Full-HD TV to PC capped at 1360x768!

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Wicky, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    I bought a Sharp LC32-LE600 LED-TV as replacement for the old 19" CRT which I've been using since ten years. Now, the manual says, that my 1920x1080 Full-HD TV is capped at 1360x768 when connected to a PC.

Now I am totally stumped, because I didn't knew that. Not even the datasheet from the original manufacturer, sharp.com told one word, that PC-input can't display 1080. I'm unsure if I should give this LED-TV back, are they all limited to 768p when connected to a PC?

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Nope, most LCD's connect at 1080p if they can infact display 1080p .

The question is, what connection is your "PC input"? If we're talking about D-sub (VGA) then it can be a little up in the air. VGA is an analogue signal and lacks the bandwidth to display a 1920x1080 resolution anywhere near as good as it's digital counterparts (Dual Link DVI and HDMI respectively). It may be that theres a limit the manufacturer imposed on that input or it's a limitation of the panel.

If you haven't already done so, i'd recommend you connect via HDMI. It will give you a much clearer image anyway.

3. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Yep, PC input has gotten me occupied as well that's why I first bought a male2male D-sub15pin (VGA) connector for 10$, but it got capped at 768p.
    Then I bought a DVI to HDMI cable for another 20$ and I got totally different results. The resolution was somewhat "dirty" and letters appeared unclear, at up to 1080p. But at 768 everything got sharp and normal again. While HDMI seems to support all resolutions on my monitor, I'm baffled because in the manual of the LC32LE600 it's says clearly, that it can't. There's a list of all resolutions when connected via HDMI to a PC and 1080 is not supported, yet it worked despite the letters on screen beeing almost unreadable.
    Unfortunately I don't seem to have any luck with LCDs. I have got to hold my breath long enough to skip this tech and jump from CRTs right to holographic devices. Which means I must hold on to my current CRT monitor and make it last at least 30 years!

4. Passion Fruit

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Is there a setting anywhere on your TV that lets you enable 1:1 pixel mapping?

5. JC[UK]

JC[UK] Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GT 540m
    I had the same issue with my old Sony Bravia, it was a 1080p tv yet was only able to display at 1360x768 with a PC connected but my Samsung TV displays PC input at 1920x1080 over VGA and HDMI, so i'm guessing the problem you've got is a TV limitation same as the Bravia.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    did you connect it via VGA or HDMI ? my VGA is also capped for me.

7. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    @whitelightning:
    yep tried both.. spent over 30$ (damnit) just in cables to try out all available connector options including male-2-male dsub-15 pin vga connector and dvi-2-hdmi

@Passion Fruit
    Unsure, yes and no. In the paper-printed manual it says, there is an option for 1:1 pixel output. But on the LED TV's menu, I have checked every command, every line, even all buttons of the remote control three times, there is NO option to set this. The paper manual is some kind of multi-manual for several LED tv's at once, yet I am 100% sure there is no option for 1:1 pixel output on my monitor, so the description probably applies to another TV-series.

@JC[UK]
    Yep, exactly it IS 1920x1080. Yet the PC-input is limited, maybe there is a limit when the signal comes from outside? Maybe it can't read more than 1360x768, and only the internal tuner can display 1080p? If that is so, ****.

This is a lot beyond my mind... a graphic card capable of 25xx resolution, a TV capable of 19xx, and HDMI capable of almost infinite res... yet when they work together it is capped at 1360 lol... I so don't get it what is going on here !! But if you are right I will give it back and reclaim my money.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    My little £170 acer netbook can do 1080 over VGA to my HDTV (LG M2394D). Also our other TV LG 47LH3000 can do 1080 from PC via vga (desktop/laptop), or DVI > HDMI just fine from my desktop.

9. Passion Fruit

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I think it's mostly a limitation of the panel.

If a panel supports 1:1 pixel mapping, it will scale it to the screen and everything will look ok, if not, then you'll be looking at an image a god would probably bork at.

It seems logical that the D-sub input would be capped as a result, as it's also labelled "PC input"... im guessing the manufacturers never really intended for the HDMI ports to be used by anything other than an XBOX or Blu-ray player which makes sense if the panel has no option for 1:1 pixel mapping. If the HDMI ports were capped, then you'd essentially be locking out any other HD compatible piece of hardware, essentially turning a 1080p TV into a 720p TV.

The Nvidia drivers can also apply 1:1 pixel mapping as far as im aware, but im not sure about ATI, perhaps have another look around to see if you can find anything that will map the pixels to the correct size in CCC or on the TV OSD again.

VGA can display resolutions as high as 1920x1080, the limit isn't with the input, but the digital alternative is much better.

10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I had a similar issue with my Samsun 40" LCD. I resolved my issue by trying a different HDMI port on my LCD. I found only one port shows 1080P correctly, which is port 2 on my HDTV. Also in the HDTV setup be sure to choose the correct name for port you use for the PC, which is PC. Some LCD HDTVs need you to name the port correctly so it removes any artificial sharpening, edge enhancements, & contrast enhancements which can cause text to looks a blurry.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    My Sony does accept just 1366x768 thru PC input, so I drive it via HDMI to get 1080p which works fine (after changing the first el cheapo cable that could do just 1080i).

12. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA 260gtx 216 SSC SLi
    Bought my Mom a Panny lcd for birthday and it did the same damn thing using VGA. Ran it through HDMI and it's 1080p. Personally that's why I stick to Samsung, they do not have any connection limitations, even allow 1080p through component.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Its not a VGA limit, it's your TV not supporting that resolution via that connector. VGA connectors can support resolutions up to 2048x1536.

Its like the Xbox 360 being able to output 1080p via component cable. The system can do it, but very few TV's can accept a 1080p signal through the component cable inputs.

Stick with HDMI.

14. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Well doh, I've repackaged the TV (had all the original wrapping still lying around) and sent them an e-mail that I want a money refund. I hope they will give me all back.
    It says clearly in the manual, that this LED-TV has limited compatibilty to PC. Damn, it said this neither on the seller's webpage nor in the datasheet from the original manufacturer (sharp)
    Wish me luck that I get all money back. :(

15. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    If your only using this tv for a monitor and you really want LED (which isnt that much better than normal lcd unless its fully backlit with local dimming), I'd go with a Samsung XL2370-1. If not get something else like a Samsung P2570 or Samsung P2770H. I'm just tossing names out. I dont know if those are the best monitor for the price. Most of the time with samsung you can get the "HD" version of the screen which means it has a tv tuner in it, so you could just use it as a tv too...

16. spanisheyes

spanisheyes New Member

GPU:
    GMA950

Hey, You got your refund ? or what happened ?
    I am in the exact same situation here, bought Panasonic LCD just two days back.:bang:

OMG I am again in NO MAN'S LAND. :bang:

17. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    dunno about you, but my 37inch panasonic ips panel TV is pretty darn good.

just dont use vga. its 2011. no reason to not use hdmi/dvi.

18. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    HDMI, turn off overscan/underscan in drivers, and the TV, sharpness 0%, image enhancement features off, fixed.