FX 8150 upgrade

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Sol1960, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    OP keep what you have BD is generally a waste of money. very inconsistant performance all around

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Read my post again.
    I was simply suggesting that if the OP really wants to upgrade, he's better off migrating to an i5-2500K rather than an FX-8150, based on their default clock performances being showed on the graph you posted.

And still can't properly beat a traditional 4-core on a lower clock speed.

I'm pretty sure it's easier to get an i5-2500K to 4.5GHz compared to an FX-8150.

That 8GHz world record?
    Did it last for more than 10 minutes? No.
    Did it do it with all of its cores active? No.
    What was the previous record holder? A Pentium 4.
    Was it a great chip? It was...for laughs.
    (except for the very last revision of it, I guess...but CMIIW)

Migrating to an i5-2500K is potentially cheaper than to buy an FX-8150, which was my point.
    A PII X6 1100T with the OP's motherboard will go for at least a $100.
    Subtract that $100 from the Z68 board (without MIR) price, then add the price of an i5-2500K, and it'd still be cheaper than buying a CPU (FX-8150) alone.

Remember, my suggestion is strictly from the conclusion of the prices that are available from a widely known e-tailer and the performance benchmark that you posted.

Well, thank you for coming here out of pity then.

3. Kaktus

Kaktus Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    @k1net1cs
    1stly you asked the guy to show you a review of performance in photoshop. The guy does exactly that, and then you back off and tell him not to read articles so much?

What's wrong with you, he did exactly what you asked for. Showed you that the 8150 performs better than the 1100t. Intel doesn't matter as it's amd vs amd.. :3eyes:

4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Thank you for seeing my point of view.

I've been on Guru for more than 6 yrs...maybe more.
    I come here because it's a great site. Not hear to argue, just here to share my opinion with like minded people.

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yeesh, talk about taking things out of context.
    I never backed off.
    Read my post again.

That, emphasis is mine, is different from saying "Don't read articles.", which you implied.
    What that means is to not just read articles and take them for granted, but also take into consideration other factors such as, in this case, current pricings on the hardware being benchmarked.

What's wrong with me is because there's something wrong with your interpretation of my posts.
    Yes, an FX-8150 did beat a PII X6 1100T on a Photoshop benchmark, I never denied that after I knew there's a specific benchmark on it (which is why I asked for it in the first place).
    But for the price of an FX-8150, it's potentially cheaper to move to an i5-2500K, which slightly beats (or on par with) the FX-8150 on stock clocks.

In any case, it was just a suggestion.
    The OP could take it or leave it, which doesn't concern me nor should it concern you.
    But it seems it concerns you very much the fact that I suggested an Intel.
    What is wrong with you?

Anyway, not going to continue these 'personal banters'; getting WAY off topic.
    Just PM me if you really need to discuss this further.

6. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    If you do get one. Get the FX8120, much cheaper and overclocks the same.

7. Sol1960

Sol1960 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 OC 1gb
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well a 4.5ghz FX8150 gets ~ 100fps in cpu depended benchmark (Resident evil5 fixed bench)

while mine 96.5fps oc'ed at 3.57ghz.

I bet your 6core gets better results ^^

9. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6800
    Wait for bulldozer windows 7 scheduler update and only then check out its true performance ! becouse for now BD doesnt work properly as Gabe Gravning said "In Windows 7, workloads are simply executed sequentially across the cores."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. Mileunder

Mileunder Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB x2
    Not at all

To be honest with you the fx series isnt much of an upgrade at all from where you are. If you need more power from the proccesor i would overclock your 1100t up a bit. And if your already at the OC limit maybe a new heatsink to help?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    Don't expect to see any major improvements..... I'd expect to see at most a 10-15% improvement....which still wouldn't make it worth the cost compared to a PhenomII X6 1100T...

12. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    IMO that's a bit optimistic.

13. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    Yeah, isn't that what AMD promised Piledriver to deliver? (the 10-15% performance increase figure)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    And you may very well be right. For the sake of AMD....I hope I'm low-balling it though...

I believe so...

15. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    why not just get an i7 and a z68/x79 mobo if you really want to upgrade?

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    Not everyone wants to own an Intel based system. In fact, I believe that was made clear earlier in the thread.

17. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    U can always wait for the BD revisions or the 8170. Im really looking forward to the 8170. I think AMD has enough time to improve on these so they will be better than the fist batch that was released. Im not expecting them to beat the 2600k and they stated they are not competing but if they can get a 10 to 15% or more performance over the 1090/1190T id say its a win.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I hope they do, because as far as I know I thought the big difference that was in the 8170 was the higher multiplier and higher base clock.

19. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Well, i took the plunge and got myself a 8120 and i'm really happy with it so far.
    I'm currently running 4.5ghz (24/7 clock) with next to no extra volts. Gonna push higher later.

The CPU is definitely better than my 1055T. Games have a higher min fps which makes gameplay feel a lot smoother.

20. fxv300

fxv300 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5770
    Just bought the same Mobo as you ...not set it up yet. Setting up with an AMD 1100T for now, may go to FX8150 later on maybe.
    Did you have to update the BIOS for the FX to work ?
    Any bad experiences with the Sabertooth 990FX ?

Frank