[Galaxy 6800GT] Monitor shuts down while playing HL²

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rexet, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rexet

rexet Guest

Hi,

My monitor shuts down within one hour playing HalfLife2 or CounterStrike:Source.
    I don't know why, the monitor just turns off and the PC is still running but I don't have sound anymore so I thing it also freezes. I just have to turn the PC off.
    I tried different things to fix that:
    - I tried many version of Forceware (61.77, 66.93, 67.02, 67.20)
    - I tried to disable the Fastwrite
    - I tried to switch to AGP 4x
    - I tried to change the parameters in the game (resolution, AA, etc.)
    - I tried to remove the overclocking of the GPU (was 400/1100)
    - I tried to remove the overclocking of my Pentium

The temperature seems to be fine. The card is around 50°C in idle mode and around 65°C when playing. Moreover I ran 3DMARK05 for 4 hours without any problem or artefacts (and even with the overcloking set to 400/1100) and I can also play CounterStrike 1.6 for hours without encountering any issue.
    My power supply should be enough since it is a Enermax 550W. As recommended, the card has its own cable that is not shared with any other component in the PC.
    The card BIOS seems to be the latest one according to the drivers: 5.40.02.15.05.
    I put my old GeForce3 again and everything works fine.

Here is some more information according to some other forums:
    - The owners of Galaxy 6800GT can play HalfLife2 without any problem, even with the card overclocked more that 400/1100!
    - I found only one person with the same problem and he solved it by removing the overclocking. I have the problem without any overclocking.
    - I didn't find any Galaxy 6800GT owners using the same motherboard than me but a lot of people run a 6800GT (from other brands) on that mobo.

My motherboard is an ABIT IC7-G with the latest BIOS (2.6) and it is a fresh installation of Windows XP + SP2 with the latest Intel chipset drivers.

I hope you could help me cause I really don't know what to do. Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Jamesusg

Jamesusg Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800gts 320
    Try to see if your monitor itself has any power save mode and turn it off as my sony has. Any screen savers in windows also check any power options in your bios for any power save settings.I also have Galaxy 6800gt everything ok on mine. Im sure it something simple. Hope That helps..

3. Andy2211

Andy2211 Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View gf 6800
    hi, i have the same problem: you can contact me icq:175831764

or by email...i think we can solve that problem together

4. Schatten

Schatten Guest

Sounds like the "typical" ;) Shutdown-Error on GF6800 boards! :(

I heard, that this can happen on 6800GT and Ultra boards too.

5. Comradesniper

Comradesniper Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT 256mb
  6. Andy2211

Andy2211 Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View gf 6800
    so thats good you know that problem! can you tell us the solution?^^ what must i do?

7. Schatten

Schatten Guest

SOLUTION:

Get it back to the shop!

(this is no joke ;))

You'll get a new card!

8. Andy2211

Andy2211 Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View gf 6800
    **** i baught the card by ebay

9. rexet

rexet Guest

Schatten >> do you know some links talking about that issue ? Cause I suscribed to many forums but I have never read that. Is it an hardware problem ? Do you think it's gonna be the same with another PC ? Cause I planned to sell it.

Andy2211 >> have you tried what I've tried (read my post) ? Cause maybe it could work for you. Does it happen only in HL² and CS:S ?

Comradesniper >> I don't think it is the same pb since I don't have any artefacts or weird stuff displayed on my screen, it just shuts down :( !

BTW, thx to you guyz for trying to help me !!

10. Andy2211

Andy2211 Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View gf 6800
    I tried all this...it's in all games! When I overclock my card..there are only 30 minutes to player...higher clock..shoter play..thasts so ****

11. Schatten

Schatten Guest

I could give you links to lots of german boards where the problem is discussed. But I think it wouldn't be what you want. ;)

The problem occured with 6800LE and 6800NU cards, in some cases with GT's and Ultra's too! The problem is well-known by manufacturers. You can read almost nothing about it on the big testing boards and sites because these people got tested samples. The german boards are full with complaints about this situation. I recommend to contact your manufacturer. I'm sure that he will confirm this.

Edit:

link

link

i think there are loads of boards discussing this problem
    Google for "Geforce 6800 shutdown error"! ;)

Edit2: Sorry, maybe the links aren't on topic... :O

But here in Germany the boards are full with this stuff...
    This error occured even on non-modded 6800LE's. :eek:
    Probably (according to several speculations) it's related to a failure with the power supply of these vga cards. But please, that's only speculative! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2004
  12. coops165

coops165 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800LE
    Hi,

I have a Gainward 6800LE and have the same problems in Half Life2, monitor shuts down and PC reboots.
    I think I have fixed it.

In the Half life advanced settings, try enabling "wait for vertical sync"(or enable vertical sync in driver settings)

With this setting on the default of disabled, I would load up the game and between 1 and 30 seconds later the monitor would go off and system would crash.

As a test after playing sucessfully for two hours with this enabled I paused the game and changed the setting back to disabled and continued the game. Sure enough, 5 seconds later the monitor switched off and the pc rebooted.

13. rexet

rexet Guest

Schatten >> thx for the links... the fat is that a lot of people have the lockup issue but the fact is that my pb happens only in HL² and the system doesn't restart at all, I have to shut it down manually.

coops165 >> what is your mobo ? Anyway, thx for the tip, I'm gonna try that.

14. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    A friend has the exact same problem in Half Life 2 with a Gainward 6800le. We're hoping the patch that is supposed to be released today will fix it.

15. Schatten

Schatten Guest

@ rexet

Only in HL2? Have you tried other "hardware-regarding" (don't know whether this word exists :D) applications or games? Most of the people with this error got it in 3dmark too, or in BF: Vietnam, NFSU2 or Doom3. I got this error when I started 3dmark01 first time with my 6800 LE. Unfortunately it's unmoddable but I got the crash. And I needed to put out the PC manually too. Suddenly no signal to graphics card, although the PC was still working.

@ coops165

You think that NVidia is going to force Users to activate VSync? ;)
    Do you have problems with other applications?
    Could you check out, whether the VSync-Activation influences other applications.

16. rexet

rexet Guest

Jason_25 >> the patch is late... will be release tomorrow or the day after but it will solve the pb of the freeze with the sound playing in loop. Not really my pb...

Schatten >> I ran the first demo of 3dmark05 for 3 hours non stop without any pb and MOREOVER with my card overclocked at 400/1000. I think this demo is more "hardware-consuming" (what about this one :D ?) since I have an average of 25fps. NFSU2 seems to be fine to but I didn't play it during a long time.

Anyway, a friend of mine is gonna take my card tonight. If it works for him he will buy it from me and then I will buy a X800XT PE...

17. Schatten

Schatten Guest

Most german users with this problem told, that it happens completely randomly. One time 3dmark03 passed with no problems, the other time it crashes while performing first Wings of Fury test. I don't want you to get paranoid :D, but i think it say's nothing (as far as we speak about the same problem) if you ran 3dm05 3 hours without shutdown. Try BF: Vietnam.

PS:

You can't expect a "good old german" speaking perfect Oxford English! :D

:bash:

18. rexet

rexet Guest

I have run 3dmark many many times without any pb.

and what about me ? I'm french:D

I'm about to order my X800XT PE :p

19. Schatten

Schatten Guest

Alright, then we're talking of 2 different problems. The problem I meant occured by chance in almost every application that uses 3d-acceleration. I thought you had only tested in HL2 and one time 3dm05. Sorry, missunderstanding. :D Although the symptoms are the same. ?(

Je suis trés envieux! :D

20. Andy2211

Andy2211 Active Member

GPU:
    Point of View gf 6800
    i hate nvidia...they can't produce bugfree grafikchips? I will never buy one nvidia card more!