Full power, small case. Is it out there?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ali As, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ali As

Ali As New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD5750
    I am looking to deploy the latest motherboard for AMD threadripper 19xx series, proper GTX1080, some RAM. M.2 and a few SATA3 SSD's and..thats it.
    Thing is, I only see old school midi/maxi cases out there, made to fit 8x HDD etc..

I'd like the smallest case possible to fit those key components. With water cooling this should not have to exceed the size of the motherboard, the height of the graphics card. The PSU i would even consider outside of the box.

Looking forward to some crazy brilliant ideas.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If by water cooling you mean custom loop (pump, radiators, reservoir, etc...), there no way you fit it in a small case.
    Crazy idea would be to move water cooling outside of the case.

EDIT: There no mATX motherboards for threadripper, you gonna need case that supports at least ATX motherboard. You have to decide which motherboard you gonna use, measure it as well as GPU and start measuring case size from there.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Finding such case can be difficult but I would have look on Caselabs BH8 or BH4 which are really nicely made cases and supports what are you want..

Then there are few others from Jonsbo or Parvum and few others

But agree with above moving radiators outside the case, something like is Mo-ra3 420mm, friend running this radiator and he is cooling 3*GPUs plus 1950x and no issues, GPUs stays at 40°C as max

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Ali As

Ali As New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD5750
    Hi Jura,

Thanks for your ideas. These boxes are relatively small (and to Sverek's point it should be ATX, so it would be the BH8), but still.. too big. The Mo-ra3 is a beast hahahahaha. Seems made for a data center.
    Maybe I need to retract from water cooling as all components run well at stock on air cooling. The idea was more around noiseless cooling, but you can achieve this with pretty small water cooling devices as well or..fans it is..
    With all the tech becoming small.. I simply feel the cases are in the Jura age still. I currently have a full tower and just because I can I have thrown a whole bunch of HDD's and SSD's in there.. Makes no sense to have my workstation act as a server though..
    I'd like to go small footprint for my work station. Have a server on 10G with all the big disks in a dark space and be happy ever after (for a while anyway).

5. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I recently built for friend Caselabs BH8 we are used TR4 1950x and 3*GPUs GTX1080Ti,all under water and we are went route of the Mo-ra3 420mm as he wanted quiet PC for his work

Radiator has been connected through QDC fittings

PC is very quiet,under load fans still spins at 600-700RPM and his temperatures are pretty good at GPUs at moment he sits at 40-42°C during the rendering session, during the gaming he seeing 38-42°C as max, I think temperatures would drop a bit if he run fans bit faster

Then friend have Node 804 which is pretty small case which I quite like it

Mo-ra3 agree is beast there, but this radiator should be able cool multiple GPUs plus CPU at reasonable noise levels

Have look my case is Caselabs M8 with pedestal, there I running 4*360mm radiators and 27*120mm fans and 2*140mm fans, all fans are controlled by the Aquaero and by water delta T, fans during the idle sits at 600-700RPM and during the load or when water delta T is above 7°C fans will starts to spins faster gradually, at 7°C delta T fans will spin at 800-900RPM as max and at these RPM PC still is quiet, I work during long nights and sometimes I do work with PC 16-18 hours per day when I have tight deadlines

Noiseless cooling is possible but this depends on few things there, I have used in my Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC Raijintek Morpheus II cooler which has cooled my Titan X SC easily with temperatures in 42-45°C range, then same cooler I used on my friend GTX1080Ti where his temperatures are in 42-45°C as max, he have my old case Enthoo Primo and for CPU cooler we are used Noctua NH-D15 on his 5820k

If you are looking at low noise PC then I would go with big case like are Caselabs SMA8 or TH10 etc which supports multiple radiators and with larger amount of radiators plus fans you can run fans at low RPM, in some cases turn fans off during the idle etc and set fans to spins when water temperature is above certain degrees like I used in past(in my case 30°C has been threshold to fans turn on), more radiators at lower speed fans you need run

As small workstation there are options what you want from PC and how small case should be but everything is possible all depends on budget and bit of imagination

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. Ali As

Ali As New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD5750
    Thanks Jura,

Very insightful.
    I did stumble upon a case, Kimera Cerberus, that would fit the bill. It just doesn't seem to be available to buy.. some builds look like they have it all.. multiple fans, full ATX, the works. You'd think with the current levels of globalisation and it just being a case.. there would be other options (the kind that you can buy..) available or how about 3d printing this baby..? :)
    the search continues!

Alias

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018