G.SKILL DDR5 8800 Memory Kits Overclocking Demonstrations at Computex

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I am mighty impressed by how quickly DDR5 is evolving (in comparison with DDR4)

By the time I upgrade to whatever next platform I'll like, I'm sure DDR5-8000 or so will be commonplace at acceptable prices.

386SX likes this.
  3. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    While these clock speeds and thus potential bandwidth for these kits is impressive, I would really like to know what the latencies and more importantly voltage requirements that come with these kits are. If the latencies are high, the extra bandwidth will not bring that much and if the voltage requirements are high, these kits might not work too well with the current new voltage guidelines for AM5 motherboards.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    DDR5 on AM5 is actually fairly easy in retrospect.
    For the memory controller to perform at his best you don't need a SOC Voltage above 1.25V anyway.

You can still use whatever VDDIO and VDDR you want for all those kits.

My GSkill DDR5 kit was rated for Intel XMP 6400MHz @1.4V 32-39-39, and it ran out of the box on AM5 at 6400MHz @1.4V 30-38-38 with extremely tight secondary timing.
    I suspect those high frequencies DDR5 kit will work perfectly fine with AMD as well.
    My SOC voltage is at 1.23V

Maddness likes this.

5. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    whats speed show in aida64 memory benchmark 150 gbps?
    my xeon quad channel ddr3 1333 is 40 gbps

6. VaultDweller

VaultDweller Member

GPU:
    And yet using XMP or EXPO will invalidate the warranty on your CPU, go figure.

FlyBy likes this.
  7. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I do not think the VSOC limit of 1.3V is hurting the max clocks, unless maybe when using 4 dimms, but Intel takes a big hit there to, so it is probably more about the mainboard traces then the voltage.

I am running a 7800X3D with 2X 32GB 6000 30 40 40 96 just with XMP.
    VSOC 1.18V and 1.38V mem VDD.
    The settings are not dialed in or anything, the only thing I did was lower the mem voltage a little because 1.4V in bios gave me 1.41-1.42V in windows and I saw no reason to supply more then what the sticks are rated at, when only using XMP anyway.

Maddness likes this.
  8. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    100% the above

Youtubers and Websites ( like this ) should CLEARLY mark this with every article where XMP and EXPO are mentioned until it changes in favor for the consumer.

Just start doing it, say no to dirty tricks like this. Don't play a part in it, don't fool your readers !

***Warning*** -- Using these settings VOIDS your WARRANTY-- ***Warning***

9. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No :)

From Safedisk from Asus :

ROG MAXIMUS / STRIX Z790 Series Beta Bios 1103

1) Improve system performance
    2) Update ROG logo for visual identity
    3) Update EC FW version

Even if use the beta bios, there is no problem with the warranty.
    In the meantime, there has not been a single case where the warranty has been denied because of using the beta bios, so can use it with confidence upload_2023-6-5_13-46-6.gif

https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...imus-z790-owners-thread.1800191/post-29195370

10. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Asus is far from the beacon of trust.
    They only changed it when they where forced to by media kickback.

They tried to trick me and throw AMD under the bus and in the end denied my RMA of a Vega 64.
    The fix was to install rubberbands on the cooler to keep it from falling off the card and uninstall all Asus software because it conflicted with the AMD driver and they did not care enough to fix it.

The 5700xt had the exact same problem on the reused cooler and Asus blamed AMD for it too, but quietly fixed it anyway.

The exact same thing happened when they had a batch of wrongly mounted capacitors on the motherboard, it was deny deny deny, sorry we made an error and will replace the board.

Same thing with Ryzen 7000, deny all claims of high SOC voltage until they could not deny it anymore and had to change course.
    Some Asus users are still defending the higher voltage because they are afraid that auto XMP or EXPO will no longer work anymore even though it works on Asrock and MSI.
    I am willing to bet that future beta bios will void warranty when all the media kickback blows over in 1 year or so.

Same with the Asus router firmware crashing because of bad security firmware pushed to routers. "Just restart, it should fix itself".

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah, it sucks 7600 is just 220eur now but ddr5 controller tops at 6000mhz. If it did 7400, which a lot of a-dies can, it'd be a killer setup.