FXAA instead of MSAA 4X?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BillieGDJoe, Apr 17, 2013.

1. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK
    Hi folks,

Considering 1080p, when the support in game to FXAA is well implemented, is safe to assume that I can use it AND disable MSAA completely at least 4X? In my tests, at WOW I got better FPS and IQ (without blurriness) using FXAA only (multisampling 1x = off in game settings) than using no FXAA and multisampling 4x. Is that right?

2. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    If you don't notice bluriness you are good to go, actually FXAA isn't that bad when it's well implemented, if you use it as an Injector bluriness is much more noticable (at least for me) so i use SMAA/SweetFX 1.4 instead

3. Aztek87

Aztek87 Active Member

GPU:
    NV Geforce GTX 780M 4GB
    I don't see why more than 4xAA is needed at 1080p, I have been playing BF3 with FXAA only at 1080p and I have no complaints.

4. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

It depends on the size of your screen just as much as the resolution. More specifically, the physical resolution (ppi) rather than the virtual one. A 27" screen running in 1080p has far more obvious pixels than a 23" screen also running at 1080p.

I tried running global FXAA a while back, but ultimately had to return to TrSSAA. The hit-and-miss nature of FXAA, coupled with its negative impact on text and lack of correction for temporal aliasing, just made the results generally unsatisfactory to me. But I will use it for things which lack decent compatibility bits (eg BS Infinite, Dead Space, etc) as the alternative is even less appealing.