Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

I agree with every single word of your statement ^^^^ :thumbup:

I had a discussion about year and so on Facabook with few of my friends about MS mistakes with Win8. My thoughts were 100% same like yours at above post.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't sell as well because it doesn't provide what people want....choice.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    MS has an identity crisis. They are like that guy who changes persona depending on who he is around because he never found himself.
    This will only serve to confuse customers once again and cast more lack of confidence in MS products than what they have now. Unlikely Win 9 will cast sales to put them back into their consumer glory days when they are gaining confidence and loyalties to other companies.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah...agreed. Maybe things will improve now that Balmer is gone.

5. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Thats my main problem with MS, not giving you any freedom of choice. Freedom, and choice, and a very pleasant user experience is why I fell in love with Linux.
    The start screen isn't terrible, but CLEARLY there are alot of people who just like the old start menu, and alot of like the start screen, but there is no option to have one or the other, and make everyone happy. Microsoft dosen't seem to understand that you can't just make a radical change, and not expect to get some backlash.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    For me windows 8 lacks non-metro, and thats it, its a little faster (specially boot) and better. Start menu is not a big problem, only thing is that sometimes accessing some control-panel like settings you get mixed between metro and start menu (which shouldnt be in a supossed upgrade), but apart from that, everything is fine.

I mean, when i access start menu, I dont care bout it taking the whole memory as long as it opens and closes fast (metro does), my metro "start-menu" is just a shortcut desktop and a search :p

I wouldnt pay for the upgrade, but if i got it free, its a little better than win7.

And yes, I'm using windows 8.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    taken from the article i linked to:

i don't know about you, but this is the meat of the article for me. did you even read the whole article mate?

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And how does apple provide choice with iphone? I do not understand this choice thing you are on about. What should there be to have some choice of what? It's clear that most android phones are the same apart from some external ui changes made by samsung, htc and whatnot. Kinda like linux with it's different distros.

But every closed system there is no choice in that matter.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I never use the control-panel like settings in windows 8 really. :eek: Only time I did was to change all the login images and so forth, I would guess everyone knows control-panel launches from the left corner as does the "start menu" but you need to push right mouse button.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Apple is losing market share to Android. Google allows the ODM to decide exactly what the default UI is going to look like. Once you buy the phone, you have the option to change the UI. Just look at the Google Play store. There's thousands of UI's and themes to choose from. You're not locked into a UI that doesn't work for everyone.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That is a good thing but it's not what everyone is after in mainstream, I think biggest advantage is cheaper phones compared to iphones tbh since there are way more of those in android selection then any other os. I did play around and even got new kernel and so forth for my samsung galaxy s3. And even my old Bada phone had ui change ability but I never do that. I'm actually happy with the stock one :D

I prefer windows phone os but the phones that are out there offer nothing over my s3 really that I need.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Choice? There are lots of choices in UI via 3rd party. Just buy something like Windowblinds if it's that important. Plenty of options out there to customize the look and feel of Windows 8 from that one program alone.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Theres such things for mobile which we were actually talking about? :D