Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    i have posted this before and i will do it again. i just do not understand why there's so much bitching going on about windows 8. last year i refused to switch to windows 8 because of people like these. saying that the metro ui sucks and ESPECIALLY that there's actually no PHYSICAL start button (which is obviously not true, ever since windows 8 the start/metro button has always been in the lower left corner of the screen).
    the metro ui is the same concept as the start button, even better functionality-wise. why are people bitching about it? because it's FULL SCREEN? goddammit i'm sick of stuff like this. metro has the same function as the old start menu, THE END. i highly suspect that most people here that are still bashing the metro ui are still windows 7 users that simply tried metro for 5 minutes, said it sucks because it's different and went back to 7.

don't get me wrong. i loved 7. more than i loved xp. and i didn't like the idea of having metro. but when i tried it, i simply got used to it so fast that i don't necessarily want the start button back. the only feature that i didn't like was the fact that they added 3 separate tabs for searching while in metro (apps, files and settings). that's it. get real guys. you can't possibly bash metro just because it's full screen.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most of those bashing Windows8, are self-proclaimed "power users"....who should be able to easily adapt to a new OS....

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    yeah, people like these should do a trial run with the more user-unfriendly linux distros.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol "A better multitasking environment"...?

[​IMG]

Good to know. :D

5. JulesCools

JulesCools Banned

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Logic prevails in any discussion. Power users you say, people who are talented with computers. They're supposedly smart, yet they don't move over to Windows 8. Your perception- they aren't smart, because they didn't 'adapt'. Their perception: it's a ridiculous and unnecessary change. Games perform well here, no need for it.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If most of those complaining about Win8 were forced to use Linux (not counting Android or Chrome) as opposed to Windows, they'd probably give up computers.

You're comprehension isn't very good as that's not what was said. The self-proclaimed "power users" are complaining about the lack of a start menu and declaring Windows8 unusable simply due to that.

Yeah.... even I don't get that statement. I've yet to see where Win8.x handles multi-tasking any better than Win7.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS

it's not necessarily about adaptation. windows 8 has other great features mainly within the lines of resource optimization. generally, a 'power user' will obviously ignore a damn full screen start button in favor of better stuff 'under the hood'.

this is the main reason i switched to 8. i didn't notice a big performance gain on my ssd-driven desktop, but my hdd-driven laptop saw a lot of benefits in fluidity. and especially in the windows7-specific 'boot to desktop -> 2 mins of unusability' chapter.

8. JulesCools

JulesCools Banned

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Resource optimization means what. I'm interested in performance, like most of us here resources are a plenty.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Resource optimization is exactly that. Optimizing the use of resources. Just because a few users have excessive quantities of memory, doesn't mean it's just fine to waste it. The better optimized the underlying codebase is, the fewer resources are used (or wasted) and the faster the code can be executed.

10. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    for one:

http://www.askvg.com/comparison-between-windows-7-and-windows-8-memory-management-system/

as you can see the memory management is smarter. and i'm sorry, but for me even 16 gigs of ram is not enough sometimes. 3d art is a hobby for me and believe me, there are moments when my renders push the ram capacity to its limits. one time i actually hit into page file. but when you get there, your pc isn't really usable anyway, so no improvements over windows 7 on that chapter. but i have noticed that when you get into the upper segment of ram usage, it starts releasing a surprising amount of ram, unlike windows 7 which as i recall wasn't impressive at all.

although xp was really funny at this chapter. it would just hit the memory limits like a wall and it's like it didn't even try to release any ram.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    all of that were in W7 already or as an easy tweak (as the "fast start")... no battle W7/W8 there it's the same more or less...

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    welcome to the club :) i agree on this point... but it's still a windows :puke2: lol

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    yeah i used those for a bit but its "still there" almost like malware :banana:
    Not like something that can be removed yet.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    maybe because you don't have tried enough.
    i still have a W7 to make some few stuff and some game that don't work on wine run but it is my main Os since years.
    once the adaptation made no comparaison possible... Linux is clearly freedom, and really unleash your computer.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How did you come to that conclusion when they are using the same amount of memory?
    The only difference between those 2 screenshots is the Working Set which is probably trimmed in W8. This can be done in W7 as well with the right software.

As if 100MB even matters anyway......

RAM is there to be used, that was part of the idea behind StupidFetch.....

[​IMG]

The number of processes running on each OS are obviously skewing these results also. Pretty amateur stuff imo.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that is not even a win8 task manager ^^

17. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    the exact same garbage removal and "modding?" (removing indexing and crap) u can do in win8 and win7
    the ideea is u can remove crap from win7 ... to make it nicer...
    but win8 is lacking stuff... u need 3rd party software to get to the same lvl as win7 ... eye candy wise and maybe even performance (metro should stay on phones and tablets not desktop)
    so why bother removing metro ... adding a 3rdparty start button... adding aero glass ... when sticking to win7 and just removing some useless stuff is easier...
    Some1 said that win8 is optimized for FXs ... my FX isn't shuttering ... its not hanging on me ... the real optimized kernel is ubuntu's imo

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This is actually the dumbest post I've read so far this morning. What does the overall appearance of an OS, have to do with it's usability?

19. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    because the discution it self was about why is win8 not like win7 then it degenerated to "but it r faster" ... so gtfo if u didnt read all other replies to post a decent reply other than "it r dumb"
    i guess i could be to blame ... i didnt quote every single reply:bang:

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's the excuse people fall back to when they have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Looks wise I prefer 8.1 now, 7 now looks like XP did when I used 7.
    Looks is personal preference though, so is of limited importance.