G-Sync Broken with Latest Two Drivers [RTX 3070, Solved via Driver Rollback]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Feb 15, 2024.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    On the latest two drivers Nvidia G-Sync appears to be broken and behaves like ordinary V-Sync for my 3070 rig. I clean installed the latest driver and G-Sync is enabled for fullscreen and windowed mode. I also tested driver v-sync ON and in-game v-sync ON but they both seem to have the same effect. Weirdly the G-Sync overlay option in the control panel does show up in game "as if" g-sync is ON but it very clearly is not.

What it appears like is occurring is that normal old V-Sync is being used, not G-Sync. In Hunt Showdown for example if I set the FPS limit to 72 (into a 144 hz container) it looks perfectly smooth again, but any other framerates above that stutter (e.g. uncapped means I get like ~100 variable on my g-sync 144 hz panel or a 90 fps cap looks like triple buffered v-sync judder).

Cyberpunk I'm seeing the same behavior regrettably. My plan is to roleback to an older driver and hope that helps, but I don't know if Nvidia actually keeps the newer drivers round anymore so I'll search around a bit. Used to be sometimes G-Sync wouldn't kick in and alt+tabbing would fix it, but that's not doing the trick anymore RIP. Feelsbadman :( Anybody run into this before and find a solution? Thanks!

EDIT: Fixed by doing the following:
    1) Uninstalled Ryzen Chipset drivers and rebooted
    2) Used Wagnardsoft DDU to uninstall GPU driver / all
    3) Rebooted and had Wagnardsoft option to block windows from auto-installing packages
    4) Downloaded the 3rd driver back (546.65 DCH option for the 3070)
    5) Clean installed Driver (advanced clean)
    6) Clean installed Ryzen chipset drivers
    All seems well now -- it seems it was indeed the latest 2 drivers that broke G-Sync for me on the 3070. Hopefully they fix this in future drivers, but I haven't found any other threads on this elsewhere, hopefully Nvidia knows about the issue.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
  3. haippa

haippa Member

GPU:
    4090 AERO OC
    Are you using an insider build of windows?

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No, but my Windows 11 version is as up to date as it can be

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Found a way actually from that first link to old drivers they just changed how it's organized -- you have to go to old drivers sublink on the page then choose DCH:
    upload_2024-2-14_22-23-10.png
    Going to try a DDU uninstall + roleback and will report back

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @ManuelG I appear to have stumbled on a G-Sync bug in the latest Two Drivers if you're able to pass it along (at least with the 3070/possibly pre-4000 series cards -- see original post here for what I'm referring to). I didn't see other threads elsewhere online talking about this yet so it may be helpful to pass along to the team if you get a free moment. Thanks!

7. oneoulker

oneoulker Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    Interesting, do you have a monitor OSD to take a look at refresh rate?

BlindBison likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I do yes and FPS variable or locked is identical to 3rd driver back VS last two drivers (only G-Sync is busted on the last two drivers for my system/3070 at least) -- rolling back to the 3rd driver back and clean installing fixed the issue so it's definitely driver related (clean install for latest two drivers did not fix the issue). This is with a 3070 / 5800X Win11 system

G-Sync overlay via the control panel toggle "claimed" G-Sync was ON and regardless of V-Sync on/off or driver vs in-game it was functioning like triple buffered V-Sync with V-Sync judder and only smooth frametimes at 144 hz locked or 72 hz locked (etc). At first I thought G-Sync must be working and that the driver broke frametimes in some games, but that wasn't it given that a 144 hz lock or 72 fps lock into 144 hz container looked "perfect" so it was behaving either like FIFO triple buffered v-sync or LIFO windows compositor triple buffered v-sync (v-sync OFF) in my tests.

Alt+Enter, going to desktop then back, disbling fullscreen optimizations, windowed mode/fullscreen, nothing I did made G-Sync work again on those latest two drivers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  9. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    Can confirm that I also have that issue. checked Nvidia Pendulum Demo (Stuck with No Vsync.. can't switch to G-Sync) & Fortnite (G-Sync indicator doesn't appear)
    (RTX 2070S/monitor Acer B246WL/VRR Range:49~68Hz)

BlindBison likes this.
  10. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The topic title is a bit misleading. Rolling the drivers back ba a few versions might fixed your system for the time being but it didn't fix the behaviour of the last few drivers on your system. The [SOLVED] tag sort of indicates it did and there is zero issue anywhere after cleaning and reinstalling.

BTW, G-Sync seems to work for me with latest Win11 23H2 and last few drivers.

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you for confirming, that's very helpful to know. My bet is that it may only effect non-4000 series cards?

12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, I updated it to "Solved via Driver Rollback" inline with your feedback. What GPU are you using? @P_G19 has a 2000 series card and I have a 3000 series card (3070).

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Stupid question perhaps but the G-sync demo doesn't apply to monitors without G-sync modules right? I have a G-sync compatible monitor.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It should work with "compatible" monitors as well.

Netherwind and BlindBison like this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Unrelated to this topic, I greatly enjoy your comments man. You've had a lot of useful info especially on FPS limiting and such over time, cheers :)

eGGroLLiO and RealNC like this.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, then something's wrong :) "No V-sync" is ticked, G-sync isn't even though both V-sync and G-sync are enabled in NVCPL.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What happens if you try to tick it?

BlindBison likes this.
  18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    It probably should but that utility is just old in general. For example, AMD's similar "windmill" utility stopped working a long time ago.

BlindBison likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Nothing unfortunately. The "tick" just instantly moves back to Vsync disabled.

20. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    The newest driver 551.61 appears to have resolved this. So, seems it was only a bug for those two prior driver releases. Huzzah :)

JAMVA, fluidz and eGGroLLiO like this.