G.SKILL Offers New Memories for AMD Ryzen 2000 Series Processors and X470 Platform

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Sorry if I am not excited, but 3200CL16 and 3600CL18 is nothing to boast about. Most likely Hynix chips as Samsung B-dies were 3200CL14 and 3600CL16.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well by the same token and to be honest , Hynix Dual Rank based memory perform better and faster at the same clock per clock and timings than Samsung B-Die Single Rank based memory , so if this kit is based on Hynix Ram Chips i would not be too worried about it as the performance it's there. This was a thing in the past when the first Ryzen was launched that Hynix based memory would not run above 2666Mhz , that time has gone away and now Hynix ram it's 100% stable at 3200Mhz and beyond !

You can find more information on our own Guru3D dedicated thread for Ryzen CPU's here - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...emory-speeds-timings-tweaking-cooling.412876/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

I couldnt even run my dual rank hynix ram above 2133 at first, then it worked at 2400.

Though I had them in Bank A1 and Bank B1. No matter what ram, my board does not do over 2400 in those slots.
    Bank A2, Bank B2 I can get over 3000mhz on my ram now. But I just run it at XMP 3000 2933*.

chispy likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes , i still remember those early days ( :D i still have nightmares of it ) and we have been here with Ryzen 1 since the beginning :) . Agonist same as you , now Hynix / Micron or Samsung based Ram will run at DDR4-3200Mhz on the Ryzen motherboards, and that's where the sweet spot is for Ryzen cpus.

Agonist likes this.
  6. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    "New Memories" Hilbert? Was that a joke or is your English slipping?
    Ah, the memories we've shared. Good times, good times.
    ;)

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Well it's too early to speak about how it is on Zen+, but on 1st gen ryzen its still more difficult to run Hynix memory stable and that difficulty increasing with clock speed and number of dims.

I got rid of my Hynix based kit because I simply could not make it 100% stable.
    There are some pople having Hynix with tight timings running fine, but many others arer still strugling.
    More or less you need to win silicon lottery on CPU to have good IMC and as well get lucky with memory.

Tried personally different modules and it was more or less fine with 2x4 modules or 2x8GB modules, but none of 32/64GB kits worked for me. I am probably bit unlucky with my 1800x IMC quality as it took effort to make even Ryzen specific Samsung B-dies runs stable, but still it was way easier to work with and thats with latest AGESA bioses.

You might be right (can't confirm or deny) that Hynix chips may perform better compared to samsung chips @ same Clock & Timing, however there are no 3200CL14 Hynix based modules and memory with 14-14-14-14 timings will be faster than 16-18-18-18.

BTW, I got my R7 1800x 2 weeks after its official launch, mainly due to lack of motherbord availability and pretty much spent whole 7 months trying to get my hynix memory stable, testing pretty much every Bios or setting available as part of ROG Croshair VI octhread@OCN before giving up and getting Samsung based memory.

I would be carefull about making statements that every Hynix memory will allways run 3200+ on Ryzen because thats not allways the case.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sorry to hear you got unlucky on the silicon lottery :/ as IMC in fact plays the major role here.

Please google Single Rank memory versus Dual Rank memory performance , it takes only a few seconds to find benchmarks and results showing DR memory it is always faster than SR memory at the same Cas lat and timings. I can also confirm this statement it's true as i have tested myself. Here a quick video showing you the performance difference -

Like you , i have also been with Ryzen since the very beginning day 1 of release , active in OCN / hwbot / XS / Guru3D / TPU and every single forum geared towards overclockers . Have played with many many Ram kits Samsung B-Die / Hynix MFR - AFR / Micron , I have tested many Beta Bios for Elmor not released for public and only me , and such Bios never made it outside. I hear you , i know the struggle was real , not so much now. I was testing everything for myself since day 1 bios of Asus CH6 Hero , 4 kits of ram / 2x 1700 and 2x 1700x CPUs.

Let me correct you , i did not sate that " EVERY " Hynix memory will always run 3200+ on Ryzen. However i did say " that time has gone away and now Hynix ram it's 100% stable at 3200Mhz and beyond ! " If you catch my drift ... a good Hynix Memory Kit DDR4-3200 Cas 16 would do , nor those cheap DDR4-2400 Kits , cheaper kits DDR4-2400Ghz won't reach DDR4-3200Mhz what i am trying to say in other words is if you want to run DDR4-3200Mhz on Dual Ranked memory Hynix you do need to buy the DDR4-3200Mhz kit and not el cheapo DDR4-2400Mhz. I stand by my statement.

9. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Ok so you are talking about single vs dual rank memory, in that case yes dual rank memory offer small speed benefit but at cost of higher demand on IMC and also in this case memory chip brand does not matter as you can get dual rank dims for all. It just depend on module capacity vs used chip capacity if it will be single or dual rank memory.

I will stand by my statement that Samsung based modules are more reliable (better chance to run in case you loose silicon lottery) and faster because of tighter timings if you use same rank memory.

And just for your information I was using Gskill Trident Z GTZR 32GB 3200CL16 Hynix dual chanel kit and in the end switched to at the time brand new Gskill Trident Z RGB GTZRX (X as for ryzen specific) 32GB 3200CL14 quad chanel kit. Quad chanel because thinking about getting TR2 as soon as its released due to more PCI-e lanes as I am already on PCI-e lanes limit for Ryzen.

chispy likes this.
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I agree with you that Samsung it is more reliable on Ryzen system ,but now we cannot discard Hynix memory as a good option as Bios have mature and are working as it should. Let's take this discussion to a proper thread here on Guru3D so that we can discuss in detail a bit more if you want to , we can continue here on my own Ryzen Overclocking thread = https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...emory-speeds-timings-tweaking-cooling.412876/ thank you.

Regards: chispy

11. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    There is some CAS 16 3600Mhz GSkill floating around. Anyone got it to XMP post on Ryzen?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have those ... 4x 8GB. Sitting here, catching dust (box) till MB comes. I hope for 3200MHz, anything above will be bonus.
    MB is still listed as available on 26th, so I may have one on Freya's Day.

chispy likes this.
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ^ Have two of those on my C6H. Have been running a BCLK of 100.6 and strap of 3466 since early on. It is just with the recent bios updates have been getting a BCLK of 101 with same strap closer to stable. 3600 is able to boot to windows desktop now and can complete some benches but that is it. 3600 still needs major tinkering to get stable. Hopefully with the new x470 chipset and new Ryzens that will not be so difficult. I feel that the sweet spot begins at 3500 and just gets better from there.

chispy likes this.
  14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I have a MSI x370 Carbon mobo. I have running 3333 CAS 16 stable. I wonder if there would be improvement running the 1700x on a x470.

15. JSebastian

JSebastian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL OC RX-580
    I'm running a set of FlareX 3200 C14 @ 3466MHz with no issue whatsover... Timings are 14-14-14-28-42-1T ~1.40v
    https://valid.x86.fr/l4r4vv