G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by aircool, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I expected the Dragonborn DLC to have unlocked here in the UK but Steam is showing that there's another 11 hours to go despite stating that it unlocks on 5th February (i.e. today). I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting a bit tired of these 6-7pm releases and just don't understand why the releases aren't staggered so that each territory gets a 12am-2am release instead. That way the servers are not immediately overloaded with everyone trying to download. It seems more and more games are moving away from the 12am unlocks to 6pm which is annoying, mainly because at that time most of the day is over.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yes that's how it's usually been with the releases when they have a single global unlock time, tends to be around 19.00 over here (+1 GMT, Sweden.) which is a bit unfortunate.
    (Aliens Colonial Marines to use a title which has separate release times for each region unlocks 1.00 AM just to have a comparison.)

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    It unlocks in 6hours here.

4. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    IMO it doesnt really matter seeing that Dragonborn only features enough quests for about 10 hours. (rumors)

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Then i wait for 50% off :p

6. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I read 30 myself...

~90 minutes to go here...

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Main story of the DLC is fairly short (6 - 7 missions or some such.) at around 3 - 5 hours but exploring Solstheim itself and discovering the other quests (And points of interest.) takes a fair bit longer from what I've read. :)

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im going to re-install the whole game once the new STEP overhaul comes out.

Should be out when Dragonborn is released.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Dragonborn is out. :)

EDIT:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(ENB and some other mods.)

EDIT: After comparing them it does seem that ENB isn't working very well with the Solstheim climate, other presets might differ / be better suited to it though. :)
    http://postimage.org/image/yexhq4nmn/
    http://postimage.org/image/gq5qyibvj/
    http://postimage.org/image/m2ulcmzrz/
    http://postimage.org/image/9phr5qa3j/
    http://postimage.org/image/4s46km84f/
    http://postimage.org/image/7nh9rhc4f/
    (Here it's disabled, color balance and brightness is better, enabling the default shading could work but that would hinder many other useful features such as SSAO, shadows and others from what I know.)

11. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

EDIT: Unlocked, downloading now. Only 990MB :3eyes:, this game is extremely compressed :3eyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  12. RecluSe

RecluSe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Downloading now, think i'll leave this for the weekend and finish up on Dead Space 3:)

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Downloading now. 3,1mb/s pretty good.

I have 7mb/s connection but i'm on wireless and pretty far away from modem. :(

edit: nice, game crashes after 2min =/

edit2: well, i gues i pissed away my money on this. reinstalled the game, every single mod/textures removed.
    Still crashes or freezes when walking to a quest after you've reached the shore.

Vanilla worked before this without a problem, but it would freeze very randomly though.

14. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Those screen shots take me back to when I played Skyrim with a AMD card. Thankfully you can turn on Ambient Occlusion in the NVcontrol panel to remedy it. Its looks so bland with out it. Anyways YAY Dragonborn is out. I've been working on another playthrough for a few months now just so I could be ready for for the DLC. It turns out im not ready. Borderlands 2, FarCry 3 and Crysis 3 beta have been taking up all my Skyrim time.

15. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    Looks more like vanilla Morrowind :)

Skyrim never looked like that with my Ati card though. nVidia's ambient occlusion is nice, but I prefer using an enb for shadow improvement with original postprocessing and sweetfx for a little bit of added colour vibrance @60fps, instead of a fluctuating framerate.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Dragonborn wasn't downloading for me last night even though the 7pm release date/time had elapsed and the content was showing as playable. I had to restart Steam then it finally downloading, all 1 GB of it.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed though with how DLC works in this game. I load up a save game expecting a message to immediately appear on screen and a quest to be added to my journal but instead I found myself wandering around, wondering why the new content had not been triggered. I then quick travelled to Whiterun out of desperation and was immediately attacked by a cult of vampires while someone was asking me if I was the Dragonborn! I died during the confusion. So I reloaded and opted to travel to the stables outside Whiterun instead. A courier found me and gave me some items, which necessitated me scrolling through a list of about 200 books and notes in order to find which one it was to trigger that quest. It turned out to be the one for Hearthfire, which I'd bought months ago and forgot about as I haven't played Skyrim in months since the first DLC. How about actually telling me what the name of the item is that was added to my inventory? :3eyes:

Talk about frustrating. How is anyone supposed to know that you have to travel to Whiterun to trigger the Dragonborn quest without consulting the internet or stumbling across it by accident? There are over 300 locations in this game after all and you can go absolutely anywhere. Prior to going to Whiterun, I had wandered around for 20 minutes without no indication that the Dragonborn quest had been activated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The way the DLC triggers is that you either go to Windhelm and the at the docks there you take a new boat to Solstheim and from there you should eventually be ambushed by three cultists whom have a note and that will start the quest.

Or you wander around Skyrim (I fast traveled between the smaller settlements.) until those three cultists appear and attack you, they are fairly easy to spot due to their unique equipment (Which is junk but still pretty neat looking.) however for the cultist spawn to trigger you must have completed the Graybeard quest so everyone knows you are Dragonborn and for game play mechanic reasons so you understand the shouts. :)

You can explore Solstheim without the cultist encounter but the main story won't trigger and thus some areas will be inaccessible.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, if that's true then the pricing of the DLC is more than a bit off. It cost me £30 for the game which gave me 225 hours according to my save file at the point where I'd literally done ALL the main and side quests and was left only was a handful of repeating ones (and a few bugged ones - I still cannot believe Bethesda haven't fixed those). The Dragonborn DLC cost me £14, which is half the cost of the game for less than 5% of the content. Doesn't seem like great value, does it?

I remember when you used to pay £10 for an expansion pack that gave you 20+ hours of gameplay. How times have changed...

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Really, nobody else has freezes in the new zone??

It only happens when i move further into the zone, if i stay around the first town the game doesnt freeze.
    Also Skyrim runs just fine..

I really don't get it, i reinstalled Skyrim too and removed every mod and renewed the ini files.

I have skyrim completely legal on Steam so it's not that either.

20. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I can't decide if I'm more excited about seeing Morrowind related lands and gear, or if I'm more excited for having those modding assets available now. :nerd: