G-Sync Over HDMI (Via Freesync Monitor)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Dener de Paula Pereira, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Hello guys!
    I'm thinking in get a new card (probably a 1660ti or 2060), i have a acer ed242qr monitor, witch have only Vga, DVI and HDMI ports.
    My question is, i'll be able to use G-Sync in that monitor with one of this cards? or i'll have to take an AMD Equivalent card?

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Gsync works only with Display Port.

3. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Are you sure that your monitor doesn't have DisplayPort? Which is your monitor: the ED242QR wi or the ED242QR Abidpx?

On Acer's website, there is no variant of ED242QR that has VGA, DVI, & HDMI. The wi model has HDMI & VGA only, whereas the Abidpx model has HDMI, DVI, & DisplayPort.

4. Dener de Paula Pereira

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Is the ED242QRA*

5. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    The Acer ED242QRA has DisplayPort, so G-Sync on that monitor will work with the GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 via DP cable.

It is not a supported G-Sync Compatible monitor though, so there are no guarantees that G-Sync will work well on that monitor. You may suffer from intermittent black screens, ghosting or blur, etc. In all likelihood it will probably work just fine though, so you'll just have to try it out for yourself.

6. Dener de Paula Pereira

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    That's Strange, the mine have only HDMI, Vga and Dvi ports
    So its not compatible with G-Sync right?
    But i'll have the Windows Variable Refresh Rate?

7. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    If it doesn't have DisplayPort, then it is not compatible with Nvidia G-Sync. That means no variable refresh rate of any kind on Nvidia cards.

Get an AMD card instead for FreeSync over HDMI.

8. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
  9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    It's wrong since nVidia included HDMI 2.1 VRR (industry standard) support under the G-Sync brand. But I don't think they did or plan to do so with HDMI 2.0 FreeSync (AMD proprietary tech).

yasamoka likes this.
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I can say RTX 2080 works over HDMI here.It is a good thing Nvidia has been playing along these days.

12. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    I'm in the same situation, albeit with another monitor. My Acer KG221Q has no DisplayPort. It supports Freesync, but only over HDMI - which Nvidia cards do not support. It is the one thing which makes me think I maybe should have got an RX 5700 instead.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I run Nvidia RTX 2080 over HDMI G-sync Compatible monitor so it does work but not just on your monitor.Nvidia is playing ball people ,just check before buying monitors or check for updates for Nvidia over HDMI.Links have been posted already in thread.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    That link talks about displays using G-Sync modules beginning to support VRR over HDMI (but new displays only, no firmware updates for existing old displays). It doesn't say anything about Geforce cards beginning to support FreeSync displays which do not have a G-Sync module with VRR working over HDMI.
    But Turing cards started supporting HDMI 2.1 VRR a few months ago. So, my conclusion is that Turing cards and fairly new G-Sync module based displays probably work in VRR mode over HDMI.
    However, if any Geforce cards (Turing or possibly older as well) started working in VRR mode with displays which do not use a G-Sync module and not otherwise compatible with HDMI 2.1 VRR (which is a 2.1 feature but can be implemented on 2.0 hardware while keeping the 18G bandwidth limit - but this definitely needs a firmware update on an old display if possible at all) but only supposed to support AMD FreeSync over HDMI (meaning nVidia copied AMD's proprietary HDMI FreeSync soution) then it's fresh news to me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great reply ,yeah support HDMI VRR .My RTX 2080 does work on my G-Sync compatible monitor on HDMI.Take it any way you want.

16. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    But does that display have an nVidia G-Sync hardware module built-in or otherwise claim to be HDMI 2.1 VRR compatible (which is not the same as AMD's HDMI FreeSync)? Or is this a display with no G-Sync hardware module and no way or supporting HDMI 2.1 VRR (for example, released long before HDMI 2.1 was even a thing)?

For example, right now, I am using an RTX2060 card's HDMI 2.0 output and an LG C9 TV's HDMI 2.1 input to get HDMI 2.0 bandwidth but HDMI 2.1 VRR G-Sync (which is also a part of nVidia's "G-Sync Compatible" umbrella term now, it's not called "G-Sync HDMI VRR" or anything like that, it's simply "G-Sync Compatible" in NVCP and other press materials). It works, officially (since late November in the US, or late December in EU, or a little earlier if you decided to install beta VGA drivers and TV firmwares and/or manually forced the support in beta drivers on old TV firmwares).

So... could you please disclose your exact setup (your display model and revision number [indicate if you ever updated it's firmware] and the first nv driver version VRR over HDMI started working with)?
    I am honestly interested in finding out if your setup uses a new generic HDMI VRR (HDMI 2.1 standard or something else, like a copy-paste adoption of VESA A-Sync over HDMI 2.0) or the proprietary AMD FreeSync (which is neither of the earlier mentioned things).

This would be easiest to test with a few years old FreeSync display (with zero official G-Sync support) manufactured and sold long before nVidia's "G-Sync Compatible" support started and the new HDMI 2.1 standard was finalized (and received no firmware updates, or those were never installed on the particular unit). If a display like that (which surely doesn't have a G-Sync hardware module and can't possibly support anything that wasn't even available at the time) work with a Geforce card over HDMI in VRR mode then nVidia did indeed copied AMD's HDMI FreeSync support. (It's definitely possible but I have a hard time believing until somebody demonstrates it.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020