fury x to vega 64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by G13Homi, Jun 5, 2018.

1. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Vega 64 can be found in the us for 550 brand new

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-RX-Vega-...e=UTF8&qid=1528155219&sr=1-4&keywords=vega+64

Is it worth the upgrade with prices finally easing a bit?
    i do have to plan on a waterblock for it ( another $150 usd) please keep that in mind.
    and i plan on keeping the ole' i7 chugging along for at least a year or two.
    with games like far cry 5 and the upcoming BFV i want better 4k perf, and i still wont pay 900 usd for a 1080ti

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Don't forget about Freesync :D and You're ready to rock....

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
  4. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ah yes, i am currently loving ,my beautiful freesync monitor.
    LG 32UD59-B 32-Inch 4K

@metagamer im a red team guy, have been since my lovely 5850 crossfire setup in BFBC2, in the long run i believe the vega 64 will be just as satisfying to me as my fury x has been. But i just love the performance i still achieve with my bone stock fury x(s) and ,maybe the prices will continue to fall?
    i see used vega 64 with ek waterblocks all over ebay, maybe i can snag one of those even cheaper? keep your fingers crossed o_O

5. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    I'm sorry to break it to you but, since you did get my hopes up for a vega 64 at 540...You linked to a Vega 56 for $540 and not a very good one at that. I have this freesync monitor and would love to find a cheap Vega card. If I do come across one, I will post it here for you.

Here is the card you linked for even cheaper https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263
    Here is a far better Vega 56 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131733

G13Homi likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You can get Red Devil 64 @ 609 & Gigabyte @ 598€ , you need to find it.
    They are already at sell in EU, but 56 is @ 509€
    Those are MSRP prices BTW :cool:

I have good deal for Sapphire 64 LC ~730€

-> https://geizhals.eu/?fs=rx+vega&in=

7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I would hold off for a short while. Hopefully AMD will release details of a 12nm Vega refresh soon.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's more of a 30 FPS performer in 4k since the GPU retains similar bottlenecks from the start of GCN with how these cores are set up, ROP's and bottlenecking hampering performance even if the GPU is almost 50% or above in clock speeds compared to the Fury though actual gains are closer to 20 - 30% and that's under ideal conditions with a few exceptions. (Wolfenstein New Colossus and Far Cry 5 utilizing features in Vega for example.)

The main bottleneck removal between these two are memory with going from 4 GB to 8 GB or 16 GB if it's a Pro GPU but these behave a bit differently in how you update the driver first and switching between modes. :)
    (I'm at 2560x1440 and it made a really big difference for games pushing 5 - 7 GB VRAM usage though others like Shadow of War with the texture pack or Final Fantasy 15 will push up to 12 GB or higher so that's still a problem though it can be fine tuned such as for FF15 one can lower the cache value down while still keeping a somewhat fast stream-in for texture data.)

Much like Fury and it's display screen corruption problem Vega or at least Vega 64 can also suffer from some quirks but it can be worked around.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8nnuya/psa_vega_black_screen_crashes/
    https://community.amd.com/thread/223844

Vega 56 and 64 both also undervolt very nicely which can help reduce power draw by a lot while retaining or having a very minimal impact on overall framerate though this will vary for each GPU but Vega 64 is pretty flexible and they also have the better Samsung HBM2 memory modules.
    (Tried finding a guide I had seen earlier for this but it's possible to get the GPU core down by around 100 - 150mv and see a fairly good overall reduction in total power draw plus it lowers temps and can helps stabilize clock speeds a bit.)

Price will be the deciding factor, if it has to be AMD then Vega is a good upgrade but not a huge one coming from Fury though it removes some bottenecks and has some additional improvements and new features but a 1070Ti or 1080 will usually perform close to the same or better and the 1080Ti is overall just faster but Vega might no longer be as badly over priced as it used to where the 1080Ti could be cheaper which made it the clear choice for performance.

EDIT: Benchmarks for most current games should show where the V56 and V64 lands at, both are pretty close to one another but the 64 can squeeze out another 10 - 15% or so if it's not held back by drivers or it's hardware too much. :)
    (And for NVIDIA the 1070Ti and 1080 are close or a bit faster depending on which game it is with the 1080Ti pulling ahead because it's just that fast.)

-Tj- likes this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    20h ;) Let's hope for some Refreshed Vegas...

Maddness likes this.
  10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep. Not long now hopefully.

OnnA likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No reason to upgrade from Fury Xs today. We are too close to new GPUs.

OnnA likes this.
  12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Its like...had fury, not x. In my fav game aapg it had like 150 to 90fps, average like 120, which was fine for my bbr monitor running 120hz. Got vega64(now in sons PC), same settings and fps went to 120-220max. Average 130 maybe 140. 1080 on other hand is like 200 average. Hitting 250+,some maps 300+...
    Vermintide 2 short check b4 sold was around 90fps average while 1080 see 130+.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While I like Vermintide 2, I would not use it ever as comparison. It has more than enough nVidia's tech inside.

14. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi-gpu-roadmap-cost-zen/

• Vega 7nm will not be coming to gamers.
    • Navi 10 will be the first Navi part to arrive and will be landing sometime in 2H 2019 or early 2020, depending on a couple of factors. The performance level of this part will be equivalent to Vega and it will be a small GPU based on 7nm.
    • Navi 14 will follow Navi 10 soon after.
    • Navi 20 is going to be the true high-end GPU built on the 7nm node and as things stand right now, you are tentatively looking at it landing sometime around 2020 – 2021.
    • Navi will also be the first architecture to transition away from GCN (and along with it, the 4096 SP / 64 CU limit that is inherent to the uArch implementation).
    • ‘Next-Gen’ architecture is the uArch formerly codenamed KUMA internally before AMD decided it didn’t like that name too much (oops) and will be based on the same brand new major architecture that AMD rolls out with Navi.
    maybe a new GPU is not as close as we hope?

took none of your advise BTW and found a Powercooler 64 with an EKWB waterblock for a price well within my budget, i will try to post before vega 64 and after vs fury x if my head is in the best place after f%!king with the closed loop.
    now that is a great topic in itself, the nightmare of liquid cooling!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Looks like Navi10 will be the Polaris replacement. Vega performance with a lowered TDP. :)

16. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    2020-2021? lol

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If that stuff is true, wouldn't AMD's market share keep dropping? Especially if mining loses steam, which would even remove the occasionally gaming miners and pure ghosts from the statistics. Over here Vega 56 still costs more than a GTX 1080. I'm not sure if it's because there are still lingering miners buying them no matter the price, but if that's supposed to be the normal price, few gamers would buy one. If they end up with a 5% market share, it's a bit hard to see how they could keep things going. Basically they would need to feed money to the PC GPU side to keep it alive.

People who bought a nice Freesync screen won't be happy. But Nvidia will probably consider raising Gsync license fees further.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    My friend just did. Has 0 regrets. Got a special edition XFX Vega 64 Silver for $550.
    He has a 1080p 144hz panel and it is a big jump of over my Fury X I got back from him.

Maddness, G13Homi and OnnA like this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You were on 7950?
    So you have a Nice Jump also -> Consider good quality Freesync for it :D
    Best sweet spot for Fiji is 70-100Hz

PS. basicaly it's true, no regrets :D
    If i can have good deal on Vega64 (only 64 in my mind lol) i will go for it 100%
    I can bargain @ 600€ but only for Sapphire Nitro + LE ;)

G13Homi likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's good price. And I am sure that there is big jump in achievable fps or image quality. But with new GPUs around corner, one can only start having regrets upon comparison to new generation perf/price. And time for which current GPU delivered performance.
    I know that if I upgraded today, I would not be very happy in 8~12 months.
    Since I have Fury X from day 1, It really served well and I hope it will continue doing so. But to get new GPU, I would have to sell it. And I usually donate my HW.