Gabe Newell worth $5.5 billion.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Forbes released a list of the one hundred richest people in the country rounded to the nearest hundred million, which is a marginal round off that is more money than most people will ever get the chan...

Gabe Newell worth $5.5 billion.

2. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    People wonder why they are not making half life 3....there it is.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So that's where all my non accepted refunds are :D

Brasky and airbud7 like this.
  4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    <triggered>

That's the main reason why he doesn't give a crap about his company's most successful games.

Last week I've reported 4 intentional feeders (they were mass reported in each and every game) in ranked Dota 2, none of them have been punished. I know this because you get a message when they do. In LoL you can actually get permabanned for talking sh!t while In Dota 2 you don't even get punished for intentional feeding; how is that acceptable?
    CS:GO's matchmaking and VAC is a joke, it's cheaters galore in there and the servers are still 64-tick even though people have been nagging about these issues for years. When you have 3rd party providers like faceit or esea doing a better job than you are as the game's developer, you know you have a procreating problem with the game.

I procreating love both of those games but in their current state they're an absolute insult to every player playing them. People still play because of their love towards them.

</triggered>

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol you want people to get permanently banned for talking? Something you don't have to listen to? That's just sad. I mean, honestly, that is really.....really sad.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Valve's focus is no more that of a dev or publisher of sorts, but a marketing and sales platform that massively benefits from it's "market" where I still suspect a lot of money laundring is done (credit card fraud).
    So no, there won't ever be a HL3, except if they sell the rights for another billion :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Solfaur likes this.
  8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I can't even fathom how you could possibly understand that from my post.

I merely compared the two in order to highlight Valve's lack of action on this matter. In fact I consider Riot's (devs of LoL) solution to be extreme; I think that verbal offences should be punished by temporary chat bans at a maximum. But in Riot's defense you really have to cross the line many times in order to actually get banned, permanently or not. These bans are generally reserved for really bad racist remarks like calling a Muslim a terrorist for example.

What I do want is intentional feeders in ranked games be thrown into low priority matchmaking. Low priority is where offenders only play against each others for a certain number of matches (or won matches); you can imagine it's not a pleasant spot to be in. The system already exists in Dota 2, but it's not enforced. It used to be.

So no, I don't want permabans being given out for trashtalking. That's silly, especially when you have a 'mute' button for each individual teammate/enemy. I only have an issue with feeding and cheating.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The best part is how you imagine the CEO of the company would even be involved with something that :p

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He let it cross $3 billion. Son of a ...

RzrTrek likes this.

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    These issues are a direct consequence of the lack of communication and consideration towards the community.
    Does keeping clients happy not sound like something a CEO should be concerned with?

Nobody is expecting him to micromanage Dota 2's punishment system, but everyone is expecting him to give the company a direction which makes everyone happy; from employees to customers. Right now that direction doesn't seem to account for the community almost at all.

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Maybe worth 5.5 bln.,but dont have it. ;)

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Still has an awful lot i bet ;)

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It's much harder to figure out if someone is intentionally feeding than if their talking trash. I played in a game last night where I honestly couldn't figure out if the player was a bot or someone that had never played the game before. I don't think reporting someone as an intentional feeder is worth it unless you can prove it like if they just constantly run down a lane and die to towers.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    There's no doubt those were feeders in the matches that I've played, believe me. They were either running down into the towers, running into enemy heroes and 3 out of the 4 guys I've encountered were even buying and feeding all the available couriers. This is the main reason I'm so bothered by this, it was very blatant.

As for how hard it is to figure out whether they're feeding, I do think that in the lower brackets (1k, 2k) it's far harder to realize if someone is doing it on purpose. But not only was this match in the 4 - 4.5k bracket (theoretically top 10% Dota 2 players; people who have a good idea about the game), they were feeding couriers too.
    Valve just stopped caring about punishing them for some reason, the system was working 1-2 years ago. I just came back from a year-long break and keep seeing this crap. It really eliminates all desire to play which is a shame because I love this game.

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Imagine how much the company is worth if the CEO alone is estimated at this much.

I wish that the mega publishers (Activ., EA, etc.) would simultaneously pull all their games and let Steam rot. Maybe Valve would actually maintain their platform then.

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I deleted a bunch of steam games seems to be a thing i do every few months even with being careful still accidently buy some shovelware its really hard to find legit real games on steam these days I do most purchasing now on GoG

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They did exactly that for their big games. Destiny 2 is only on the Blizzard app, Battlefield/Battlefront games are only available on Origin. Nobody cares because those platforms are garbage. Origin has gotten better over the years but it's still a hassle to use.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah Origin is decent, or at least was since some time ago when they started using all those brodude lines when installing/updating stuff. It also feels a bit slower too.

Steam on the other hand keeps getting better and better. Having the option to choose different install folders and move games through those easily is so great for my SSD-HDDs swapping. With Origin it's always a pain having to do it the "oldschool" way.

20. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Praise the sun for lord gaben