FX 8350 and 290X Tri-X and poor performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wobbly69, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes.

2. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Yes, but check it when gaming, If your cpu or gpu isn't drawing enough power, the core speed will drop.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ermm, no...core speed is determined by P States which in turn depend on CPU load. Vcore drops when the CPU enters a lower P State, not the other way around....

*Btw on a side note I suggest disabling Turbo and bumping up the base to at least the stock Turbo speed. If Turbo is on the CPU tries to maintain a preset TDP so will throttle cores accordingly.

Just some some fyi....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Fair enough, but lowering my vcore stopped the above issue for me.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The vcore is supposed to fluctuate, it's a power saving feature. But if a manual vcore is set in BIOS instead of offset, voltage will be constant even when the core speed drops. Or if CnQ is off.

6. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Ah ha, thanks for clearing that up!

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No problem. :)

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I haven't had a chance to test 14.12 myself, though I plan to install it tonight. If you think it's a driver issue, test with the 14.4 or 13.12 driver.

9. wobbly69

wobbly69 Member

GPU:
    290X Tri X 4GB
    I will revert back to 14.4 later today.....when I've got rid of this bloody hangover :p

10. wobbly69

wobbly69 Member

GPU:
    290X Tri X 4GB
    Back to 14.4 and still the same.

One thing I get when installing both 14.4 and the latest drivers is that the HDMI Audio driver always fails to install although a Microsoft driver is installed and working. Is this a common problem?

11. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Not here no. The amd audio driver is always recognized and installed with the correct drivers. You can disable it in device manger though, if you're not using it.

Your clocks going up and down really sounds familiar, something they introduced to save power and heat. Most people don't want that though, so they enable the power limit setting and put it at a higher value. We got our 290 tri-x at 10%, but it can be maxed at 50%.
    This will keep your clocks at max when gaming.

If you've already tried that, and it's not working, i would think you got a faulty card, combined with that failed audiodriver.
    Can't judge the 14.12 omega drivers, but 14.11B2 are great drivers and on my system certainly better than 14.4 or any other.

12. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    Do you use Radeon Pro? I was having some weird GPU core fluctuations with one of of my cards dropping to 300mhz. When I disabled RP it went away.

13. wobbly69

wobbly69 Member

GPU:
    290X Tri X 4GB
    I will try that, thanks.

I havent played with Radeon Pro for a while as I thought the developer went off to work for Raptr. I take it that its still working okay?

14. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    RP does still work, I was using it for the dynamic framerate control, but I noticed that in games that one of my video cards was locked at 300ghz killing framerate. Once I disabled RP both cards worked at max clock.