Gabe Newell talks about Cyberpunk 2077 and sympathizes with CD Projekt

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Plot twist:
    Patch 1.1 is confirmed to mess up saves and main story line

angelgraves13 likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Could it be that Gabe Newell understands so well the situation, because this whole dissatisfaction "riot" amongst gamers he foresaw if Valve would release HL3?
    That game could not satisfy expectations. Doesn't matter that the dev team will bring something brilliant, new, Innovative. There is a harsh reality as a creator to find that people can never be happy or satisfied with creator's content.

Airbud, Maddness, schmidtbag and 2 others like this.
  4. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    no compassion for cd project red , learn to wait to release a game !
    first impression is everything especcially with gamers !
    i still think they are greedy idiots , something we see way too much of these days i haven't seen a good game in over 10 years..
    take note devs !
    also cyberpunks story couldve been finished in a few hours if it wasn't for all the choices and scenes , time based missions wich you need top skip time for..
    many bad things in this game
    if anything there was 1 thing that i enyoied , the world they made that is cyberpunk and the body mods but i feel they couldve done better on that part aswell
    i guess it was a good lesson but you better be damn sure not to screw up the next cyberpunk you make..

5. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    I'm sure there is a good reason for your bitterness but I doubt they deserve that much hate. Specially the devs that aren't in charge of the marketing, release dates etc.
    I personally enjoyed the game, encountered very few glitches can't even call them bugs (PC).

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's see.
    Witcher 3 won almost all prizes in the gaming history and CDProjekt could ride the wave and cash in the hype and sell (as greedy idiots) everything lore and DLC related.
    Yet, DLC and GOTY is what made them so loved in the gaming community, and GOG never cease to offer very good deals for CDProjekt games. And gamers got for free DLC and a LOT of game related lore and CD Projekt released even a fan requested video showing their gratitude

So much for greediness here. Or a good game!? Are you for real?
    Really @zhalonia , this is your way of posting on the forums?

How many lines of code YOU write and sold yourself? Do you know the costs involved in developing and project management? Don't answer, there is no need.
    Please, don't wait any second and go to the CD Projekt HQ and show them how it is done, please.

Releasing the Cyberpunk was a bet and a risk involving move. They knew it and now they took responsibility. Isn't this enough?
    On the other hand, getting the first batch in everything, be it games or hardware is always a high risk bet, you can be sure to be the guinea pig.
    So gamers are blaming CDProjekt for their unwillingness to wait and buy the game when it was ready?
    Speaking for the sake of speaking is something i can't stand.

And I'll finish saying:
    I am a regular here, and very, very rarely lash out or say anything as above. One can see all my post and 80% of what I am saying is " Guys, let's keep this civil".
    But this made me wrote all that.
    I am not affiliated to CD Projekt in any way, shape o r form. I don't own the game, I always buy games when they reach GOTY.

boom12a1, tfam26, Airbud and 6 others like this.
  7. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    This. Al the way. Not being able to see a good game in the past 10 year is a personal deficiency, not any devs problems.

- Witcher 2 and certainly 3
    - GTA 5
    - Deus Ex 3 and 4 ( yes 4. )
    - Skyrim ( it wasn't well developed, but it was fun, thus good. )
    - Doom 2016
    - Hellblade
    - Metro series
    - Dark Souls series
    - Rock and Stone! ( I mean, Deep Rock Galactic )
    - Rising Storm Vietnam

And so many more that I can't list because I've not completed them yet or not even played them yet ( 450+ games on steam alone, nevermind GoG).
    Not to mention fantastic Indy games that deserve a mention.

I urge you to visit r/PatientGamer if you have troubles finding GOOD games.

boom12a1, tfam26, anticupidon and 3 others like this.
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm getting old and can't seem to get into most games, let alone finish them. ...and yet, I finished Cyberpunk twice.

It has many little issues to get fixed, some of the dev's choices are certainly debatable, but anyone who says this game is "complete garbage" (etc, etc) has, quite frankly, a useless opinion that lacks objectivity.

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Not really, he´s only concerned about his 30% sales cut.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll play evil. GTA 5 has not changed much from GTA 3. And most fun I had with GTA was with 1st one.
    DeusEx ended with 2nd.
    Skyrim, only if you ignore main plot line.
    Doom? Selling visuals and gore. Want that kind of game, there is Dead Space series. It has STORY!
    Dark Souls cashes on self punishing people.
    Rising Storm, been there, done that game.

Sure, there were good games. Even great. If I did not mind "creative license" BS in Witcher, it would have been likely greatest game series we have. But I'll put even Two Worlds above it with all its bugs.
    I would even put up Tomb Raider games as good.
    Plenty of Warhammer games. Mechwarrior. A-RPG, Rogue, ... Many types and series seen good and bad addition.

CDPR did reasonably well in past. CP2077? It will need time. And I can't blame people for returning game which gave impression of early access purchase.
    If anything, early access become blessing for some studios. Enabled frauds on other parts of industry. And changed (mostly negatively) what people expect of "released" product.
    CDPR called their game launch as "release" while it was closer to early access. And they did it in time when many people already fell for Early Access traps and are actually conscious about their purchases.
    This may be bad, but it is good for them too. It is lesson.

JOHN30011887 likes this.

11. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    There is no excuses to projects released unfinished with the awareness they are in this state.
    I couldn't care less if it is game director's fault, the devs or anyone else.
    The part damaged is the customer who pays for a working, fully tested and finished product.
    This time is Cdprojekt, but if this happens again with other firms, the same treatment should be applied.

zhalonia likes this.
  12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Sounds more like there are some personal problems on your end effecting your ability to enjoy games out there.

In ten years eh???! Man oh man.... Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Maybe taking a step back and getting a different perspective for yourself is needed...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    JOHN30011887 and anticupidon like this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Only RTX 20/30 owners defend this game to justify their overpriced bricks as always.

GSDragoon likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Really? I preferred GTA2 tbh.

15. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    Git gud

16. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Eh no, rtx 2080 here, to me the game is bad, broken mess, performance may be ok not great but the amount of detail and physics missing is beyond a joke, ai are stupid from cops spawning anywhere to the normal ones that just stop and turn all the time

After that so called big update im done with the game till maybe a year or more, the game is clearly not finished

tfam26 likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Could be like Bethesda, and not actually release any patches or fixes for the game. At least CD Projekt is trying to fix their game.

MonstroMart likes this.
  18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It has a long way to go.

19. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Aw man, if you play it that way, I HAVE to respond :D
    Alright, here goes:
    - GTA's concept hasn't changed much, so I think you want a new concept. Or you might look at older games with pink tinted glasses: it's well known that it's harder to enjoy games when you're older, not to mention in 'our time' much tech was brand new.
    - I agree that Deus ex went another route, but is has nothing to do with not being fun. DE2 was different garbage, DE3 was different but fun.
    - Skyrim, when it first came out, was huge. Oh I can make many improvement on it and the story was a bit meh. But what about all the stories that wasn't directly told? What about the atmosphere? First playtrough ( which took DAYS of playtime because: Oh look! something new! ) was fun for me.
    - Doom is selling much more than that. It's selling that UT99 or Q3Arena feelings of supercharged, jumping trough the hallways, strafeshooting but w/o the multiplayer aspect. If you take it for what it is, it's fun when you had a aweful day and just just wanna frag.
    - Dark Souls: It's hard, sure. But again, the atmosphere and mystery ( misery ) everywhere is very well done
    - Rising Storm is the Battlefield 1942 but better. It's what Battefield would be if it stayed true to it's core. It does what it does well without overly complicating things like Squad, Hell let loose or Arma. ( which are superb game in it's own righ if you're into the war sim genre )
    You can simplify anything to crap if you really want to, but I strongly believe there are some fantastic games in the past 10 years.
    People who enjoyed PC through the 90's and 00's have the tendency to compare everything to that feeling of playing Doom, System shock or half-life for the very first time. We should stop that. I ogled my eyes out when playing Alyx for the first time as well.

It's weird that Two Worlds never really gained a big, known following. I for one, have never played it. It simply flew under the radar.
    Too busy having my mind blown with Oblivion at that time. That, and dealing with horrible "consolisation"

What do you think of the Divinity series? Or Kingdom Come?

I'm really starting to thing we're discussing tastes, and not fun.

Back to you, bud ;)

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The games are patched by mod community and they know this so why would both to put resource into that?, Skyrim is how old ? and unofficial patch is still going strong? and honestly they done better job then Bethesda ever would of. it can easily be aruged that game is not playable without the unoffical patch.

Image if most game had mod community like that? one 2 thing would happen games would actual be fixed and support for long time or and more game would be release utterly broken upon release.

I honestly hope CD projekt and every other publisher learned lesson from this, dont force game out the door just to appease head of the company or stock holders, but i dont that will happen, less something unthinkable happens the get sued go bankrupted and are no more as result which probably even less likely.

Chess likes this.