Gabe Newell Says Xbox Series X is Better Than PS5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Co-founder of Valve Gabe Newell is stuck in New Zealand (not a bad place to be stuck tbh) due to a Corona quarantine. And that gave him some time for interviews. While doing so he gave made his opinio...

Gabe Newell Says Xbox Series X is Better Than PS5

Thunk_It and cryohellinc like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Of course, he will say this - Xbox and PC friendly strategy of Microsoft, as of late, is highly beneficial to him (Steam).

Nevertheless - all of this "potential" and "hardware is better" talk is garbage up until we see the final products in action.

Everyone remembers how PS3, with their super-duper multi-processor features, turned out to be in the end.

I'm more includes going with Sony product for down-the-road, as Xbox (at this point) is pretty much a budget PC (unless they will start introducing some exclusives once again).

Time will tell.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    So about that earlier joke on Bloodborne and it's rumored PC port and Sony and Epic Games Store exclusivity...

Well not like it'll change anything before that gets dragged into something more than odd humorous remarks, just one mans opinion though I'll have to see the interview and if they go into details or if it's just personal preference or something like that.
    Input alone seems to be quite divisive between the X controller and the Dual Shocker before getting into the actual hardware like this mythical SSD thingie or the actual games and the usual about who or what has the better visuals ha ha.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Marketing BS talk, just like Sweeney

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    HW wise he is probably right, although if I were to buy a new console it would probably be PS5. Simply because I already have a pretty decent PC and Xbox doesn't offer me anything beyond that, while PS will have some additional exclusives.

The Phoenix and theoneofgod like this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    "as someone working in marketing, gets deeeply offended :D"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Was the ps3 bad? i loved it.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Coding for it.
    = = = =
    As for Newell's statement. He is right. And "Because it is." is what should have been sufficient from anyone and everyone here (guru). If effect needs GPU to do 6,000 flops per pixel. GPU will not do those flops any faster if you increase storage speed 10 times or even 100 times. It will still process data from its local memory. And processing speed will still be limited by bandwidth, latency of that memory or GPU flopping capability itself.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    It´s his opinion but in the end what really matters are the games and in that front the PS seems be be ahead.

cryohellinc likes this.
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Wasn't bad - I have one myself and I love it. Coding for it was horrid. As a result most of the power wasn't using in the peak years.

Hence why architecture and ease of development for it is crucial for the success of a modern console. Hardware capabilities, IMO, are secondary.

11. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    but even a ten years old midrange personal computer will be the better choice, GTA 6 will come out two years later for pc but they will swear it will be console exclusive - blablabla - then the degenerated kids will buy apple or google devices - blablabla - puking planet. And 'we'? We will repair this crap anyway, but making code for it the real way. - blablabla

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Not really caring what Gabe has to say on anything TBH. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but...episode3...

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    10 years old PC does not even support DX12. HW from that time is like DX11 feature level 0. For AMD it is time of ending VLIW5, short live of VLIW4 and then year later GCN came.

GPUs from that time are not even great at brute force, nor have spare VRAM in today's standards.

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Iam going with the xbox only cause I always do, Tried the Playstaion 3 when it first came out did not like it so I will be happy to support them once it drops in late 2020. Iam an X-man sry sony. I dnt care if the cpu is a little slower or the gpu is clocked down the Marketplace layout is what I love the most. Gamepass is prertty cool 2.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Better is relative. When it comes to specs, it seems XSX may offer better graphics, whereas PS5 will probably offer an experience with less waiting and stuttering (due to loading in data).
    When it comes to games, PS5 seems to be a little more ahead, but that doesn't mean XSX won't have good exclusives down the road.

Not like I care - I'm not getting either system.

You may want to invest in VR. Half-Life: Alyx is often considered HL3.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    We all know Gabe wanted to say PC is the best but that wasnt the question. :p

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    If i look at the games on Xbox one and Playstation 4 , Playstation is most definitely the winner for me.
    I cant see Microsoft turning this around.

How much did Playstation 4 outsell Xbox one again ?
    I think Microsoft is more focussed on gamepass then on their new Xbox TBH. It is a great deal to have a gamepass. It is a shame there will be different models though, so games on Xbox series X won't be playable on Xbox One or PC.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Much like we said Sweeney's talk about PS5 was all PR and marketing.... People laughed at us.... Then a few weeks later headlines read "Sony invests $250 million dollars into EPIC games".... LOL

I expect we shall see some form of integration of Xbox Game Pass through steam and we shall probably see a UWP version of the Steam App on the Windows Store (probably also Steam on Xbox Series X....).

In addition to that, Sony has PS VR, Maybe we see Valve Index coming to the Xbox Series X also.....

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Well did not MS added some of their games on Steam lately?

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Slow news day. lol