Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Seriously? 5 pages on Start Menu? Really?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No. Try reading the thread it's not that hard. Start menu has barely been mentioned.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    i'm pretty sure the cold start ram usage is one of the least relevant points in the article.......

in any case, it could be cheap stuff just to prove a point, but it could be legit which is nice. and it's not only about 100 mb. the point is that the more ram you have available, the more windows tends to eat up. i would like to see a test with at least 4 gigs of ram, maybe the lack of ram usage scales.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I would just like to have a slim OS with little to none features.
    windows manager, file manager and... stop.
    Just good hardware management and not even internet browser, that i can install by myself.

Something like "windows CORE" ... i don't know.

I'm sick of installing an OS, and find out that than 1 Gbyte has to be downloaded for "security patch".
    Cmon , print new dvd... or give me new iso to download every month so when i do a fresh install i'm already updated.
    Who cares about touch interface, start button, is all crap.

Disable , disable, disable.... just don't sell me that stuff.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In windows 8.1 I kinda disliked that new start button, but now its better to be honest, no need to be so precise by lower left corner anymore. In win8 I sometimes clicked on first icon instead of that hoovering start icon..

By windows 8.2 its apparently both ways, normal click on start would give you metro, right-click old classic shell look or the other way around, idk anymore.

6. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    I switched to W8 only because of BF4. Windows 7 was perfect. I never said I would hate W8 and I always try to be open-minded about new things. I have to say that first after install I felt so lost and could not understand how to use it. Now after installing Start8 program everything is back to normal may be because my W8 looks like W7 (God bless those smart people who wrote this program). I think bringing back Start button will be very welcome change for a lot of people like me who are not related to computer too much.
    I would like to know if we have to pay for W8.2 or it will be free upgrade like service pack or something. I just bought W8.1 only two weeks ago.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Stop babbling. The 100MB difference shown in the task manager was the only reason u linked to that "article". (I use the word loosely).

And the meat of your "article" was summed up with this load of tripe;
    :D:D

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Mr_Alexander

Yes it will be the same like now win8 free upgrade to win8.1.

9. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Ok. Thank you.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    +1 on all accounts.

"It's about a company too arrogant to listen"

Agreed.. the fact that all this time they were so proud of Win 8 even though sales were poor and adoption rate low while downgrading to win 7 was high, they refused to realize they were being too rigid and stubborn instead of giving users what they wanted.. why change what isn't broken?
    And yes, forcing updates onto users as well..

Honestly, I would love nothing more than to see someone from MS come right out and say to its userbase that it was a bad idea instead of going along now with this air of "we're doing what our users want" blah blah blah.. you're doing what is going to try to salvage some hope for your OS after you strongarmed your ideas onto consumers ala Apple. Call it for what it is MS..

"u may surprised at just how many systems still run XP"

It never fails to amaze me how many people, especially on Guru3d, seem to think that XP has just disappeared into history.. do people here not realize that there are still countless numbers of PCs in the world that are on XP and probably always will be? I mean seriously.. who could think that XP is no longer used? Grab a brain!

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    All the PC's I use at work with the exception of my laptop which is W7 ultimate are still on XP pro.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well you know how it is mate....
    There are the few who think what's happening on a forum like this is representative of the whole world....and due to ignorance believe they are seeing the big picture.
    Their own personal experience becomes the norm, they have acquired deep insight from being a member of tech community. So obviously if others on said site have upgraded to W7 then everyone else in the world has too....right? :D

Lol these guys have no idea what they see is a just a glimpse compared to what we do..... but I digress.

Anyway good to see you back again, been busy irl I guess?

I start offering my services for free next week, to help a Community Center educate computer illiterate individuals (mainly poor and elderly).....no hotties sadly,.

Should be interesting :)

13. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    Started using W8.1 and it feels like W7, in games wise. Boot up is snappier, but I dont care for the apps. W8 crashed a lot for me so I didnt make the transition from W7. Ill stay with 8.1 but hopefully we can manipulate the future UI in W9 for our own personal tastes. Like HOTS Menu screen.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    RAM utilisation should go up when you add more RAM regardless of the OS, my system used 1.5GB of RAM when I had 4GB. Now that I have 8GB utilisation went up to 2.0GB on Windows 7. Windows 8 may probably have less of a footprint or it may have more of a footprint, I can't answer that as I only have a laptop in the house with Windows 8.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Fair enough :)

Good to hear you're keeping busy and good on your for offering your services!

I have been very busy, but excited to wind down for the holidays here in a bit

Kinda miss this place! *tear*

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Interesting how people make generalized claims based on nothing more than personal experience....exactly what Scooby and I just talked about.

The amount of RAM used doesn't increase with the amount installed unless Stupidfetch is running.
    Not in a way the average user would know about at least (like mapped files blah blah which don't count towards commit limit anyway).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Why change if something isn't broken? so we won't get stuck in the past. Only way to go forward is to change things, learn from those changes and then test something else. There is no way to know what people want if you do not just release stuff and see how people react to it, every company does that in the end make changes revert on some cases. Like ms seems to be sadly doing.

I think they did mighty fine replacing that archaic never used start menu. People then got scared cause it isn't there.

Work places are different in adapting os's then again. What was clear that no workplace ever would adapt windows 8 since they are slowly moving to windows 7. It's too costly and takes time to get everything up and running on certain os. So immediate change won't happen. Maybe some will adopt 9. While others stay at 7 and wait for the one after 9.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Thing is, MS isn't actually learning. Look at the mobile market. People want choice.... Android is winning in the mobile market because it offers what people want....choice. There's enough "choice" to drive you insane.... MS needs to start offering choice in their products.

19. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    any announce dates for 8.2 ? i would luv to install it if its thats the case with start button

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    choice maybe for mobile phones. if you are meaning that almost every big manufacturer has their own ui for android. they are learning with Xbox and windows. Their market share is crap and small for phones and I actually do not hear that much complaints about the os for that matter, it just does not sell as good.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013