Gainward 460 GTX - SLI issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Oliver9631, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    Hi all,
    I spend the last 3 days and tried to enable SLI on my new pc.

I got:
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4 (Bios F15)
    Intel i7 - 3.2 Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    950W PS
    Gainward 460 GTX -2 GB (1st pci-e)
    Gainward 460 GTX -1 GB (2nd pci-e)
    SATA3 HDD from WD (1TB)
    and other stuff (Blueray, DVDRW, 2 x SATA2 HDD)

For some reason I am unable to enable both in SLI. I am using nvidia driver 260.99 and also the whole gigabyte driver are the latest one. The system recognize both cards and define the Physics right. But no sight of SLI. I have searched the net for solution and tried to rollback drivers, so instelling just one and then add the another. I also tried it Win XP without success. :bang:

Any suggestion what might be the reason?
    thx.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    most probly the different ram sizes,get on the horn with gainward.

3. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    It is normal... because it is not supported:

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c19

"Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
    No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration."

You have to change one of the GC.

4. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    Hm, I found cases where people claim they have such configuration running. Do you think Coolbits could help?

5. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    Forgot to mention - running Win 7 - 64 bit

6. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    I do not know. I'm not even sure that coolbits (old software) will work with current drivers.
    That statement is coming from official nvidia website so if it is really possible then you will need a dedicated tweak in the driver to make it work. I do not know any software doing this (but I never searched the web for that)

From HW point of view it will mean that 2GB card will have to use only 1GB of memory (since in SLI same data must be copied in both card). This looks a bit difficult from software point of view.

Maybe if you change the video bios of the 2GB card.
    I do not know if it is possible to limit the memory usage from there.

Are you sure that you are not mixing with configuration running SLI with one factory OC and one non-OC cards? (which is possible)

7. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    Not sure if I got your last question....

8. poo417

poo417 Master Guru

GPU:
    I am pretty sure it will not work with the ram size being different. As you say it is just a new build send back the 1gb card and get the 2gb one instead.

As for 'some people saying they got it to work'... Lots that is on the net is ****. NV say it is not supported I would go with that. Of coarse NV has been known to tell lies. :3eyes:

Not sure if you intended to get two different cards or had no option but they need to be the same.

9. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Sorry if I was unclear.
    It was regarding that comment:

My point was that SLI officially support mixing OC and non OC cards (if using the same type of GPU core). I was just wandering if the cases you were mentioning were not talking about that (different clock speed) instead of having different memory size.

10. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    No - that is not the case - The clock speed is the same so as the Bios... I assume it is really the memory problem and I probably need to change my second card.
    Another point came up trying to find info about SLI. Is it common on other motherboard or just on the mine that the Marvell & NEC controllers can only support dual pci-e cards or SATA3 & USB3 not both at the same time....

11. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    What? That is weird. USB and SATA chips are both connected to a dedicated PCIE x1 link. So having something connected to it or not should not change anything.

the second PCIE on your MB is only connected in x8 mode:
    http://www.hardware-revolution.com/p55-motherboards-crossfire-sli-performance-problem

Which is not the case of every P55 MB.

I really doubt you have such limitation on your MB. Can you send the explanation?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    Both cards have to have the same size memory, look at the link Nono posted.

13. Oliver9631

Oliver9631 New Member

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX 460
    I got the confirmation from Gainward now too - it is the memory - will need to exchange one to prob 2GB

Still struggling with the SATA3. The OS is installed on a SATA2 HDD and after I got the SATA3 hooked up to the SATA3 connector the pc just restart is self in a turn by booting for OS.

The statement on the user's guide says:
    Turbo SATA3 / USB3.0 (Marvell 9128 /NEC USB 3.0 Controller)
    Determines whether to set the PCIe speed of the Marvell 9128 or NEC USB 3.0 controller to PCIe Gen 2. Please note that when only one graphics card is installed on the PCIEX16 slot, it will operate at up to x8 mode if either one of the two controllers is set to PCIe Gen 2. The two controllers will be automatically set to PCIe Gen 1 when two graphics cards are installed on the PCIEX16 and PCIEX8 slots.
    Auto Lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting, depending on the device installed. (Default)
    Turbo SATA3 Sets the PCIe speed of the Marvell 9128 controller to PCIe Gen 2.
    Turbo USB3.0 Sets the PCIe speed of the NEC USB 3.0 controller to PCIe Gen 2.
    Disabled Disabled forces the Marvell 9128 and NEC USB 3.0 controllers to PCIe Gen 1.

Any guess why it doesn't work?

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Intel HD630
    It should work if you place 1GB version on top PCIE slot or flash 2GB version of card with 1GB bios.