FW 177.92 with Physx v8.08.18 @ nvidia.com

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Weesni, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
  2. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    The increase happened between the 175.19 drivers and the 177.83 drivers, at least for me. When nVidia said the speed increased, the proof they gave compared the 177.92 drivers and the 175.19 drivers. Since the speed increased from 175.19 to 177.83, you can't just turn around and say all the speed increase happened because the image quality dropped between the 177.83 drivers and the 177.92 drivers. (Especially given that a lot of people are NOT seeing the quality drop.)

I'm calling the 177.83 drivers "special" because that comparison seems to ignore them and, more importantly, they still can't be found on the nVidia drivers page. You have to go to their special Force Within page to get them. That's not a normal kind of release.

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Working fine with Jericho and Timeshift and my other games as well, using with Nvidia Tray tools, these drivers are a keeper too. :)

4. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I have a 7800 gs 256 agp and downloaded the new drivers. I uninstalled my latest drivers(175.16) and rebooted. After reboot cleaned drivers with driver sweeper. Installed new driver then rebooted. The drivers were not being installed. Rebooted several more times but still no drivers according to the device manager. So I went ahead and tried installing again, that did the trick. I am not sure what happened but if anyone has a problem installing the driver, just try reinstalling again. I have never had to do this but I also don't use betas often.
    Other then the install being "different", the driver so far have been the best drivers released so far. CoD4 plays a little better. I did get a boost in frames. I use to get a minimum of 30 or below at times, now my minimum is around 40. Have yet to see it dip below 30 like it use to. The writing/letters in CoD4 appear to much clearer. Meaning they stand out better. Was not like that before. I would say IQ is better due to the writing but I don't really use AA as my system is getting old and does not like AA awhole lot. I'd rather have the frames right now untill I upgrade my system.
    I have also noticed that for the first time that I got my new Samsung LCD monitor that I am finally able to use it's native resolution(1920x1200). With any other driver, it was not possible. Whenever I tried using 1920x1200 res, I would get lines on my screen. Not just in-games but just by going to websites. Now, that no longer happens. Also my writing on the screen has improved. The high res helps but it never looked this good before. The words would be like hard to see and sometimes like half missing letters. Again, this is no longer a problem.

I have not really looked into some of the problems some are having with the whole IQ and AA problem. I don't use AA in the driver cp if the game has the option. But since ppl are saying it's not working, I'll try to look and see if it happens to me. To me though, the IQ is better even without AA.

5. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    between the three physx drivers out so far (4 if you are a gtx2xx user) which one performs the best?

6. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    New Nvidia drivers messing with memory ???

I used to have the "/3GB switch" in my boot.ini.
    Everything did work fine with drivers till 177.41.
    With drivers above 177.41 (like 117.83, 177.92) I got crashes (windows errors). Now I deleted the "/3GB" option from the boot.ini and everythings working fine (also Mass Effect).

IMPORTANT for People, who don't hav any crashes:
    - does someone else have this switch installed ???
    - and What other options so you have (like USERVA) ???

7. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I have Windows XP SP2 and don't the 3GB in my boot.ini. What I do have is /safeboot,/noguiboot,/bootlog,/basevideo and /sos. They only thing I have checked is the /noguiboot. It's just the Windows splash screen and takes a few seconds off load up.

8. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I just Bench Crysis.

1600x1200, DX10, 64Bit, All VeryHigh.

27-8-2008 3:14:09 - Vista 64
    Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu
    DX10 1600x1200, AA=No AA, Vsync=Disabled, 64 bit test, FullScreen
    Demo Loops=3, Time Of Day= 9
    Global Game Quality: VeryHigh
    ==============================================================
    TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)
    !TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.
    Play Time: 71.02s, Average FPS: 28.16
    Min FPS: 21.02 at frame 145, Max FPS: 34.45 at frame 1776
    Average Tri/Sec: -15536226, Tri/Frame: -551657
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.66
    !TimeDemo Run 1 Finished.
    Play Time: 66.98s, Average FPS: 29.86
    Min FPS: 21.02 at frame 145, Max FPS: 35.28 at frame 997
    Average Tri/Sec: -16081559, Tri/Frame: -538568
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.70
    !TimeDemo Run 2 Finished.
    Play Time: 66.21s, Average FPS: 30.21
    Min FPS: 21.02 at frame 145, Max FPS: 35.39 at frame 1010
    Average Tri/Sec: -16218824, Tri/Frame: -536941
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.71
    TimeDemo Play Ended, (3 Runs Performed)
    ==============================================================

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

27-8-2008 3:14:09 - Vista 64

Run #1- DX10 1600x1200 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 3003,5

Min: 21
    Ave: 30
    Max: 35

I must say the work as good as Geforce 177.83 WHQL.

I will stay with Geforce 177.92 Beta for now.

I also see no problems in games.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  9. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY for PEOPLE with 4GB RAM or MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Actually, I can say performance increased to to an IQ drop. You do understand that the reason for the increase in performance is because AA/AF is broken in half those games? I force it on with these drivers in the CP and in game, and textures are blurry as hell as if it has no effect. Of course its going to run faster.....

Look, you can argue all you want but the fact is there is a problem and others are reporting it in this same thread. Im glad they are working out for you, but for some of us they are not.

Bioshick with not recognize AF either....I go back to 177.83 all is fine. So thus my reply is what it is, there is no changing this unless a new driver is put out that fixes the problem. Yes I used driver cleaner also. I always use it.

I rarely ever have a problem with a driver, and this time I do. Since I know im not the only one I just reverted.

Look Nvidia can say what they want about driver to driver comparisons, but from my experience with every new set they have put out, I know for a fact those percentages are masking a problem with the driver. I checked profiles also, and COD4 is set to my global config so there is no mistake there. Bishock as well. Drivers before 177.83 worked just the same for me no dif.

This isnt about Speed dif between drivers, its about masking a problem to pull off saying there is one.

11. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    After reading all the posts and replies, thank you everyone, i am going to pass on these (which i Rarely EVER pass on a new driver set)... Im currently on the 177.83's, and aside from my desktop blurriness which is odd, but is gone as soon as im out of a game, everything works..

With the install problems, the AA/AF and IQ issues being reported, i will pass and hope for a better set in 2 weeks.

12. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'm going back to the 177.89's cause this set had Crysis go all to hell.... and we can't have that now can we.

13. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    crysis driver comparison benchmark on my rig.

Athlon X2 5000+ (2.8GHz), 2GB DDR2 667, 8800GTX (621/1516/2000)

vista 32bit / DX10 / 1920x1200 / custom (high/very high) settings with HDR , shader, and shadow tweaks... plus a time of day mod.

Play Time: 85.15s, Average FPS: 23.49
    Min FPS: 15.54 at frame 1913, Max FPS: 31.97 at frame 979
    Average Tri/Sec: -21393122, Tri/Frame: -910858
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.01

Play Time: 77.19s, Average FPS: 25.91
    Min FPS: 17.18 at frame 1925, Max FPS: 36.12 at frame 997
    Average Tri/Sec: -23587798, Tri/Frame: -910392
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -1.01

thats a 10% increase o_O

ill try a few other games, but so far im liking these drivers.

14. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    There is a problem with the new 177.92 betas. AA is broken. I tested CoD4 and cranked the AA to 8x in the driver cp and no difference in-game. When I turned the in-game aa to 4x you could clearly see AA got rid of alot of the jagged lines.
    I still like the 177.92's as the did fix some isssues, especially allowing me to run at my monitors native res. IQ is probably better because of the broken AA and i'm sure these will bench faster due to the broken aa. This is now the second straight time nVidia have released a driver for the 6 series of cards and higher that has had broken aa. You'd think they would have better testing capabilities but hey, when you got a bunch of people who love playing games and that you DON'T have to pay well then let them do it. I like nVidia but if I was them, now is not the time for them to be screwing things up time after time. Especially, when it seems to be the same mistake. But hey, these are beta drivers so I guess you could expect these things, just as long as this does not happen when they go WHQL.

15. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    AA works in the games ive played (minus crysis, of f**king course)

16. gtg01

gtg01 Guest

AA works in the games ive played (minus Bioshock in DX10)

17. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Well it's a fact that it is not working with everyone or all games so that would suggest a problem. I play CoD4 most so that is what I tested with.
    It may work for some and not for others or it may work some games and not for others. Either way, aa would still be considered broken as it is suppose to work for everyone and all games(for the most part).

18. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Testet this driver h2h vs. 177.83 in COD4, and not only does AA work fine, so does AF. IQ is exactly the same down to the last detail, and so is performance. If this driver failes to apply AA/AF on different setups then mine, so be it, but on my setup they work just as good as previous drivers.

Will keep these untill something new comes along...

19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Just installed those new drivers over the 177.83's and I noticed very small improvements in some games specifically such as Source-based games (Counter-Strike: Source's video stress test got a 2FPS increase after three consecutive runs, compared to the last time I did the same thing with the previous drivers, and Lost Coast got 3 extra FPS). All is stable, nothing went wrong, I could set my Digital Vibrancy setting and could set my custom resolutions and refresh rates as well in the control panel, so they are keepers for me.

EDIT: Hey guys, anyone using Vista 64-Bit? Because I cannot find the PhysX's control panel. Anyone know where that thing is supposed to be? I looked at my installed programs and it is listed, so it was installed properly but where is the control panel located? I've looked at my OS's control panel but it's not there. I remember back in Windows XP that the PhysX's CP was there.

20. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    On my GTX280 I have never been able to force any AA/AF levels thru driver/CP on any driver I have tested so far in COD4, so these are exactly the same as 177.83 on my setup.....