^^g.u.r.u.3.d. musicians//

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by manothehour, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    These around the same time.
    piano 4 years, grand, keyboard 1year "not the cheap keyboards either"
    panpipes 4months off and on, more of a hobby.
    recorder 1.5years pretty good too.
    electric piano/keyboard misc-multiple instruments, 1year

drums: 10 mins
    2 cooking pots
    2 5gallon buckets.
    4 pan lids
    empty folgers coffee can with plastic top.
    cow bell
    counter top
    brothers head
    random household objects

Stopped cause got in trouble.

2. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I sing bass 2 thorugh baritone, and im a part-time tenor, but i do not enjoy squeezing my balls reaching for notes.

Ive been singing for 2 years and this is my third, but im better at it than a lot of ppl who've been doing it since middle school

Bass 2 is like the darth vader of singing (for those of you who dont know)

3. manothehour

manothehour Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
    wow im surprised i didnt know there were that many musicians here at guru3d. my friends and i are about to make a song, so ill post that once we get to it :).

anyone know any good recording things on the computer? (similar to windows sound recorder)

also, i see a lot of pianists, if i was learning how to play keyboard what would be some good tips for a beginner?

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    20 years of grand piano & keyboards playing jazz, classical & boogie-woogie... :)
    I can play all right, but can't compose $hit... total lack of talent in that department... :D
    Always wanted to try playing tubular bells since i am huge Mike Oldfied fan... ;)

5. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    If you want a good music recording program use Cubasis, its an awesome program, it can layer multiple recordings without audio corruption. "like the photoshop layer, but for music"

And anyone whom can type well, already has a headstart in being a pianist.
    I cant read music, i play by ear, but my step-grandfather taught me how to play as he was a teacher..

A keyboard piano with at least 60 keys is the best choice. anything less and your not going to have a good range. ^_^
    Make sure it has a midi port so you can connect it to your computer, expand your soundbanks, make recordings ect...

6. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    i produce music(mostly hip hop) on my computer using fruity loops 3, and Reason 2.5. I have a evolution mk-449c midi controller, and have just begun taking piano lessons about 2 months ago. I also have my turntables, been doing that about 2 years. I have some cheap ass numark decks, and a pretty nice mixer, a stanton smx501.
    I also record using soundforge 7.0 and a sennheiser e835 mic through my tascam us-122 soundcard/audio/midi interface. i get my dad to play some electric guitar through it, which i can sample later, and my freinds sometimes lay some ryhmes down(they need to work on them a little before i put em on any of my tracks though):p

7. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    go wind players.

Tenor Sax for 6 years --> Selmer Serie 3, professional model
    Piano for 9 years. ---> Kawai upright, pretty good

Play in a big band (Sounds of Seventeen, (a local music teacher/ amateur/if you're good, audition for a spot, if you suck, get out. band,) a source of extra income :) )

Play in all school bands. Jazz, (used to play in Rhythm and blues, but the vocalists sucked and so did most of the rhythm section) , Concert band, a Saxophone Quartet (plus one trombone), another Sax quintet/quartet a few years ago.

Was a member of the British Columbia Honours Band 2004 (musicians aged 16-25, have to audition, pay money to go, and get to work with a professional conductor and REALLY good musicians)

Was going to audition for Canada National Youth band, still could, but not sure if I'll have time...

That's about it.

Oh ya, I can sing quite well, but I don't like the choir teacher at my school, and although she continually harassess me to sing, I refuse to give in.

8. manothehour

manothehour Master Guru

GPU:
    hmm...looked up cubasis, it costs money i think, do u know of any free ones?

9. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    naw i got cubasis with my sound card. maybe you can download a trial or "extended demo"..
    sorry :(

10. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    I graduated and have diplomas from musical schools (Europe) :
    piano :D
    (I do not much care these diplomas, though) :)

I "love" to play and "compose" my own music. That is a sort of an escape from "standarized and commercialized" hits. Mind and soul "travels" far far away, for a moment at least :)

11. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit), and Sonar.

One of the best recording soundcards is the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's the one I use.

12. Byrd_Man5000

Byrd_Man5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
    I play bass a little, Fender. I'd like to learn to play drums.

13. thedeath2k4

thedeath2k4 Guest

i play drums, i don't personally have a set, although im saving for one (its on my list after an AMD 64 system) i just use other's sets.

14. manothehour

manothehour Master Guru

GPU:
    any of you drummers out there good? also, anybody have recordings of themselves on soundclick or have a band on purevolume or anything? pictures of their rig, geetar, piano, etc? (ahem trying to keep this thread alive heh :D )

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  15. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFI R9 390
    Here's the model of my acoustic Ovation. Imagine it in a dried blood red color.

Ovation Celebrity CC059

Both my Ibanez's
    Ibanez Mahogany Red AXS32DRF
    Ibanez Black GRX20BK

My amp
    Crate XT120R

Ive got another amp and an old guitar that usedto belong to my dad. THe amp is so old it doesnt have a label on it. It could be worth $5 or $5000 for all I know. As for the OTHER guitar it was a gift from my uncle to my dad back in 1968. Its worth about -$5 today :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004

16. manothehour

manothehour Master Guru

GPU:
    my rig

theres mine, just tuned and modified a little, and im gonna get some zildjians soon :D

17. Sobe

Sobe Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB