FutureMark shows first footage 3DMark DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With DirectX 12 available on Windows 10 it's just a matter of time before everybody jump onto it. Not just the hardware and games, the test software's will adapt as well. Futuremark has been hard at wo...

FutureMark shows first footage 3DMark DirectX 12

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    About time :D

Hope it uses all features that DX12 brings so far.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering I see Nvidia's logo on top of the shots, I reckon it features the absolute minimum amounts of async compute. Nvidia probably paid them millions to code their tests like that, to make it worth it. So, until the next generation of Nvidia GPUs that should have the flaw fixed, I reckon it tests only some of the features.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Finally something to play ... soon.

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Will this be a whole new 3DMark? Or will this test be added to the current 3DMark?

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Async Compute is only one aspect, there's more to DX12 like Conservative Rasterization, Rasterizer Ordered Views, Volume Tiled Resources and so forth.
    Also the Async story is old, latest drivers now puts Maxwell on par on Ashes of the Singularity.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/48021...s-singularity-dx12-test-new-driver/index.html

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Async compute isn't a DX12 feature.

8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Probably.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's a GOC sponsored event by Nvidia, the logo does not fall into the projection yet is embedded on the casing - it has nothing to do with 3DMark.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    3DMark 11 test 3/4 in a box. Cute. :)

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow, a single little nvidia logo and the conspiracy is coming up. Nobody mentioned the 'Galax' writing there? It was even bigger. Probably they will make the benchmark run better on Galax cards (with reading out the bios vendor ID). :wanker:

I wonder if running future mark or any other benchmark program for dx12 will show so much understatement of the topic... as dx12 offers more possibilities, it will load those possibilities onto the devs... and they will most likely not be as thourough to use all the modern GPU's capabilities in all games.
    As we might see many games that aren't even remotely as optimized as this futuremark, will it make sense to chose GPUs / systems after such benchmarks in the dx12 era? Performance can and will differ noticable from in game performance.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ha It took me over a year to get on vista for 3dvantage highly doubt I will be running to w10 when this comes out

13. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    If you're running Vista and interested in gaming why wouldn't you upgrade to Windows 10 while it's free? DX12 won't ever be back ported, so in the medium to long term you'll find more and more games you can't play.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You misunderstood what he said. He's saying he didn't upgrade to Vista until a year after it's release.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While I see some unnecessary fighting here,I hope that at least this benchmark shows benefits of DX12.
    Because till now we really did not see anything impressive. DX12 in AoS helps, but considering what's actually on screen, game performs poorly.
    DX12 in UE4 shows no practical benefit over DX11. That's reason why ARK: SE still sits on DX11.

16. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    "somewhere in 2016" i'm certain it will be here when arctic islands and pascall comes out .

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Which games show DX12 with UE4 has no benefits?
    I thought ARK doesn't have support yet due to technical issues.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it's a programming technique that will only really appear in dx12 games then it would be all the same to call it a part of dx12 even if it's not specifically mentioned in the standard. I don't know if it has been such a big topic only because Nvidia failed with it or if it's really worth the hype, though. I sure hope it is as extra compute could make games more interesting.

That's good to know. I was quite dispirited when I saw what I interpreted as a popular benchmark tool being sponsored by a single GPU manufacturer. I stand corrected then. I shouldn't have been so eager to judge them. Especially since my every other GPU is from Nvidia (or AMD, however it should be viewed).

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    But it's not a DX12 feature. It appears in PS4 games, Mantle games, and there's no doubt Vulkan will be able to take advantage of it.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Does it even matter? There are two benchmarks out that utilize Async compute in a real world games. Ashes of Singularity and Fable Legends. In AoS Nvidia's 980Ti ties the Fury X @ 4K in Heavy Compute (Which literally no real game will ever do) and in Fable Legends the 980Ti finishes the compute portion of the test at nearly half the latency of the Fury X.

Nvidia doesn't need to pay millions to drop Async support because the Ti is just as good if not better than the Fury X at normal levels of compute. The only time the Fury X is going to benefit is during extreme compute levels, levels that AoS literally rending thousands of units on the screen computing light for every unit couldn't hit.

Epic released a few of the original playthrough things like the Elemental demo in DX12, there was no noticable difference in performance. That being said, Epic hasn't fully implemented DX12 into the engine.

UE4.11 will be interesting because the entire build is geared towards renderer optimizations. It should bring a bunch of improvements to performance in UE titles. Epic recently announced that UT4 will be seeing a DX12 build soon, along with Fortnite. Should be interesting to see what Epic can do with it in their own games.