fx 55 seems slow

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by dawnyworld, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davy1shoe

Davy1shoe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGATitanXsuper clockedX2
    Ive given up overclocking got the blue screen of death in game tonight

2. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb / SLI
    That might be best.

M

3. Wesley

Wesley Member

GPU:
    2x E-VGA Geforce 7800GTX
    Davy1shoe, I am with you too, I posted a while back, it was an unhelpful reply just to give you a basis of what others were getting on their 55's too, so i decided to give my 55 a bit more juice, and i find this proc to be very unsympathetic, lock ups, BSOD, even at 2650mhz on the proc and my games quit, had to loosen timings up all the way on the ballistix, never been so unhappy with a proc in my life, can barely OC my vid card without getting corruption. Sounds odd but for two whole days i wasted hours trying everything, now back to the only ways it works stock everything ram could be tighten up a bit i think but who cares anymore, not like its a temp issue 29'C idle and 41'C Full (guild wars).

My apologies on my venting:( Maybe i should have waited for dual core.:mad:

4. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the FX55 130nm, while the other s939 procs are 90nm? Would that have something to do with it? Not to mention it's a clawhammer so it's not great for OCing.

5. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    sorry guys, but blaming the cpu is PLAIN STUPID.

in cases of bad performance it's 98%:

bad chipset
    slow memory timings & frequency
    bad drivers.

because you guys are a bit newbie in this game you love to find a scapegoat, but running a system successful is always about eliminating bottlenecks, and as you know the FX-55 is a ferrari. but put it in the heavy downtown New York City traffic and you can't do 20mph.
    are you gonna blame the car then? no because you're being stupid.
    well in this case it's not the cpu, butwith almost 100% the factors I gave above.

if you wanna fix this do this:

-send us some screenshots of CPU-z (www.cpuid.com) so we can verify if you have a bottleneck in the system.

-send us a screenshot from taskmanager's performance tab, and if possible run the benchmark proggie while it's open and send us the screenshot of the cpu/memory loads.

-everest home has a summary tab of all the used drivers & settings different drivers can have a considerable impact on the scores, also the settings used (like vsync)

wellultimately, you can swap the cpu, and see for yourself if a 3000+ gives better performance @stock than the FX-55, and if that's the case, you're not being a total idiot and you've proved the FX-55 chip you had was defect, (because a normal functioning FX-55 would beat the hell outta the 3000+)

hope you guys became smart enough to actually look for the problemelse where and stop blaming the obviously wrong part like a bunch of old nagging ladies ;)

good luck

6. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    Wesley and davy1 shoe guys

1st Wesley the neo2 is a good board but it needs some loving m8 it can be a wonder or a night mare have you been to the msi forums there is some real great info there on the neo 2 fixes and known probs with 55’s on them. http://forum.msi.com.tw/

Davy your prob is memory xms is a shocker on the a8n if you 2 guys could swap memory both would have great results you are in the best position the a8n and the 55 are a good combo. Stick in there just give your self some time to get your head around it you will work it out, go to the nvidia sli thread and have a read Mikemk has had a lot of ex with you set up and would lend a hand to help you set-up He's a good bloke

I hope you guys have decent psu's in there as well

Lost faith what are you smoking m8 a 3000 gives better results than a 55 and in what life time would that be! What do you base that on. The 1mb cache alone will hammer a 3000 hands down! Keep dreaming, how do I know this I have backed to backed a 3200 winny against my fx guess what the fx hammered it big time "clock for clock" even the winny @390fsb could not knock it off I really love it when you guys try to compare your little volkwagons to ferrari's.

And if you don’t have anything constructive to offer these guys who are obviously newbe's and need a little help and are a little lost shut up! :rolleyes:

7. Wesley

Wesley Member

GPU:
    2x E-VGA Geforce 7800GTX
    Thanks phrozin i appreciate the help I will take a look.

Lostfaith, thanks for the unruly reply, I enrolled in therapy cause you destroyed my self esteem, i am sure davy doesn't care for it either, I am far from a newbie when it comes to overclocking so its not very cool for you to say your this or your that when you haven't a clue, I have tried many things with this mobo, ram timings from tight to loose to ample volts works great until the the cpu fsb or multiplier or HT is touched, just problems, I have never had an issue overclocking with my old equpiment, so this just tends to be frustrating for me, the only thing i can pin point it to be is the processor and when you read a billion reviews saying it not that overclockable it just a little discouraging, but i won't give up.

Again thanks phrozin for the defense and the advice.

I almost forgot phrozin you mentioned PSU I have an OCZ modstream 450W installed right now, on the shelf i also have a x-connect 500W and an Antec true power 480W, the modstream is really stable volts. Have you heard otherwise, I know the x-connect is garbage, the antec is pretty rippin though you think i should give it a shot?

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  8. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    quoted and look at this again:

phrozin, hold your horses and go back to primary and learn to READ first.

I've seen a few ppl getting bad chips with defect cache, memory controller etc(on HA there was a guy), but as I said 98% it's something else, the (100-98=) 2% makes up for ACTUALLY GETTING A BAD CHIP (be it a FX-55 or P4EE etc. get it?) and that's why I said ULTIMATELY (=if there's no solution left and the ferrari is suspected of having a vw 0.6L 1955 beetle's engine) you can see if the chip is the problem by comparing the system's performance with a different chip in it to see if performance does scale up to what it should be for that PARTICULAR chip.

that you didn't get this phrozin is very remarkable... seems you're not as intelligent as I thought... let's see if you can shell out an apology for your misunderstanding and insulting me on this with your "smoking" comment.:D

and wesley, I said that blaming just the cpu for bad performance is a thing that's quite illogical if you only even take time to think about it. a computer is a whole of lots of performing parts, and if it performs bad you can't just point a finger to the core and say it's a bad core. motherboard, chipset, memory, gfxcard, harddisk even psu can hamper performance right? that's why I ranted like that:

"fx 55 seems slow"

that's a stupid statement, IMO it should read:

"my system seems slow"

and overclockable is something you should know is based on luck. and when ppl last year we're only at 2.4 on the newcastles and clawhammers when the fx-55 was launched ppl we're glad with the 32.6GHz, but now when they see a venice or sandiego user getting 2.8 they want their fx-55 chips also at that... of course it's something you can't expect with older tech/process... DOH, so that part of overclocking is not something you should "expect" from a chip, but you should consider any overclock a "bonus" on your purchase...

so I still think your being a bit arrogant here...

" I have tried many things with this mobo, ram timings from tight to loose to ample volts works great until the the cpu fsb or multiplier or HT is touched, just problems, I have never had an issue overclocking with my old equpiment, so this just tends to be frustrating for me, the only thing i can pin point it to be is the processor "

:rolleyes:

anyway, awaiting phrozin's apologies for misunderstanding on his part :p

9. Wesley

Wesley Member

GPU:
    2x E-VGA Geforce 7800GTX
    I fail to see the arrogance but hey thats fine, your not from my country and in different areas of the world things are taken different.

Phrozin i was reading lots about the chip and mobo at msi forums and seems like quite a few folks have OC issues, such as taking it past 2.7ghz with failing, anyhow thanks for the link again.

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Let's the lower tone in here a bit shall we?

Lostfaith why are you always at the centre of every arguement in the hardware sections? I think it is to do with the little asides you always put in your posts that get peoples backs up.

But anyhow, if you want to continue discussing in this thread, kindly stop bitchin' at each other.

11. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    just with that conclusion you took it's still not smart to point the cpu as culprit.
    Oh FYI, and that's not only in a certain country but in the whole enthusiast community.

it's most likely a combination of drivers, chipset you're running, and even memory and/or gfxcard.
    so fast to blame the cpu....

tsk tsk tsk :rolleyes:

I still wish you good luck with your setup, and those fixes I posted above will help identify the real bottleneck if you're not too arrogant to try them out :D

;)

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yep, like I was saying, it's the cocky comments.

Please turn back a page and read my post.

Otherwise this is closed.

13. dawnyworld

dawnyworld Member

GPU:
    asus matrix 290X +290xdc2
    maybe we could start a new post for all the bitching and leave this for the people who want to help

14. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    how did it go so wrong. you raise them , send them to school. show love and compassion... and this is what we get in return.

ps. Im still goin strong with my fx 55. lovin it

M

15. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    How could you not? What a great processor. I have the 2.47ghz version of the FX-55. ;)

16. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    *nanner nanner nanner !!

M

17. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Huh?

LOL!