Future of Apple without Jobs

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BigBlockTowncar, Oct 6, 2011.

1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Funny timing that he died just now.

For a while now, android has been making headway.

Recently, phones like the galaxy 2s have out-hyped the iphone.

And the iphone 4s got a 'meh' response when it was showed off.

Basically, the uniqueness that the iphone (apple's cash cow) had when it first came out has been steadily eroding.
    It's reached the point where incremental tweaks fail to impress.
    Apple needs a game changer to stay relavent - like the transparent glass phone designs.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_...-iPhone-4-glass-Inspix-Weekly-Inspiration.jpg
    http://www.carbodydesign.com/media/2011/04/Aston-Martin-Mobiado-CPT002-Concept-Phone-2-355x337.jpg
    http://www.never2funky.com/urbanalex/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/window2.jpg

Today, right now, 2011/10/X, we are already at the inflection point for the iphone's appeal.
    The current incarnation is old news. People are too accustomed to them.

I can't imagine what the iphone 5 can do to get/stay ahead of the field this time, short of a totally new approach.
    I suspect that if the iphone 5 does what the iphone 4s did (updated existing look, people yawned), then apple's phone business will start hurting.
    Which is easy to do when you're at the top - the only direction you have to go, is down.

And it will be blamed on Jobs' death - which is entirely unrelated, but since it happened right now, right when apple's phones are becoming boring, people will inevitably associate the two.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Agreed, plus with things like the prime coming out, apple was really behind the ball with the iPhone 4s. I think they now have the smallest screen for a high end smart phone. I don't think that's a good thing since screen real estate is good.

3. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Greedy, greedier, greediest, apple.
    It can't get any more apple.

4. nsbarker

nsbarker New Member

GPU:
    GeForce
    Not often does one man define a billion dollar international company. Time will tell if his demise will be apples.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Sticking the Iphone in a glass see through case is a game changer... that really is Apple thinking!

6. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Yep :)

-scheherazade

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I can only hope so. HE lived his life trying to help people, if his death could take down his own company, he'd be helping us all out one more time.

Then a real competitor for Microsoft could come out. Apple is a joke, competition wise.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    apparently the iphone 4s is selling well...

9. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I would expect as much.
    It's a status symbol more than a phone.
    Like most status symbols, people only want the latest version.
    The older iphone people [if they're sticking with an iphone] are gonna upgrade asap.

There's more iphone users than any other phone, so there's gonna be a lot of up sells happening with the new version coming out.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  10. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Steve formed a team of co-workers who probably learned his way of thinking otherwise Apple wouldn't be that successful! So i think Apple will get more and more consumers.. They do make environmentally friendly products unlike others and that's important for our future.

Everyone is bitching about how slow and expensive hybrids are but they meant to get you from a point to b point with less pollution.

Same goes for Apple they do make expensive computesr but they make those out of aluminum and not out of some recycled toxic plastic

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Apple is one of the worst polluting companies out there, what are you talking about?

12. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    well i did not do any research maybe you right but i thought they are. But still they trying or maybe it's just marketing

The last two iphones were made out of aluminum and glass. I remember how Steve introduced the new frame for the macbook made out aluminum.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/environment.htm

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB