G2A.com ... WTF!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Fel8me, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli
    I've been a lurker here for sometime... years in fact and only ever post when I feel I have something worthy to say.

So I feel this is worth saying... beware of G2A! I've bought many things from G2A over the last year or so and recently the games I purchased have been disappearing from my accounts (Steam, Uplay, Origin). When I've reported the issue I've been informed that the keys have been withdrawn and banned.

Obviously the vendor attained the keys by illegal means, but how would I know.

So, when a price appears to be too good to be true... IT IS!

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Items on G2A marketplace have very confusing titles too.

I bought a CS 1.6 & More pack thinking it was 1.6 and source or GO.

It was 1.6 and condition zero. There was no mention of condition zero of anything else.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Never had issues with G2A personally.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And this is why you don't buy from key resell websites. Authorized Steam/Uplay/Origin seller websites, such as amazon or greenmangaming, etc. ONLY. I will never care how many times people claim "OH BUT BUT! IT'S LEGIT! IT'S NOT ILLEGAL! THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" As things like this, continue to happen on all this "trusted" websites

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I did make a thread a few months back about this when Valve changed the user agreement with regards to 3rd party key resellers & everybody said I was wrong well this is exactly what I posted about.

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    just pirate a few games and ur done, dont worry.

it's companies job to prevent resellers, not users problem.

Mod edit: no more piracy talk.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No you made a thread about Steam gifts. You said that if you had a game in your inventory it had to stay there for 30 days prior to giving it to someone. Nowhere in the user agreement did it say anything about steam gifts.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If games were removed from Steam, you should've seen a warning message which wouldn't go away until you confirmed that you have read it. Still, g2a, kinguin, and like sites have always been grey areas and if keys are being revoked - there you go.

9. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Got 3 Title there 1 of which I've completed 100%,also i only purchase the steam gift ones...still have the games

10. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli
    There is a piss take irony too, I've always used the G2A shield to ensure a good transaction (at extra cost), as I didn't want to part with my money with no element of security. It seems that in this case, when the keys are revoked, that isn't part of it... I got my keys and G2A aren't liable thereafter.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I assume this has something to do with region locking and the recent changes. If you bought Russian games for example.. well.

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Never had a problem with them, however it's the risk we all take from such places, don't want to risk your purchases, don't go with the cheapest option just to save money.

13. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Its the way Valve worded it, You buy a key from G2A its is sent to you as a gift has the penny dropped yet ?.

14. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    970GTX
    G2A and like sites are very well known sites. Steam should take care of them instead of stealing users money. It's not user responsibility to check whether a seller is legal or illegal, specially when the price of the products usually looks quite normal.

I'm actually quite sure that if you go to a court, you would get games keys or your money back (ofc no1 would do that and that's why steam steals users money).

15. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli

I always ensure that the keys are EU/UK... I understand the risks associated with purchases from certain countries or regions. This isn't that, I've asked UBIsoft for more details over the most recent incident (Watch Dogs removed from Uplay), I'll see what their take on it is.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You're wrong on that. It is the users responsibility. If they purchase a key from a site that isn't on the authorized reseller list, then there's a chance of this happening. It's common sense. If some of my games got removed, I would have no one to blame but myself. I knew full well what I was doing when I purchased those keys in the first place. Fortunately, I've been lucky thus far.

17. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli
    It's a little like "receiving stolen goods" under UK law, but if you don't know they are stolen and purchase them in good faith, I never thought G2A was that dodgy... it seems to have a good affiliation with Paypal, which is why I started buying from there.

But as I said in my first post "So, when a price appears to be too good to be true... IT IS!". I think I'll be a little more skeptical and cynical when I purchase online from now on.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah.....................................:stewpid: Anyways, on the note i bolded, taking your game you bought from an unauthorized re seller and was not a legit copy away from you is trying to prevent unauthorized resellers, and it is a user problem. You as a consumer do not have a "i get to do whatever to your product and not have to worry about it" free card

LOL it's not a users responsibility for any of that? REALLY? What is wrong with you people and your inability to take any responsibility for anything? YOU, WE, ETC. ALL have the power to look up this information! If you decide not to, that's your fault. Just as in law, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" your ignorance of not making sure YOU are getting a product that is 100% legit is no excuse.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Take this as a lesson learned. Thankfully it was only a few games that got removed and not your entire account.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  20. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    970GTX
    There are about "300" shops around my home selling videogames which have a cdkey, should I ask all of them if they are legal steam vendors?
    The fact is that steam sold that key to someone and now he's selling it to me, is that illegal in any country?

Traditionally every shop selling illegal articles of some brand gets closed by the brand (go to court, police gets to the place...), mostly because of harming users and impersonating the brand, but it seems that online retailers are too lazy to do this. It's probably harder, but they have many ways to prevent it as at the end everything is centralized, or just live with it, they also have no cost-per-unit.

Personally, if I have to check whether a shop is safe or not, it's actually safer, faster (specially faster) and cheaper not to buy the game or... you know. I'm the client, this is something you people seem to forget when talking about online retailers. Their job is to make my life easier to convince me of buying in their shop and not in other shops. Of course they don't need to do this when they have a pseudo-monopoly and no1 claims for his rights and some people even defend your company.

Here we are discussing in a concrete niche of gamers, but most people does not even know that "illegal" retailers exist (just as we do in most of the things we buy). Steam can't just steal their money, agreements can't overtake laws and this one would be something like user blames G2A, G2A blames Valve, so G2A pays back and Valve has to pay back too.

And no, it's not even the same as buying stolen goods, unless Steam proves that they are stolen and not paid (highly doubt it, that would involve hacking their systems). It's more than probably buying illegally imported goods (which again, they can or not be illegal, what steam says does not matter if there is a law in the country).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014