G92 to replace 8800 GTS only?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Australis, Aug 30, 2007.

1. davaid

davaid Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 280.
    This is (if true) one hell of a shock to those who refrain from buying the 8XXX series to get the G92.....

Now (and if true) the G80 sales will rise up...... So people go grap ones while rumer is not wide spread......

No comment...!!

2. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The 7600GT is not faster than the 6800GT.

3. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    This would require a seriously higher clock speed, not a given if the G92 is indeed destined to the high end of the mainstream spectrum. Commercially speaking that category is more profitable than high-end and the void is begging to be filled with a DX10 compatible offering. If this is the aim then it's those people who are buying 7900 GS's because they have no choice (the 7950 GT is overpriced) in that price range that will be targeted.

4. chipa66

chipa66 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 285GTX @ 720/1500
    This could easily be misinformation by Nvidia to coerce those people on the verge of buying a G80 chip into doing so. Anybody who makes a decision to dismiss the G92 and go out and buy a G80 today based on all these flimsy reports is a fool. I want to see a real performance report based on an actual card. If waiting a few more weeks is what it takes to get valid information, then so be it.

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    it is

6. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    the 7600 gt is barely faster. maybe a frame.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  7. J STEEL

J STEEL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    I agree with you on that one! Since I won't be upgrading my computer till about 3-4 weeks from now, I will see what transpires then. You never can believe everything you hear now and days especially with these companies. Take Microsoft and Sony for example.

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I doubt it, firstly because high-end cards only represent a small percentage of overall sales and secondly because nVidia lacks any performance oriented midrange cards which represent a far more profitable market segment that caters mainly to younger gamers who can't afford a high-end card but don't want to settle for a slug or a previous generation card because of the coolness factor. The traditional 6600GT/7600GT clientèle is losing patience and is more than ripe for such a card. This is just common sense.

9. zinc99

zinc99 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    DDR4 at a high speed will make up for the smaller bus and mem.

10. Waffen-5

Waffen-5 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768mb
    Balls, I was hoping the 3x monster was coming out in november!!! Oh well I was planning to upgrade to a intel penryn in the new year, guess i'll just get the penryn when it comes out and get the 9800 in the new year.

Edit: Am I wrong, is the 9800 gts/gtx still coming out in november?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007

11. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Nobody knows for sure what is coming out in November.

12. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    The last paragraph of my original post:

"NVIDIA also kills the rumor saying that the 8800, 8600 and 8500 GPUs does not have DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1 support. After Microsoft officially releases these updates, NVIDIA will enable the features on the abovementioned graphics card families through Forceware."

We saw NVIDIA enable supersampling AA (which was thought to be exclusive to the GeForce 7 family) on the GeForce 6 series via Forceware updates. I reckon this immediately when a guru said it must be false.

13. justmoe

justmoe Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 320
    a major computer supply chain in canada ran out of gtx and replaced its price with the ultra until they could get more. the low end cards are hardly selling along with 6 & 7 series cards. the high end cards gts,gtx, and ultra are selling very well and the trend of majority of buyers go for entry-midlevel cards ended when they never really put out a mid-level card.

14. DaMike

DaMike Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    i owned a 6800GT, upgraded to a 7800GS (both has 16 pipes), 7800GS is 30% faster. a 7600GT is only a tad slower than a 7800GS (around 10%). the core makes more difference than the bandwidth.

15. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Im my eye nvidia really need to bring out a new top end card not out of performance but to stop the market becomming stale with 8800s being sold for high prices way after their release. Still all this bull***t being spread is just making me stay away from the 8800's even easier. These last range of cards from nvidia are shocking performance wise apart from the 8800 (all >8600) and even the DX10 is poor on the 8800 so making a new card that can cream DX9 & DX10 games would seem the most sensible option to me. Plus you get the enthusiasts upgrading because they no longer hold the highest 3d mark scores.
    Still we will have to wait and see in november when what ever nvidia are cooking is ready for consumption.

16. DaMike

DaMike Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    actually, DX10 isn't all that bad. i've been playing Lost Planet DX10 (with the latest patch + REAL DX10 enhancements), and i can say the image quality is better than DX9 with 'almost' the same FPS. another example is BioShock, DX9 and DX10 performance isn't that far apart, with DX10 getting better image quality. 8800s are actually good, and with better drivers, they will get better, but you can't say that for 8600s and below :(

just goes to prove that proper tuning and performance testing by the developers will go a long way...

17. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/230

18. n3rv

n3rv Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC SLI
    As long as they release something good and decently priced (not $900...) then they shouldn't have too much of a problem. Hopefully with the release of these new cards the prices on the 8800GTS will go down enough to be considered the new 6600/7600. I would be content with an 8800GTS going down to at least $200, that seems like a reasonable price.