1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea we want aero back or gtf ms, i love how the plain and bold w8 looks on tablets and phones but i cant stand it on my main rig that kind of look is just for toys ms should understain that jeez

2. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    .....late than never.... but really it's LATE.....

To MS: save ur bucks than concentrating on 8.2....or ( 8..9999999....on day 1)
    -----------------------------
    Read

3. Sylver123

Sylver123 Member

GPU:
    XFX GEFORCE 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI & TV
    I will make the switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8.2 if they
    do bring back the Full Start menu just as Windows 7 has and
    possibly bring back the full Window Aero Glass again.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I hate aero. And 8 adds more than just memory reductions and DX.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    You're forgetting 2nd and 3rd world countries. Last time I was in Fortaleza (Brazil), seeing a computer with more than 1 GB of RAM was a surprise (obviously new computers have more RAM, but still... lots of people there can't afford new computers and don't know that adding RAM will actually help them a lot).

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    How is it too late? I just got done saying Windows 8/8.1 is just getting started as it is.

We don't even have DX11.1/11.2 titles yet. This is nowhere near the end of a run for windows 8. Chances are Windows 9 will cost little to nothing in 2015 for Windows 8 owners.

I think you guys really need to relax and DL a Free start bar app until 8.2 or something.

Think of us Windows 8/8.1 users as early adopters. It WAS a test run to be sure, but all of the people complaining could have done something about the Startbar until the official integration. Instead of doing nothing people just complain.

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Ghehe. What a predicament. MS tries its best to get the start button back, but has no idea how to do that or what people mean by it. I guess they will get it by the time 8.3 will be released. :p

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    To add an option, at the point where it should be presented to users, they'd have to rewrite the Windows installer.

Quite honestly, I don't want the start menu back. Any "upgrade" that forces the start menu on me, isn't one I'll waste my time with.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i am planning to stick to W7 for as long as possible but this is good news.

however, i'm not going to upgrade unless they turn W8 into W7 usability wise, taskbar, full desktop and a full startmenu and so on with none of the Media Center like Metro Windows Phone stuff, anything less than that = sticking to W7.

the full start menu is a step in the right direction, guess i'll have to wait and see, hope it don't turn out a half-arsed attempt ;)

10. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I really don't get all the complaining about the win 8.1 start menu. I highly suspect the complaints are from people who haven't used it or tried win 8 but never gave 8.1 a chance. 8.1 works really well on my desktop and laptop and the start menu is pretty much the same concept as win 7 only full screen. I actually find that I like it a lot better now that I am used to it. Some people just can't handle change but I hope that we don't have to all be set back by this. Hopefully this is toggle-able (kind of how boot to desktop was) so that we can still use the full screen start menu on 8.2.

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    you just need to get out more then, even non power users complain about metro ui.
    It really is just a poorly chosen UI. Until i can choose to disable it I'm not going to use win8.

12. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    People will only adapt to and accept change willingly when the change is of a clear benefit to them.

My laptop has been running Windows 8 since launch day, I know my way around it just fine, but I will still take Windows 7 over it any day.(which is what my desktop has).
    IMHO from a user standpoint Windows 7 is the superior OS, even though Windows 8 has some nice under-the-hood improvements.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah agreed, which brings me to my next gripe. M$ instructed their OEM partners to stop shipping 7 with new machines, trying to FORCE W8 into the Enterprise/Commercial/Tertiary/Prebuilt sectors.

This is pretty mind boggling given; the 12yr lifespan of XP, W7 is a mere 4yrs old, reluctance of IT managers/admins to move away from a stable and comfortable OS,...and of course the old "if ain't broke..." philosophy as you said.

Just to name few reasons.

MS aren't winning many friends in the above areas.....

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I agree I was turned off by the lack of options and never jumped on the 8 bandwagon

15. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth on this one. They aren't too arrogant to listen to customers if they are instituting these changes.

I find it hard to begrudge MS for trying what they did. Of course there was going to be push back about the start menu thing, but if they had listened immediately nobody would have even tried it. They didn't give you the option so you had to make a real assessment. Now that that time has passed and people still want the start menu they are adding it. In your eyes this is pretty much a no win situation.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I like the 8.1 start button. nothing wrong with it.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    "Talking out of both sides of my mouth" what the hell does that mean?

MS are very arrogant, the ONLY reason they are even doing anything at this belated stage is to try and salvage this disaster and boost sales.

They have no choice.

18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Okay...I never said they weren't complaining. Actually that was the whole point of my post. Metro apps aren't forced and can be removed very fast. You can use all desktop programs if you want. You're then left with the start menu which works very well and functions the same as win 7. If you actually tried 8.1 instead of bashing it, you would see what I mean.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    lol you've been able to disable it since it was released with the help of 3rd party start menus

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    it is not Metro... it is ModernUI
    i stay Linux as for myself :)

because it has always be like that since windows 3.0 if i remember...
    one fancy bling bling and one more asetic.

yes it add the non-choise to user for a lot of things.

It was possible on W7 why should it wasn't possible on W8.2?

in term of speed and stability of the OS W7 or W8 are the same. but that's maybe due to the fact that i have lot of mem on all my computers.