G80 Boiling? What are your temps?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 240aintenuff, Nov 9, 2006.

1. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    These suckers get hot, real hot. Using ATiTool my 8800GTX idles at 75c! Under load its at about 85c. What temps are safe for the G80? I was thinking about applying AS5, but not too sure if that would make a difference since the fan doesn't crank up. Any way to make that fan crank up?

2. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    What case you got?

3. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Mine is idling at 62c. Full load about 82c.

75 idle is pretty hot man.

4. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    I have a centurion 5, plenty of airflow, and CPU is watercooled. I just lowered the 2D idle temps from 75C to 66C, ATITool was setting the core speed at 575mhz for the 2D setting,so I lowered that to 350Mhz.

Update: now idles at 63c.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006

5. tweakboy

tweakboy Banned

GPU:
    ASUS AX800XTPE@550/1215Mhz
    How did you guys get a geforce 8800GTX ,, I though tit just came out today,,

Well thats hot as hell for idle,,,, looks like the cards are gonna burn down and blow up soon LOLOL, jk jk jk,,

http://www.hammiestudios.com
    Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  6. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    oh well mines idle at 30°c full load 55°c the only problem is than mine is IMAGINARY!!!!! LOL where da f*** u gouys get the g80 =:___]
    congrats

7. hulioni

hulioni Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 FTW SLI
    Idle is around 57c, and after a couple 3DMark06 runs it peaked around 80c. I bit on the warm side but I can see why, using that much power and getting that amount of performance. Ambient temps around 75f. Also have a 120mm fan in the side panel aiming at it though.

8. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    those temps are horrible!

that fan (by design) puts out the most air available

its the same concept as a jet engine

i remember my dad had a fan with a turbine.. it was about the size of a 1 cubic ft box and that thing blew enough air to tye my shoes!

my suggestion:
    find somebody who knows what cards run hot from either the 7series or the 6series
    once you find a card known to be hot.. find an article/forum post with example temps

you should be comparing that g80 and that fan with a hot 7/6series card equipped with a zalman

the idle temps should be in the 40's or lower.. and if they arent i would take the thing apart and put some high quality paste on the heatsink
    the little turbine might have sissy folds in the drum
    the house is too hot.. energy star btchs

please do my a favor..
    go to wal mart, menards, lowes, etc
    find a yellow stanley fan (if they are still on the shelves)
    CFM on low 1280, medium 1750, high 2180

the more amps those motors have the quieter they blow *gotta upgrade the fins to blow more cfm at given rpm*

it looks like this

just go see how much wind it blows.. then realize how loud it is *less then any standard fan*

:grab:

9. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    LOL, G80 came out yesterday. I wonder what kind of memory these cards use, I have mine at 630mhz core, and 2100mhz memory to run some benchies. The core craps out at 640, but the memory seems like it has no limit.

@anywaypossible - Its seems like im not the only one with idle temps around 63c. I did some searching on a couple other forums. I might have to throw some AS5 on it later, but right now i'm too effin tired

10. TonyM16

TonyM16 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX SLI on Dell 3007
    Do you mind if I ask what gpu or gpu's did you have before getting the 8800gtx?

11. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Lol i had a GX2. That card was idling at 60c too. So GX2 and 8800GTX are both the same in terms of temperature.

12. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    Maybe the heat from the northbridge is affecting the temps a bit?

13. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    How about a VGA waterblock and using you existing liquid cooler for both CPU & GPU?

14. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Would existing waterblocks actually work with the g80? I ask because the GPU itself is freakin' huge. Can anyone confirm if it has the "standard" mounting holes around the gpu, or are they different? With this card I don't know if I'd want all that heat going into my water-loop anyways, just my opinion though.

15. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Use ritatuner or click the 'run fan at highest speed' check box in the new control panel, that helps mine, of course with the new driver it might not work.

16. AccordTR

AccordTR Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 8800GTX
    mine idles at about 50C and load about 63C, just got it today though

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    About temperatures of the 8800s... Does anyone have a thermometer that can measure a rough estimate of the air around the card when it is running? My primary concern isn't so much the temperature of the card, but of how hot it would make the components around it, specifically my south bridge on my motherboard. I rarely see something like that mentioned but I need to know because my current card has the ACS3 heatsink and it rockets my chipset to 52C if I don't have the case open and a fan blowing air over the card and chipset. When I do have the fan it maxes at around 45C. For reference the aluminum casing of my card gets to somewhere around 60-65C when forcing stock 7800GTX speeds and nearly 70C at the evga stock overclock, hence why I am looking at the 8800s as they seem to exhaust the heated air far better by being a dual-slot cooler.

Edit: In case you were wondering the card itself measures about 72C max at 430/1200 and around 80C max at the evga clocks of 490/1300.

18. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    the ambient GPU temp IS the temp inside the case

19. Templ

Templ Guest

Mine idles at 68, and jumpes to 85 on full load. If i open the case the temps are much lower (53-74). And i though my case had a good airflow. :(

20. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I don't have an ambient temperature monitor and ambient temperature isn't an issue as it's just a few degrees above room temperature when I use the termometer, it's about 28-30C. I'm just curious to know the actual temperature of the card housing as that has a huge impact on the components around the card over basic ambient temperatures.