Galaxy S3 ram usage killing my work

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by yosef019, Dec 29, 2012.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    its not real 1gb ram its 832mb and after reboot its take 700-750 ram
    if i fireup game and some one call me when i try go back to game i ts starts from begining the call kill the game i cant even get facebook notifications:banana::puke2::banana: or i plaing gta vicecity and go to firefox app and game auto closed

Video => http://youtu.be/Pwl_QSViRPk

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I believe Android works by keeping frequently used apps in RAM hence why there is always over three-quarters of the memory used. Even if you close all the apps and clear the RAM then the memory gets quickly used again. However, apart from the odd bout of sluggishness, my own S3 works perfectly fine and apps generally load very quickly.

I think it depends on how much memory the game uses as to whether it is closed or not when you switch to another app on Android. Also, as I've discovered, apps will close if you hit the Back button to return to the Home screen rather than using the Home button. If you use the Home button then you can hold it down to access the Task Manager and select the game or app from the Recent list where it generally continues from where you left off. I just tried this out by loading Virtua Tennis Challenge, playing it for a bit, and then quitting to the Home screen with the Home button. I then loaded the Play Store then used the Recent list to return to the game where it was paused on the match I was playing.

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It uses the RAM to cache ahead in anticipation that you'll be using that app again. If you don't, the app's memory is vacated and then it loads the other app to its memory when the system needs the memory. It's normal, your Windows installation does this too.

deltatux

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I don't know if you're rooted or not, but I'm sure if you ditch touchwiz you'll probably free up a little more ram.

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    nova launcher dont take so much and of course i rooted
    i use nq android booster to balance the ram useage to apps i need

ps i knew i was needed pay lil more and take 2gb version of gs3

6. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    you need high usage game like modern combat 4 or gta vc
    when its boot the phone i sad its in half min fillup 700 mb rami didnt open nothing!! its cashe store music google other stuf i dont want be open in back ground

i instal one rom and instead 830 ram its had 850 ram idk what they did why samsung cant make it 1000 mb or leave it like this and precache what you want on 170 mb that you take prom the phones

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    NovaLauncher can take up to 32MB, but since you have 1GB of RAM, that shouldn't be an issue. It's an issue for me though, my Nexus S only has 512 MB of RAM (128 MB is dedicated to my GPU).

deltatux

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    the android OS is stealing your missing ram

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    THIS plus the fact you may have a couple of BAD apps causing memory leaks...

My free ram, over 1Gb:

[​IMG]

10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    I have 1 gb version :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Yeah, would of been better if you bought the 2Gb version...

However, try removing apps you don't need/use.

Run Titanium Backup & remove all bloatware. I removed over 20 worthless usless junk apps which freed both ram & storage space...

12. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I haven't attempted to root my NA GS3 yet, any quick pointers? I rooted my Motorola Milestone b4, and that was a bit of a pain to do, is the GS3 easier to root?

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Easier to root? Lol, the EASIEST & QUICKEST Android handsets to root are Samsung!

No joke, even for a noob it takes less than a minute to flash. You simply need to download a program on your computer called Odin along with the root file for your phone. Once plugging in your phone via usb to your pc, it will sync with Odin & with a single click it roots your phone.

I suggest you visit the site XDA Developers forum. Register & find the phone you wish to root. Easy peasy.

Consider yourself lucky you don't have an HTC phone. It's a nightmare to root & takes longer.

Before rooting an HTC phone you first have to unlock the bootloader. To unlock the bootloader you have to register your device, IMEI number on HTC's site...

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    samsung's touchwiz always seems to consume a ridiculous amount of ram. my original note 1 always only had around 150mb free, so when the samsung galaxy s3 only came out with 1gb ram, i didnt bother with it.

then samsung released the note 2 with 2gb ram, so i upgraded. best move i ever made.

but yeah, most of the ram is taken up by the touchwiz customisations that are placed everywhere within the UI. if you ditch touchwiz completely (and i dont just mean by replacing the launcher) and flash something like cm10.1, you end up with close to 400-500mb free ram, which helps dramatically with multitasking.

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    All you need to do is user triangle away and it resets the counter.

17. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    and find firmware that works with kies...

18. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
    root + autostarts = profit (400-500MB usable RAM out of 1GB)

19. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Unused ram is wasted ram. Yosef better you hit XDA forums to get the most out of your S3.

Anyway when i had the s3 (i have a note 2 now) my free ram was around the same as yours but i never experienced any problems with apps and games.

What i can advice is to get a stock rom deodexed like Wanamlite which is purely stock, just optimized to hell and zipaligned/deodexed with a large amount of optimizations.

Last stable rom should be 4.1.2 on S3. Dont be afraid of the flash counter and things like that, flash the roms you want and when youll need to send it to a warraty center flash the stock rom without root or use triangle away.

If the device became unbootable to the point it needs a warranty repair, flashing a stock rom shows that bootloader and firmware will be Samsung official. Thats the only thing samsung will check before attempting the repair. If its not bootable, thats it.

20. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    That's likely the problem right there.... those task killers & "optimisers" actually cause more problems than they fix.
    You try to "multi task" (switch from the game to facebook, etc) and it kills the game.
    They also continually kill the apps you tell them to / it thinks you don't need open, while the Android OS is trying to pre-load the app ready for you to use it. Try getting rid of that "optimiser" and then see if you still have these issuses.

Also remember that some of that RAM goes to the GPU, think of it like an integrated GPU on a PC where it takes some of the system RAM for itself