the first issue I had with it for a couple of years now - much better than other software. The good thing is that there is a workaround for now, and if the application will permit x86 / x64 VfW encoding without having to enable the dedicated server (assuming both bit versions of the codec are present in the system), the better.
    x264vfw Bitness.jpg

Andy_K likes this.