G.SKILL Releases New AMD Compatible Trident Z RGB kits for AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well I know what I need for christmass now. Still can't push my 3ghz Corsair memory past 2066hz reliably.. :'(

Luc likes this.
  3. Quetho

Quetho Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte AORUS RX580
    I already have 2x8gb DDR4 3200 cl14 Trident Z rgb for my R7 1700, after some tryhard, it now works flawlessly . what does this "Ryzen optimised" gives us ?

Luc likes this.
  4. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Not sure if trolling or just thick.

Look at the post prior to yours, every single ryzen and threadripper review...and every ryzen thread on the internet to see your answer...

99% of all ram kits, regardless or voltage, verified speed, default speed or timings don't function properly without lots of downclocking and manual timing tweaks...sometimes just to get the system to boot.

That is why having kits designed specifically to work with the most problematic cpus ram compatibility wide that has ever been seen.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Memory dies aren't made all at the same factory. Following JEDEC specs, most will work at stock DDR4 speeds, others will have problems.
    Generally speaking, memory coming from Samsung will work without problems. Other memory modules should work if new enough and already fixed in motherboard firmware by AMD.
    PS: Different fabrication plants have different node processes in action. Samsung makes memory modules on some of the latest process nodes wile others are a bit behind.

Luc likes this.
  6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have gskill Flare-x 3200 booted right up at 3200 after setting the XMP profile. I can only slightly OC it with some stability so maybe these will do a bit better.

Luc likes this.
  7. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Well, just yesterday I finished building my new rig, put 4x8GB of those Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C14D-16GTZR) onto the Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 (with 1700X). Did BIOS update to the latest F7a, activated XMP, and bam, memory running at full 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1T totally stable. I was amazed, but it looks like AMD is finally putting their things together

Luc likes this.
  8. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    People have been having probkems with ram kits of all speeds but mostly anything above 3200mhz, so having a 3200mhz ram kit work is not a sign that the majority problem is gone.

That would be like someone saying my 6700k model cpu has problems overclocking and I responded by saving 'I overclocked mine to 4.2ghz no problem to be seen' when literally every 6700k can be overclocked higher.

Intels current skylake x motherboards support speeds of 4200/4400/4600mhz....ryzen still has a very long way to go. Not just in max speeds but stable speeds and working xmp profiles for totally fine brand new ram kits from all makers that only have problems on ryzen boards.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't think Quetho is trolling. I have a Biostar board (a company not known for stability) with 16GB of 3GHz RAM overclocked to 3.2GHz, with a CL of 14. I did not adjust any of the timings; they're all left at defaults. The RAM I'm using I bought before Ryzen was released. In other words, it has no AMD certification at all.

I don't know if this is true of other boards, but for mine, it doesn't set the RAM voltages properly. I had to manually adjust the voltages or else my system would be rendered unbootable at the slightest adjustment of anything RAM related. Even with XMP profiles loaded, it still didn't change the voltages. I found that I needed to overvolt just a smidgen to keep my 200MHz OC stable, but from what I recall I'm still below 1.35v and my RAM is running nice and cool.

It it also important to consider the command rate. T2 should offer you more stability, though for whatever reason when I manually adjust it to T2 my system is rendered unbootable. I kept the auto-adjust (I forget what AMD calls it, Gear Down or something like that) on, and it just happens to be stable. I'm certainly not complaining - if I get T1 with my specs then great.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Luc likes this.
  10. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Here, a Ryzen 5 1600 on a X370 Taichi with the latest Bios, using an XMP kit of 32Gb (2x16gb sticks) G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz Cl14 at its designed speed.

I think most of ram sticks will work at its announced speed within time. For the moment, it will depend on the motherboard (external BCLK chip helps) and the kit.

This link helped me a lot, because I was really confused about, to much trolling arround tech sites.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

PS: I am a daily reader, but I needed to register myself because of this; some comments only spread missinformation and doesn´t help nobody.

11. Misha Engel

Misha Engel Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    Yep it's sad that people like Emille get the opportunity to spread misinformation.

Guru3D made a very nice article about memory for Ryzen

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-memory-and-tweaking-analysis-review,1.html

And then trolls like Emille do everything to spread misinformation.
    How f*cking sad.

Aura89 and Luc like this.
  12. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Lol, misinformation saying that ram kits have problems running at their rated speed and running over 3200mhz when this very article itself is a product release for 'rzyen compatible' ram specifically because of the incompatiility so many ram kits have with ryzen, not only that but the ram being advertised is 3200mhz and 2933 respectively, basically the only speeds that work with ryzen currently.

You fanboys are sycophants, you can't even call a problem a problem, you have to pretend it doesn't exist.

You might want to swing an email by g.skill and ask them to stop spreading misinformation about ram incmpatibility....and the false perception that ryzen/threadripper have problems with ram speeds over 3200mhz...which EVERY reviewer reported.

13. QuantumsEdge

QuantumsEdge Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    HAHAHAA! I hope no one is actually considering these RAMs. They are launching a new line for AMD yet Intel ones still don't work, 9 months later still in 3rd iteration of BETA. Go to their forums, completely flooded with complaints and troubleshooting problems and RMAs!!!!! http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67 At this point I would be surprised if they got them working by CES 2018! GREAT SKILL

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You joined the forum just to troll? Do you have any prof? I have Gskill memory on my i5 2500k and never had a problem. Not to say a brand won't have problems, specially with the ruched Ryzen launch, but AMD has fixed most issues and released recommendations on what memory to get.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I too have used G.Skill many times without problem, including in my current gaming PC. The funny and ironic part is why anybody has any loyalty to any RAM manufacturer*. It's like favoring a GPU made by MSI over a brand like Gigabyte - they're both pretty much the same thing, with small tweaks here and there to the heatsink or clocks. In the end, you're basically just picking the product that looks best in your build, has the best price, or has a specialized cooling solution. RAM is no different. They're pretty much all made by Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron, I think Toshiba, and I swear there was at least 1 more. Look at the PCB of a DIMM and you'll find that there's not really anything that spectacular about it. None of the minor components (like capacitors and resistors) are going to make enough of a difference between which brand you get. When you pick a different brand, it's the same idea as GPUs: you're selecting what has the best appearance, cooling method, or chip binning.

* Samsung and Micron/Crucial are the exceptions, since they not only make the ICs but they also make entire DIMMs.

Silva likes this.

16. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    Makes sense. I bought the TridentZ 3,200MHz 16GB kit for the Intel ones and it was a headache to get it stable and working on my Ryzen 1700 OCED to 3.80Ghz with an ASRock AB350M Pro 4. Disabled BankGroupSwap/BankGroupSwapALT, if I disabled Geardown then they would be unstable at Command Rate 1T, so they would only work at 2T, increasing the latency notably. So having Geardown enabled allowed the RAM to be stable at 1T (Which is kinda like 1.5T with Geardown enabled). Then adjusted the voltage to 1.35V on the RAM and the timings at 16-18-18-38 and they are stable at 2,933MHz, can't go any higher and these memories are certified for 3,200Mhz, but oh well.

17. QuantumsEdge

QuantumsEdge Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    You say this yet I literally cited the G.Skill forums containting said complaints /failures, a forum where I have been registered for several months and made several posts citing the issues with the G.Skill TridentZ RGB Ram including compatibility issues which G.Skill admins state "
    1. The software will conflict with other LED lighting control software (such as ASUS Aura, Gigabyte Fusion, MSI Command Center/Mystic Light, NZXT CAM, etc.). Please do not install both software at the same time, or there may be software conflicts. We will be working in future versions to improve compatibility between the different software programs."\
    RIP our RGB controllable RAM and full RGB builds

18. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    No 2x16GB 3200 kit for Ryzen. :(

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What G.Skill flaming drill are you on? Works totally fine if you use one application e.g. mystic Light or Aura, just not both software's (their in-house app) which you can read from that line. I've tested the RGB DIMMs on Ryzen and even use a kit in the Threadripper reviews. I didn't see a problem then and I do not see it now.

Silva likes this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't know of any motherboard rated above 3200Mhz, i could be wrong, mind you. But stating you can't go above what is rated on a motherboard being a "problem" is nonsense.
    Again, something not working where it is not supported is not a "problem".

And again, i could be wrong, but i have not seen a motherboard state it supports over 3200Mhz speed.

For that matter, Ryzen itself does not claim to support anything above 2667Mhz (why motherboards are able to claim otherwise makes no sense to me, personally)

So, again, something not doing something it was never intended to do, or support, does not denote a problem.

Silva likes this.