Galaxy note users : is the size really spot on?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by stone-eye, Apr 8, 2012.

1. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I've been reading up on the galaxy note and I'm quite impressed with what I've seen but am still a little dubious on the size. I'm currently using the iPhone 3GS and like iOS and the size is nice but would like to try an android system just so I know for myself what is best for me.

The note appeals as its a hybrid of tablet and phone. Is it pocketable at all or is it jacket pocket only? How's the battery life for music gaming and 3G?

Also when is ics due on the system?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

2. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I find it perfect. It's a big screen but it's super thin so it's not intrusive. It does take a few minutes to get used to as it is is bigger than a "normal" phone but once you have used it you won't want to go back.If you are a fashionable person and insist on wearing those skinny jeans you may have an issue but if you wear average sized clothing you won't have an issue.
    The screen is bright and beautiful and responsive. The battery isn't the greatest but it's never died on me and I just plug it in over night and when I am in my car. The OS vers. right now is GB but it's really we done. ICS is coming shortly (before summer depending on carrier) so it'll be ther if you want to switch. There is custom roms available that give it a different "feel". I don't care for them as the stock doesn't seem to leave anything out.
    The S-pen is a nice treat aswell. It allows for a finer touch when needed. It's good for jotting down notes in short hand or if you draw like me it's really nice. That said, it's no where near perfect. It does suffer from input lag and doesn't always stay calibrated but with some prctice all those things are easily remidied. ICS is supposed improve the S-Pen functionality aswell.
    It really is the best phone I have ever used.

3. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Thanks, its currently a choice between iphone 4s and the note, no skinny jeans but I'd look at getting the flip cover for the note as I've read it doesn't add a lot to be bulk. My 3GS battery hits around 40% if I don't get to plug it in so as long as it easily last a days use that's ok.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd take the Note over the iPhone 4S. Heck, the Galaxy Nexus is better imo, a compromise between the two sizes.

However, I won't discredit the HTC One series at all, it's actually what I recommend at this moment. It's better than any smartphone options out there and it is absolutely fluid. It already runs Android 4.0 and has Sense 4.0 running as well.

There is a huge performance difference between Android 4.0 compared to its previous versions. Android 4.0 is noticeably smoother and a lot more fluid than Android 2.3. Google did an amazing job at fixing the choppiness of the Android operating system that was apparent prior to Android 4.0.

deltatux

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Why the iPhone or the Note? IF you're worried about the size then the SGS2 (or Galaxy Nexus) could be a middle ground?

6. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Agree with this, if you're planning to get an Android phone, get the one with the latest version (Android 4.0). My HTC Sensation already got ICS OTA update, and the smoothness is just superb. No more lag, no more choppiness in, well, everything. Sense 3.6 is much much lighter on RAM than while still on Sense 3.0 (Sense 4.0 on One series is much lighter than 3.6 on RAM usage).

If you want always to be the first to get the latest update, get the Nexus range. If you prefer Android on customised UI (Sense, TouchWiz), go with makers like HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    HTC One X looks great atm to be honest. There's gonna be a lot of new phones in the next few months with top spec (quad cores with plenty of ram and ics) so if you can wait a couple of months, do that, the galaxy s3 will eventually be a massive release. if you need a phone right now, I'd say go for HTC One X, it has a large screen, it's thin and lightweight, great spec and features.

EDIT: there will probably a few people here telling you that anything over 4" is too much, but for me personally, I love a big screen. My Galaxy s2 has a 4.3" screen and my next phone will be around 4.8". as long as the phone is thin and light, that's all that matters (sgs2 being thinner and a lot lighter than say iPhone 4s).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    S-Pen input lag is more noticeable in samsung apps. in third party apps like draw something and rhythm games, the input lag is minimal. noticeable, but minimal.

but yeah, it sucks that samsung dont let us calibrate it. mine is normally off by 3mm, which is minor but still annoying.

dont get the flip cover. its flimsy and falls apart after a month or so of use. mine did, as did many others.

just get a screen protector and a slim case and its good enough.

i like my note mainly because of the screen size. its good for watching HD videos (mine has no issues playing 720p videos encoded at 60fps without skipping a beat), and its good for web browsing. audio quality is good, but not the best since its audio chip isnt the best on the market.

most people will bitch about saying 'its pentile and pentile sucks' but they wont be able to tell its pentile until you tell them and then only if they look at it under a microscope.

i personally dont use the S-pen much, i only really use it for draw something. so think about whether or not you'll use the pen before you buy it, just because the htc one x is better and doesnt have the s pen.

samsung are releasing ICS for the note in q2 (was originally march but then was delayed because they wanted to get everything right and theyre throwing in a premium suite upgrade as well), so its not that far behind. there are already leaked ICS roms for the note (LP2 and LP5 iirc) and they work well (but dont have the premium suite). ICS will make the UI much much smoother and make the multitasking much much simpler.

one other complaint i have is that with some phone calls, the audio quality isnt the best. the microphone at the top is supposed to act as a noise canceller but there always seems to be an echo. this could just be a fault with my device though.

the only other complaint i have is with the design of the note. the loud speaker is on the rear bottom of the phone... right near the microphone. so if you use loudspeaker mode for phone calls, there will always be an echo.

9. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Look really, seriously fella, size don't matter.

10. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yeah it's how you use it!

Thanks for the feedback all.

11. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I use Autodesk Scketch mobile and it's really good. No pressure sensativity and not as good as using a Wacom tablet on your PC. But for a phone it's awesome and pressure sensativity is supposed to be coming with the ICS update. Also, you can calibrate the pen by touching all four corners of the screen. Helps alot.

I have none of theose problems. I am using Ni717r and not the N7000 so that might have something to do with it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Strange you have problems with phone call quality, it's superior for me.

Sound/music quality in my opinion is also great when used with a decent equalizer & an expensive pair of ear/headphones.

I sometimes use loudspeaker myself but have never experienced distortion or echoes of any kind.

Guess you may have some slight bugs which should hopefully be resolved when ICS is released...

Should you not have the ''equalizer'' app, give it a try, it may solve all your sound issues.

Since I've used this app it's increased sound levels by around 80% including music, movies, system sounds and even louder volume when using loudspeaker or on a phone call. In other words ''equalizer'' will boost all your sound.

The app is in the market place and is also free so give it a try. I can highly recommend it.

13. KosanRio

KosanRio Member

GPU:
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 275 896MB
    Love my Galaxy Note, Obviously it's a bit big and IS NOT a one-handed device, even in portrait.
    [​IMG]

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the sound quality thing is to do with the audio processor though. so even though it sounds better on my creative x-fi headphones, it still doesnt sound as good as my old motorola atrix, just a minor annoyance though and not something most people would notice unless they were using lossless audio on both.

most of the bugs have improved since i updated to XXLC2.

the loudspeaker echo thing is something that the other party notices more. ive got two XFX warpads on my desktop, and they generally help with eliminating the echo when im using loudspeaker mode as well.

normally for equalisers, i just use the one in poweramp. i use headphones most of the time so volume isnt really an issue. i've tried some of the eq apps on the market, but i'd prefer something with a bit more than 5 bands, just because my headset is a bit finicky and i need a bit more control to balance it out. this is one of the main reasons i stick with poweramp for my music.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB

16. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Just got my note this morning (with flip case) and currently charging it and setting it up, love the size and screen its like my old 3GS's bigger Korean cousin!

Having swipe like my N8 is lovely and im really liking androids interface and the detail you can see on battery use cpu use etc.

17. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    My friend has the note, and from what I can tell after using it some, is that for me it's too big.
    For me it's really important to be able to use the phone with one hand, which while possible, certainly is very uncomfortable and hard to do with the note, in my personal opinion you need 2 hands to operate it properly.
    I really like the size of regular phones like iPhone or my lumia 800. The screen and resolution is nice though, you can even watch movies without thinking about the screen being too small all the time, also great for watching photos, but for every day use, not my phone. (And it's android)
    Forgot to mention that it's uncomfortable to hold and you ear starts to hurt after a few minutes when speaking on the phone, the overall design and quality of the material is sub par in my opinion. They are just little things, but they are the kind of things that start annoying after you're done playing with the phone.

18. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I tried out the Galaxy note and is not for me. It's just too dam big for everyday phone use. Around 4 inch is maximum for one hand operation and will fit easy in the pockets. I currently have a dell venue pro and has a 4.3in and thats pushing the size limit. Btw you might want to check out windows phones I have tried android, apple etc and windows phone to me is simply the best.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It's not the size it's how you use it.

I own a Galaxy Note & have absolutely no problem with it's size and will NEVER get a phone with a smaller screen...

It fits in all my trouser/jean pockets & even though I've got smallish hands I'm still able to hold and use the phone single handed...

20. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Updated my note to the new stock ICS release (released in germany this morning but all good in english) I like it so far and it even has a battery %!