Fun with the Russian Hammer (Mosin Nagant)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.StanleyDudek, May 14, 2008.

1. Mr.StanleyDudek

Mr.StanleyDudek Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    Here's my grouping at 50 paces. 30 rounds. Seated. Bayonet folded.

[​IMG]

As you can see it's putting them pretty tight, but high and left.

Tomorrow I'll get a group at 100 paces.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    fix your reticle!, you nuts? click it down and click it right. OR you cant control the recoil. that looks like it could be recoil issues and why the bayonet helps your accuracy. sorry, im a hard core sharp shooter. you're crazy for shooting against a cinder block wall without anything to collect the rounds. you may end up with a ricochet in the nuts

3. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    I'm not nuts, I know what to do with my sights.

I can control recoil, the bayonet puts tension on the barrel and pulls it to the right.

That's not a cinder block wall... I'm not crazy... that's the target pulled out of the ground and placed on a linoleum floor so that I can get a good picture.

That's a group to confirm that the rifle shoots high left.

The front sight has been pinged, and cannot be moved without making it loose, and needing to be re-pinged. Not to mention that there is not a reticle on a Mosin.

I'm going to buy one soon that will be in better condition, and most likely a different model. I hope to grab a longer barreled version and buy a fiber stock to go with it.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I tried a synthetic stock before not the best in my opinion

That's not a cinder block wall yar does not look like a block wall either

5. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    Went to Military Gun Supply and bought a M91/30 for $120.
    And a case of 880 rounds.

The good camera is out of battery so here is what I could get with the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Damn nice price I tried getting one locally and tehy wanted 400

7. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    I've put about 60 rounds through the 91/30 so far, and it shoots well.

But the stock, while in good condition, structurally, had a terrible finish. In some pictures you can see how bad it was. I've sandpapered all the lacquer off; the stock wasn't stained, the lacquer was just dark. So I can clean the wood and stain it some color.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a better shot of the case of 7.62x54R rounds:
    [​IMG]

The view downrange:
    [​IMG]

Gotta have one of these:
    [​IMG]

8. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    Here is a comparison of the stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll put at least two more coats of stain on and then a clear satin finish over that.

This already beats the crap out of the original lacquer used. That junk would flake off and leave the unstained stock showing through. Now if there is any damage, since the wood is stained, it should make a less noticeable scuff mark.

9. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    hey where'd all the pics go? i can't see anything :(

10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Bandwidth ran out or removed me thinks..

11. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    Are the images still not loading? Bandwidth shouldn't run out, I'm hosting these on Google.

I've put another coat of stain on and I'm waiting for that to dry. After that, one more stain, and then the finish.

EDIT: I AM running out of bandwidth! I'll have to host these somewhere else. They'll be down momentarily until I can move them. Perhaps Picasa will be more bandwidth friendly than my Google page builder.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  12. aircool

GPU:
    Photobucket FTW.

13. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    I have finished the stock on the M91/30:

[​IMG]

Hopefully my bandwidth holds up, as I haven't migrated these photos yet; and I'll be getting some better ones soon (i.e. outdoors with natural light).

I prepared the stock to be refinished by completely dismantling it. Then I sanded off all of the old lacquer with 60 grit (coarse) sandpaper, and worked my way from 60 grit to shape out any imperfections in the stock, to 100 grit (medium) to smooth the grain. I then began washing it with acetone to remove oils, sanding down the grain again after each wash. Once it was a smooth, dry, unstained peice of wood, I gave it a final sand with 150 grit (fine) to prepare for pre-stain.

After one coat of pre-stain, I again sanded it with 150 grit, and applied another coat of pre-stain. A final pass with 320 grit (extra fine [used from here on out]) and the stock was ready for staining.

Using the same pattern I stained and sanded for four coats of stain.

Then following the same procedure, I applied two coats of clear satin finish.

I had a lot of fun refinishing this stock, I'm impressed with the results.
    I'm going to also refinish the M44's stock. But not for a while. I'm going to first put a lot of rounds through the 91/30 in a day or two and see if this finish can handle the heat.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  14. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    My Dad and I had an old Lee-Enfield .303 with telescopic sight. It had a bit of a kick but was a very nice rifle. Unfortunately new gun laws in Australia meant we had to turn it in so it is probably crushed now. If you can get a later model Lee-Enfield they are pretty good rifles.

15. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    I would cry...

16. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I almost did cry just thinking about it. I was so proud of that rifle.

...One thing that does cheer me up is remembering the time we shot a Kookaburra (crazy bird that laughs really loud at you). It was laughing it's guts out then....CRACKkkk..... it fell from the tree like it was a stuffed toy, dead before it hit the ground. I don't encourage shooting native animals/birds unless you are going to eat them, but if it laughs at you I think it's fair game.

17. Mr.StanleyDudek

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
    A much better photo with much better lighting on the finished stock:
    [​IMG]

Now I'm off to shoot!

18. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    That stock turned out really nice Mr.StanleyDudek. You guys in Texas have it made with all of that land available for target practice. The fields here where I used to go shooting are now sprawling neighborhoods. :3eyes:

I picked up this Chinese made SKS for cheap. I removed the wood stock and bayonet and installed a Dragonov style composite stock with scope.

It's turned out to be a reliable and fairly accurate weapon all for less than $200. I also have a 20 & 30 round banana clips for it but I need to have it modified by a gunsmith for it to accept those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ammo isn't too expensive either, I picked up a thousand rounds of Wolf 7.62 x 39 mm at the local guns shop for target practice.

[​IMG]

19. aircool

GPU:
    I like the dragonov 'styled' stock on that although It does look shorter than expected.

20. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Yeah, stock is short and I'm over 6 feet tall which makes it even worse. The original wood stock was even shorter.

I wish I could have kept the bayonet on it - it's just to cool looking, lol. The composite stock won't accept it :(