Future watercooling solution....

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by AbstruseB, Jan 10, 2008.

1. AbstruseB

AbstruseB Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gt 512mb, 710/1700/1980
    Hi, i'm currently satisfied with my own rig, but once you have power, you have to have more, lol.

But anyway, I was hoping on starting on a future project with a completely custom water cooling solution, and was wondering what would be must have resources if I were to go this route... I LOVE guru3d, but I was just looking to find more information regarding watercooling solutions.

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You need

Radiators. (or one big one) depending on the size of the loop
    Piping most liky with fans.
    A pump, you want a pump that can produce a good amount of water per hour.
    CPU waterblock, VGA waterblock....And if you want, NB and SB waterblocks.
    Resivour, Big enough to hold the loop and extra.
    Connectors, For the piping.
    Coolant (or "water" but dont use water :p)

Might have missed some stuff.

3. AbstruseB

AbstruseB Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gt 512mb, 710/1700/1980
    Ah sweet, I get the jist of it... But any websites/forums that might have more detail on the parts? Just curious xP

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580

5. Desyphix

Desyphix Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS @ 612/1512/1920
  6. crazyboy81

crazyboy81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7870 GHZ
    'm new to watercooling and for my new build I decided on a car heatercore for a radiator, an aquarium pump running atleast 350GPH and 1/2" ID tubing, possibly a second PSU just for watercooling in a full tower server case. It's the PSI that worries me for the pumps, I'm using the max overhead as a factor in that.

7. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saph 290 Trix OC.
    where do you live for a start, that way we can do you up a shopping list .

the size of your case , are you gonna cool your gfx card and how much you want to spend are all factors you will have to consider.

the basics are ,

radiator ,
    pump ,
    waterblock (s) ,
    hose ,
    t line / resevoir (your choice , i prefare t line as its cheeper and performs better ,
    hose clamps ,
    fluid .

there are lots of options to choose from but its up to needs and budget .

tbh with the case you currently have you are limited by size internally. you will be better off mounting your rad outside the case and this is not suitable for a lot of ppl as it normally requires modding the case.

you could probably get a pa120-1 internally onto the back of you case and it will give you fairly good cooling for your cpu as its a G0 chip.

please post your country ,budget and most important ''what you want to cool''.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  8. Reality|Bites

Reality|Bites Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI Asus/eVGA 8800Ultra/B
  9. crazyboy81

crazyboy81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7870 GHZ
    would a 12v 260GPH at 50PSI water pump with 35ft. max overhead be sufficient??

10. Reality|Bites

GPU:
    ask on the forum I linked you to.

11. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saph 290 Trix OC.
    yes that would be a great choice in theory.

what is the exact model pump ?.

in practice a pump with those specs will probably be pumping a lot of heat into the loop and giving your rads a lot more cooling to deal with.

12. crazyboy81

crazyboy81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7870 GHZ
    it's a marine utility pump, I've found other sources for pumps e.g. utility pumps, windshield washer pumps, RV pumps, all small enough to fit into a case.

13. Reality|Bites

GPU:
  14. crazyboy81

crazyboy81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7870 GHZ
    because you pay a premium for those "specified" pumps, others are less or the same but with better specs. Sure, use a low flow pump but with bigger tubing you'd want more power, I'd say.

15. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    Your best bet for pumps are those used for Aquarium use, like the Hydor and Eheim pumps. Basically they have been adopted for CPU watercooling use by enthusiasts. Some pumps out there are just renamed pumps made for aquarium use and prices marked up but for the most part you get what you pay for.

I would not suggest the use of a Automotive washer pump as they are very noisy, not designed for constant use and flow rather poorly.

There are many factors that contribute to a well performing water cooled system. I would suggest a few quick searches around the net for some basic water cooling guides and read a lot of info before settling on gear not designed for a small simple purpose.

16. ian99rt

ian99rt Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1950 PRO
    Are these submergable aquarium pumps? I'm thinking about building a very similar quad core system and thinking about water cooling..... If I do I'd like to use a submerged pump and put it in a fairly large custom made reservoir in my case.

17. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Wow, submersible? A watertank inside your own computer? You're braver than you look...:)

18. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I had a submergible hydor, submerging is no problem but some of the heat that would go into the air ends up in the water instead... I can't speak for all pumps on the market but the hydors/enhiems aren't as good as the dc pumps usually used with watercooling.

19. ian99rt

ian99rt Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1950 PRO
    well from an engineer's stand point if you have a large enough reservoir of water (i'm talking .5 gallon) you could easily have no radiator in the system. A buddy of mine 2 years ago had a college level senior design project which they submerged a pump in a reservoir made of extruded aluminum heat sinks.

The CPU and GPU were both TEC Peltier & watercooled. Under very very high CPU loads running Finite Element Analysis Solvers, the cpu never saw over 10 degrees C. Thats with no radiator, or fans in the entire thing....The whole system cost them like $150 to throw together....

If I were to place the reservoir outside the case, does anyone sell just the leak free quick disconnect water connectors?

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Right, well... first of all, a good place to start is by reading some of these threads:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119699

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75873

Heres a good one on pumps:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41495

Also gurus thread here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=214104

What components you choose for your loop, very much depend what you want to do with it and what components you have, so read around very carefully.

Specifically to the pump discussion, I have used eheim pumps (a 1250 in fact), and they do a reasonable job but they are rather large, and can be noisy too.

I currently using a pair of DDC Ultra's, with modded petra tops, which while more pricey generally provide better flow rate and are considerably smaller and quieter -

[​IMG]

If you want to use 1/2" ID tubing (which I would strongly recommend) then you will want a high flow pump.

For the rads, It will depend on 2 things - how much space you have in your PC (or if you are prepared to mount externally) and how many components you are wanting to cool in the loop.

Generally, the thermochill PA series (either the 120.2 or 120.3) perform the best with relatively low CFM fans, meaning you can keep your pc pretty quiet as well if thats your bag.

Again, with blocks, it will depend on what you want from your system. If you have a dual core CPU to cool, something like a Swiftech storm or even a apogee will do quiet nicely, but from my experience with quad cores you cant really beat a D-tek fusion.

With GPU blocks, do you want a full cover (eg an EK FC8800) - looks v.nice, performs reasonable well, and watercools ram/vrms as well as the GPU itself - however they add restriction to the loop which can kill flow rate. They also can only be used on the card they are bought for - meaning when you upgrade your GPU, u have to change your block.

Or you can grab something like a swiftech MCW60 - easy to mount, slightly better performance, depending on your loop, and transferable between different graphics cards. However it ONLY cools the GPU, meaning u have to fiddle around with heatsinks for cooling memory/vrms (which on an 8800GTX can be a pain in itself for example).

Hopefully u get the impression that alot of it is down to reading around, and understanding the different options and then deciding what is right for YOUR PC. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008