G3D 2012 Christmas/holiday brews thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'll mainly be drinking whatever alcohol is to hand. However, this thread has inspired me to buy in some speciality ales. I'll see what I can get hold of and get back to this thread later.

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I do believe some decent single malt whiskey might be in order too. A bottle of both Scotch and Irish should suffice.

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    IIRC Old Pulteney 12 YO was £21 in Tesco the other day ;)

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed. I just emptied a bottle of Caol Ila 12yr, so will have to buy something new for the holidays. Only been drinking Islays for the last year or so, maybe it's time to try something else. Hm..

5. aircool

GPU:
    Lol emptied :D

Cask or diluted?

I take it speysides aren't your thing, maybe something coastal like Old Pulteney or a highlander like Lochnagar.

6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Diluted. There are so damn many highlanders though, it's a jungle. I like peat. And smoke. We shall see. I need to get my beer shopping out of the way first. Looks like I might be able to get my hands on some Nøgne Ø after all.. we'll see tomorrow!

7. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I find mead too sweet. Spiced mead is much nicer.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Sounds good. I'm not so high and mighty that I haven't done mulled wine in the kettle before in my student days :p

9. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Peat and smoke, try Laphroaig if you can get hold of it.

10. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I never tried the kettle for that, that would have been so quick and easy! I had spiced mead ages ago. It was from the Hogs Back brewery.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've had that many times before, it's one of my favs. I've tasted all the Islay whiskeys now, I think. Would like to try a different region.

And mulled wine can be ****ing awesome! There's absolutely NO shame in mulled wine if made correctly!

12. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I love Laphroaig, it is my favourite at the moment. I enjoy the smokey flavour, the taste gets better if you hold the glass in your hand and let it warm.

I enjoy Lapsang tea too so no surprise.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Not sure what ill be having over Christmas Holidays as ill be at familys houses and they all have something different.

Right now im drinking a few cans of Kronenbourg 1664 lager.

14. aircool

GPU:
    Bruichladdich? Laphroaig Quarter Cask?

Mulled wine, ruined red wine.

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've had both those. I wanna try something completely, out of the ordinary new. Like the Japanese "Nikka from the Barrel" or the Indian "Amrut Fusion" I had last year. (both were great) ... Or maybe I'll just settle for a bottle of Laphroaig cask strength.. hmm..

I still think mulled wine (or gløgg, like it's called here) can be awesome. Of course you aren't going to use Amarone for it so.. who cares. I think I'm gonna try and make the mulled wine from A Song of Ice and Fire: http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2011/04/12/the-old-bears-hot-spiced-wine/

(that website is awesome, btw.)

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Laphroaig ? Way too much smoke in that one for me...

Anyways, I'll have a bottle of Westmalle Tripel this evening after sauna :) It's what I usually end up buying from Alko. I really like it.

17. aircool

GPU:
    Pff its a mild peated single malt :p

Rightio back from gym, cue the epic Chinese from town and some more testing of the brewdog range :D

18. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Westmalle tripel is delicious. I'm a huge trappist fan, and I've actually had the pleasure of tasting the, outside of Belgium, über rare Westvleteren 12. That is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life.

Anyhoo, great news! I got a hold of a bottle of this today:

[​IMG]

Kinn Tomasmesse: 10,5% ABV, Quadrupel (Norway). Awyeah, the first quadrupel brewed in Norway. They only made a few thousand bottles of this, so I'm quite stocked to have gotten my hands on one!

Also, more good news. My brother who lives down south has gotten his hands on Nissemor, Bestefar and Ringnes/Brooklyn Imperial Polaris, a collaboration 10% ABV doppelbock between Norwegian macro Ringnes, and American Brooklyn brewery for me. Now I only need to find God Jul and Underlig Jul from Nøgne Ø, and Nissefar from Haandbryggeriet to complete my Christmas! :D

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The shopping continues! Managed to get a hold of a couple of bottles of this today:

[​IMG]

Nøgne Ø Underlig Jul: 6,5% ABV, Spice/Herb/Vegetable (Norway). The name literally translates to "Peculiar" or "Strange" Christmas. Very spicy. The taste reminds me a mix of beer and mulled wine.