GALAXY displays GAMER RGB DDR5 memory - With a Hint of Tetris and lego

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Would be cool if you could get other components in a look like this... and put it into a lego case as well :D

Embra likes this.
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    What's the warping point temperature of LEGO? Cuz that could be a concern since DDR5 get's warmer than DDR4.

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    It depends of how much "voltage" we are putting into the ddr4 ;)
    I'm using 1.56v on 2x16GB b-die. Maybe it's hotter than ddr5 @ 1.1v. We don't know yet.

5. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Lego is quite durable and it is not going to be in direct contact with the heat sink, the transparent light guide with the Lego bumps on it, is almost certainly plastic too, so that would be damaged long before the Lego parts.
    G-skill, Thermaltake, Kingston, corsair, crucial....... memory also has plastic lightguides on it, it has never been a problem.

If DDR5 is varmer it would just get a 1-2mm bigger heatsink or a better thermal transfer between chip and heatsink, problem solved, they make so little heat anyway.

6. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Just dont step on one in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom.

carnivore likes this.
  7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    who cares about the heatspreader

8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    The people that running high performance memory. For Ddr4 B-die 1.4v+ you Need heatspreader. Strange you are that noob. You been here for y.... ment you have so many posts in one year ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Legos are made with ABS, which can withstand a whole lot more heat than what your RAM will ever put out (while still functioning). We're talking well over 100C.

10. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Dont call people noob.
    Samsung B-die at 1.4v is less then 1% of the worlds computers.

Half of the worlds computers do not even have a heatsink on the memory modules.

Heatsinks are mostly for decoration and something to mount lights on, the metal used is paper thin and the transfer from chip to metal is mostly bad.
    Some single sided mem sticks do not even use heat transfer pads on the empty side of the stick, so only half of the memory stick heatsink works, the other half is just there for the looks.

Laptop pc run fine for years with 50-60 C temps on the memory, and no heatspreaders at all.

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    This is GURU 3d, not 99% of the worlds computers ;) Read; Guru, not average Joe ;)
    Galax is making products for enthusiast, and this product is 4800mhz...

"will be available at a speed of 4800MHz."

You will need that heatsink :)
    I don't know why you are talking about some generic dimms @ like 2133mhz without heatspreader. B-die @4800mhz throw errors with 50-60 C. That is a fact.

12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This is still Guru 3d, not super elite money is no option forum.

What is your memory modules and temps then?
    The highest i have ever seen on my pleb Micron G.skill Trident Z neo 3600 cl 18 is 43 degrees C, in a 100% passive cooled mediacenter with no fans.
    Maybe if I turned off the LED lights on them, they would drop 1-2 degrees.

Any Airflow in the case and the temps drop to 35 immediately, the bad thermal transfer between the chips and cooler, makes it almost impossible to get under 30 C.
    If memory fans are used I actually think it would be better to remove the heatsink, for better airflow over the chips.

EDIT: Mine is actually B-die, they where sold with both micron and B-die.
    I am pretty sure they are the bad leftovers from the Royal series binning though, so I am not expecting much.

13. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    A very quick and dirty overclock on my B-die.
    4000 1.47V running 3 hours of cinebench 23
    Max temp 36 C on both sticks
    Idle temp 33 on one stick 34 on the other.
    Case temp 28.5
    Only fan in the system is a 120mm CPU fan at 700rpm and CPU at max 70 C, so maybe some of the CPU heat even made its way to the memory.

Would not bother going higher because I do not think Ryzen 5600g would go higher without dividing CPU and mem.
    The 1.47V was just to prove a point and provoke high amount of heat, but nothing really happened.