Gainward Introduce first non reference cooler for HD 4870 - Dual Bios!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Risco, Aug 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    This looks very good!

Gainward, a subsidiary of Palit Microsystems presented a set of pictures of its non-reference HD 4870. It will share this design with the Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic. Gainward sought aggressive cooling and overclocking for this card. The card will continue to feature 512 MB of GDDR5 memory. This card features dual-BIOS, a BIOS maintains 750 MHz / 950 MHz core and memory parameters, while a second high-performance BIOS ups these frequencies to 775 MHz / 1000MHz. Presumably this mechanism brings about redundancy with the BIOS, a boon for overclockers as accidental damage to the card due to tweaking the BIOS could be easily resolved.

As you can see from the first picture, the card features a DisplayPort on the card apart from two DVI connectors, there is no air-outlet on the bracket-plate. The second picture shows the cooler, it features two fans of dissimilar sizes. An 80 mm fan blows air over the GPU / memory area while a smaller 70 mm fan blows air directly over the VRM area. Under the hood of this cooler is the cooler which consists of a GPU-block from which three aluminum heatpipes project. These pipes convey heat through the fins on which the fans blow air.

On to the electronics of this card, you can see a non-reference PCB, the two 6-pin PCI-E power inputs are angled and pushed on to the side (a-là Radeon HD 2900 XT) unlike the reference PCB. The PCB fuels the card with 4 phases for the GPU and 2 phases for the memory. Speaking of memory, the card uses GDDR5 chips made by Qimonda.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    It doesn't exhaust the hot air generated by the GPU out of the case, dumping it right on top of the northbridge instead. I'll much rather invest my green on a Sapphire HD4870 with a reference cooler on it, and then replace the stock thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    The Akasa Vortexx Neo is 4870 compatible

[​IMG]

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    MSI? Article says it's Gainward.

5. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Yeah I know, maybe mods can change title.

6. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I read a review where that thing was compared to the 9600GT's stock (single-slot) cooler, and it only sawed off about 5C from the load temps. I doubt it would fare too well with the HD4870.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Anyone know the retail on one of thoses ?

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    around £17-£18

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Erm, the 9600GT runs frorsty anyway so I doubt there will be any difference when comparing that to the 9600 stock cooler.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    aesthetically, it doesn't.

perhaps technologically yes.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I'd get one of these instead, too. :D

13. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    It certainly is and I like it, oh my post seems to have changed a bit. I guess that was you, if so thanks for the name change :)

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's true Don Salieri. :p but personally i don't find it that good looking but it doesn't really matter for anyway as what really matters is how well it cools the card, i'm ok with ugly coolers if they do a fine job. hehe