G-Sync + In-game V-Sync OR Control Panel V-sync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Oct 14, 2020.

1. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC
    i don´t know why but if i enable vsync even with same 3 fps cap below my refresh rate and gsync on, i´m have higher input lag, its easily perceptive on games like pes 2020 and cs, i´m always using latency mode on ultra too and its feels better to me

2. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    I am not sure if G-Sync Compatible was ever validated for V-Sync + fps cap scenarios nearly as rigorously as module based G-Sync.
    I always see some tearing close to the bottom of the screen with V-Sync off. It virtually disappears at very low fps caps but I think it's still there for some degree (just not visible anymore to the naked eye). They say module based G-Sync is fine without V-Sync as low as -2 fps below the max refresh rate. Although most people probably doesn't test for tearing nearly as rigorously as I did.
    So Compatible displays might be loose with their timing and need V-Sync more often for small corrections. But removing that tear line from the bottom of the screen presumably needs VERY little sync delays (something like 1 ms or so, not a whole refresh rate cycle time, so you should be able to feel it, not even 1000 fps cameras will catch this easily because it's close to their sampling "noise floor").

BlindBison likes this.
  3. jorj02

jorj02 Member

GPU:
    8 gb ram
    u can try little trick on gsync this one give me the most smooth gaming experience i ever had the problem frame rate limiter v3 not work for many games

for ow is fine

144hz do 138 fps 180hz do 171 fps 240hz do 234 fps

[​IMG]

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Gaming X UV
    When you turn on vsync in many (any?) Vulkan application, it actually behaves like fifo_relaxed with Nvidia on Windows, i.e. there is tearing with frame times below refresh rate. When forcing via driver, it's regular fifo. A really weird mess.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Wish there was a standard way for such things. I've read about tons of different variations but the one that does stand out more than others is G-Sync & V-sync ON in NVCPL. Also there is talk about frame cap at least 4 frames below refresh rate. Though then there's the discussion where you should enforce this limit? In MSI AB? NVCPL? In-game? The third option would be the worst since not all games have frame limiters.

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Gaming X UV
    Blurbusters pointed out the most important: Using vsync with VRR does not increase lag when you stay within VRR range, and that's what the fps limiters are for. Even limiting 1fps below maximum refresh rate can be enough to have decent latency, e.g. ULL ultra + Gsync does this in DX11 with 60Hz. That's basically it. With DX12/Vulkan in-game limiters can still give a substantially more direct result, as they can limit CPU prerender, whereas the driver can't.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    IMO, V-Sync occasionally increases the latency by a tiny bit. That's how it removes that sporadically appearing tear line from the bottom of the screen. But we are talking about something like 1 ms or so, not nearly close to the avergae frame-time. It's probably not even consistently measurable by ~ 1000 Hz sampling rate sensors (like those 980 or something fps cameras in enthusiast sport equipments and some Samsung Note devices).

On the other hand, most external limiters add measurable latency, something close to 1 frame (I guess it fluctuates between ~0 and ~1, depending on how things play out with all other factors at play in a complex system).
    But in-game limiters should not add any lag (however, I doubt anybody tested all games thoroughly).

The important part is that V-Sync should be turned on for G-Sync and a limiter must be used for the optimal result (the theoretical perfect setup is a lagfree in-game limiter but an external is still better than nothing).

BlindBison likes this.