FX-57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800+ for SLI 7800 GTX?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by kh0rn3, Jul 6, 2005.

1. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

FX-57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800+ for SLI 7800 GTX? I have searched and have seen no comparisons.

2. Terminator1000

Terminator1000 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7970 - 3096MB
    I would take the FX-57, for the simple fact that its better right now, and going to be better for games for the near future. You gonna be spending alot of money, and if its going to be a gaming machine, you must as well enjoy it now, and worry about dual cores in the future when they actually are being utilized, by not just 1 or 2 games that may come out, but alot of games.

Also you are going SLI, which means games. So unless you like to run 10 programs while running a game, FX-57 will do great.

Ive got a FX-55 myself, and extremely proud of it. Its not worth it to me to go for a 57, and for sure not yet for a dual core processor.

3. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

*sinks in the lava with a "thumbs up"*

4. scarface1983

scarface1983 Guest

well i got the dual core, its great but the fx-57 is better for gaming for now, not by much tho.....but if dual core is taken advantage of, nothing can compare.....

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yeah, an FX-57 is better for gaming that the 4800+, but even an FX-55 is better in most gaming situations, and to be honest, the FX-57 is WAY overpriced for the small performance increase over the 55. Grab a San diego core FX-55 and overclock it would be my advice.

6. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

Are any games confirmed to use the dual core in the future like UT7k or Quake 4?

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yeah, Unreal 3 engine will be optimised to use dual core CPU's, so any game based on that will... so quite a few... but remember, its unikely we will see any unreal 3 engine games for at least another year... and I havnt heard of any other engines utilising dual core yet.

8. nyy22k4ws

nyy22k4ws Banned

GPU:
    2 8800GT 512mb SLI
    wait to buy a dual core when they produce the .65 micron chips and they will be cheaper. i would go with the fx-57 now ;)

9. no_1_dave

no_1_dave Master Guru

GPU:
    Go for the x2.
    With 7800 GTX cards you there wont be a NOTICABLE difference either way. The X2 theough can handle 2 things at once so will speed up a lot of other things you may wanna do...

10. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

Hmmm, would duel core help an SLI config over an FX? I know that SLI 7800 gtx rapes any processor and sits around bored since it can process much more.

11. togglemuch

togglemuch Member Guru

GPU:
    Sappire ATI HD 4890
    i would go for the x2 simply because the gaming performance isnt noticeable, also i like to render movies / do stuff while im plyaing games..my 3000+ can handle it but not great :p if you wanna do stuff like virus scanning when you're on the computer but also wanna play some games..get the x2

if all you wanna do is play games and do 1 thing at a time, go for the 57..or san diego 55

12. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 16GB
    The only applications that benefit from dual core tech is applications written to take advantage of it, No game out yet does that so there is no point of the x2 (the same way that applications have to be written with smt to take advantage of intels ht technology) . However seeing as though they perform virtually identical and the prices are similar you may as well go for the x2 for future use.

13. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Keep in mind that just because games come out that support multiple cores does not mean it will improve performance much... still may be a smallish boost. Keep in mind that dual-core for desktop has more to do with the necessity of releasing new models than the technology being needed in itself. If you think you'll do anything else that you know would favor the X2 then I'd say get that, otherwise the FX.

14. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    I have heard rumors that nVidia will make their drivers to take advantage from HTT or DualCore....

15. kh0rn3

kh0rn3 Member

Oh Shi....

Seriously? And where did you hear this? Is it reliable information?

16. Buenamos

Buenamos Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570
    http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/8459

That's the exact reason why I chose the X2 over the FX-55.

17. rebelflag

rebelflag Active Member

GPU:
    2X XFX GTX 260 Black Ed
    I do know that the new version of Falcon 4.0 that was just released (can't remember the exact title) was written to support the dual core processors. I am currently looking into the same thing trying to decide on a new chip. Anyone have any suggestions on mobos? Also am I correct in assuming (hate to do it) that any of the socket 939 mobos will work with the dual core chips (as long as they support the clock freq?)

18. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    go with the FX-57, it will be another year untill you see any real reason to go with duel core, and since the FX-57 is even on your list, i suppose you have money and can afford to upgrade in the future - if im wrong go with the x2

19. -=[jer0]=-

-=[jer0]=- New Member

GPU:
    ati x850 XT PE 630/630
    Dual core is the way to go. I game a lot, but honestly, ive had an fx chip. Great chips they are, but if your not on watercooling or better, id go with a dual core. The main reason get a fx is to overclock it. Thats what your paying for. The 4800+ has been known to clock to 2.8 and 3.0, anand has his at 2.8 on air, so there is basically 2 fx-57 cores on one chip, and with the price being the same, go for the dual core.

Anytime you unrar or unzip, surf the web while ripping a cd or a dvd, youll thank me, and yourself, for making this choice.

Besides, Nvidia and ATI are making multithreaded graphics drivers, and multithreaded games have been around for awhile and with the new cores coming out, they are here to stay.

There wont be another big cpu made until 06, and then you can see your dual core for a REAL legit dual FX core, the REAL cpu to get.

For now, get the 4800+, its a sounder choice than a fx-57.

20. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Well, a FX will likely clock still higher. Though I will admit the X2 4800+ is a lot more processor for your $1000. However, I would say one should not buy a 4800+ unless one would be happy with the gaming performance of a 4000+ instead of FX-57 for the same money, because that's all you're *guaranteed* to get out of a 4800+ as things stand now. Here the FX-57 has maybe +10% over the 4000+:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050627/athlon_fx57-06.html#directx_9

Now SLI dual-core optimization may change the equation, and at the very least I'd say there's a good chance of at least closing the gap within the next year or so. Dual-core will offer an immediate boost with multitasking and may well even become the top gaming performer sometime within the next year or two. So I guess I'll change my vote on that one to X2.